Nugget Shooter Forums

Grandson 12; First Detector

dredgebug

Has anyone here had any experence with the Garrett ACE 350? My 12 year old grandson wants to start coin hunting at the local parks. I use an Xterra 70 for coins and a GB2 and GPX 4000 for gold.

I have heard good mostly about the ACE 350 but would like to hear from a few folks that have actually used one. Any other suggestions on a machine in that price range that would be a good first coin detector? I think he would like a digital screen.

Thank You

Glenn

I have one of the ACE 250's and my wife loves it for coin hunting.

Simple to use and very durable.

Great thinking grandpa Glenn....better to have the young ones doing good sports with grandpa instead of

drugs on the streets.....

Your starting off just as I did with my son and now my grand-son....

Good enough to get him going at this exciting time in his life. I started with a Tandy Craft kit from Heathkit BFO and haven't quit in 51+ years. What a fantastic addiction to be had anywhere-Good Grandpa-John

Tesoro also makes a detector called the Compadre http://www.tesoro.com/product/detectors/compadre/ that is around 200.00 that has a lifetime warranty and it a very good beginner unit for coins and relics and I just happen to have one in stock...

I would 2nd Bills comment on the Tesoro Compadre a turn on and go detector with an excellent factory standing behind it.

Getting a youngster a detector with bells and whistles ( and controls that have to be set ) for a 1st detector may put the kabosh on the kids enjoyment and taking to the hobby.

I was a proud Tesoro dealer for over 10 years before I retired from sales and best warranity'service/folks bar none. Both decent units as todays lowball are better than 99% of what was best in the vlf world just a few years back. Amazing technology leaps in the past 15 years or so. Get up and get out with that boy whilst ya still can as at that age MANY things will happen soon,hold on tight,raised 4 myself and WOW from 12 on.....away they go-John

• 2 weeks later...

Tesoro is a great company and stands behind their products. I screwed up my original coil (TLS)and they tuned the new one to match no charge. Again a great company and great people at the factory in Prescott.

Logans first nugget found with a Minelab Sterling.

It may be old but is still can hang with any VLF made today. In fact his mom was using a GB pro and it would not hear this nugget.

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

I've seen many MANY nuggets 1/10 that size easily found with the GB Pro so either the unit is defective or not tuned right. Ray(TrinityAU) sends me pics all the time,and many friends now swing them exclusively and have 100s of sub grainers to prove it also-trying to help and NOT criticize as definately not running right??? John :hide:

Well, John when you factor in the coil size's and the operating frequency then the depth of the target its easy to see how.

In this case the target was simply out of range of the GB Pro's 5" coil.

The Sterling is a great detector for a youngster, you can hunt silent with full discrimination and sensitivity In hot trashy ground.

Archived