Nugget Shooter Forums

Smallest Nugget Detected So Far

GeoJack

Well, tonight was one tough hunt but the GB2 came through. Tried to weight it in but my scale couldn't display a number.

Less than .1g

9.5" coil and in loose tailings a couple of inches deep. Got another quartz/rock at 2.2g but tossed that in the acid rinse to clean down to just the gold.

It's still out there! Come on $2k a oz.

I have to hand it to Fisher for tuning my coils and cleaning up my unit for a great price and service.

post-25522-0-99646300-1347319885_thumb.j

Yep, as stated above, Fisher in Texas, get an RA number (return authorization) and send in what coils you have for your unit for a calibration. I have been working this one pile and never found anything remotely that small before and this is with the 9.5" coil which I prefer over the 6".

I bought my GB Pro used and it came with both a 5" and 11" coil. I assume they were all purchased together but not sure of it. I will give them a call in a bit. Thanks for the info Rick.

Shortly after I got my 2100v2 I contacted Minelab USA via email to see about a "tune up" because I bought it used. I was told if there is nothing noticeably wrong with it there was nothing they can do to "tune it up"...Seems to work fine so...

Jeff yours is a Pulse Induction ( P.I.) detector.

The Gold Bugs are a different operating system (VLF) very low frequency.

2 different design machine principals

VLF's

http://www.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/other-gadgets/metal-detector2.htm

P.I.'s

http://www.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/other-gadgets/metal-detector4.htm

If there is nothing awry, then there is nothing to do...the trick is knowing if there is a problem. This is especially difficult for "nubbyans" or nubs for short...it can also be a problem for older more experienced dottering fools like me...(still crying over missed nuggets with a then malfuctioning 3500)...

If you can go out with another detector of the same make/model, then you can compare functions and results...

fred

The "tech" guy was out when I called Fisher today. Will try again tomorrow now that I have his extension number.

Interesting you posted the links to "How Stuff Works" Frank. My ex-brother-in-law, Marshall Brain, conceived and started it. He sold it, bought it back, sold it again to the Discovery Channel I think. He did a television program titled interestingly enough "How Stuff Works" for a while and suddenly seemed to cut all ties with it. A def brainiac, but a bit strange and very tight with his money.

Jeff yours is a Pulse Induction ( P.I.) detector.

The Gold Bugs are a different operating system (VLF) very low frequency.

2 different design machine principals

VLF's

http://www.howstuffw...l-detector2.htm

P.I.'s

http://www.howstuffw...l-detector4.htm

Yes Frank.... I know the difference... Been swinging various detectors for several years now... Off and on...(Tesoro Lobo ST, GMT, TDI and now an SD2100v2) Just stating what I was told via Minelab. Thought it would be helpful to some.

Nice going Rick!

I talked to Daniel at Fisher and he told me that the calibration for the Gold Bug Pro was handled by the software in the unit. No adjustment available except for mineralization level I think is what he said. Anyway I will wait until I get to AZ and maybe someone can check it out to see if they think it is working corectly. I think it is but have no experience to go by.

Thanks Stan. Best way to check the detector in my opinion is to make a test stick. I use a chopstick and epoxy a small lead split weight to the end. Then I mark the chopstick in one inch increments. When I go detecting, I tune to the soil then toss the stick on the ground and swing the coil over it to check the tone. I then stick it in the ground about 4" and repeat the test.

Gives me confidence I am going to hear what is there. Depth will vary with soil mineralization.

REALLY glad mine was tuned up. Finding stuff in areas I have already covered. Big and small.

GB2s with the 6.5" coil are capable of detecting specks of gold that will only register on scales calibrated to the nearest one-thousanth of a gram, i.e., specks that are lighter than .01g. It is fun and a challenge to see how low you can go.