Nugget Shooter Forums

Pearls

Anyone here ever dive for pearls or have any experience in working with them?

Ever drilled one ElDorado? It is like ivory or bone? Whenever I hold a pearl I always wonder how solid it is and what it would break like. Always wanted to fiddle with a cheap one just for kicks.

Anybody ever find a big ol' pearl fossil or heard of one? Inland pearls from Rocky Mountain oysters?

Here is a link to a fossil pearl found in Austria from some mollusk in the Miocene era. Hey, there are bound to be a few of these darn things laying around here in the remnants of the Miocene, Que no?

http://www.karipearls.com/fossil-pearl.html

How about freshwater pearls? I think they are neat shapes and they are bound to be worth something...

http://www.karipearls.com/natural-freshwater-pearls.html

With all of these fossil mollusk beds around here I have always wondered about this stuff. I have never really did any good research though. I figure if'n you could identify the right kind of fossil shell in a strata you might be able to find one. It seems every hillside has one kind or the other of fossil shells scattered on it. Get the right kind of critter and there might be some cool fossil pearls laying around that a feller never recognized before.

Bob I have some very old pearls and I learned that if you rub one up against your tooth if its a real genuine pearl it will feel gritty and if it feels smooth then its a cultured pearl.

Works I tried it.

I would imagine they would be brittle if you tried to work on them but don't know for sure.

Bob I have some very old pearls and I learned that if you rub one up against your tooth if its a real genuine pearl it will feel gritty and if it feels smooth then its a cultured pearl.

Works I tried it.

I would imagine they would be brittle if you tried to work on them but don't know for sure.

Brittle and layered kind of like an onion is what I suspect. And the tooth thing is neat. Never heard that.

This is a neat subject. I am fiddling with some mollusk beds right now and I was just thinking about this the other day as I was walking along looking at all the perfect fossils that were turning out of a layer of limestone. I started out looking for fossil shark teeth but figured I was probably in a whole different era with all of the mollusks there. Then I started getting that fossil pearl vibe and I have not been able to shake it. I figured I would ask about it while we were on the subject of pearls.

Betcha a fossil pearl would be pretty gritty. Just a hunch.

Works I tried it.

Thanks for that tidbit. I always wondered how in the world would someone be able to distinguish between a cultured pearl and a natural one. If there wasn't a way to do it, then the whole industry would be ripe for fraud.

Steve

• 2 months later...