Nugget Shooter Forums

FIRE SEASON

elder-miner

On labor day out in Junction City during the annual miners picnic a fire blew up way up on a hill and fire marshall showed my bud nothing there at point of ignition and proclaimed spontaneous combustion as nobody within 1/2 mile. Fires everywhere as kalif burns and we all choke,been run off claims a dozen times this summer. My trinity claims all closed by fires and smoke sic sic sic mama nature a suffering. be careful out there-John

You guys should check in with Don about how fires curtail prospecting.

Smoke so thick here---visibility is about one kilometer---and I live in the city.

Around about late August/early Sept. going beeping is dangerous. You can easily get caught in the wrong spot---or blamed. Lots of critters on the move because of fires---and a few of them are bad news.

Right now I was supposed to be taking bulk backhoe samples at our Idaho placer claims. Plan was 3 man crew to do from 20 to 40 bucket width samples to bedrock, remove about 1/2 yard out of the bottom & refill the hole on each. Then transport the sample material to the test plant & run it. An active 24,000 acre forest fire line burning ½ a mile to the NW of the claims sure but the kibosh on that plan.

This morning to get to the slave digs I drove through about 15 miles of still smoldering logs and trees....where I normally

see mountains 20 -30 miles away this AM it was down to 1/4-1.0 mile vis.....I was lucky I got through the area before the

forest service police (IBAMA) went to work....

Since we have a 12 month growing season here burning the old stuff off is a good thing except for the smoke......sure have

to be careful where I park the PU....always on a large patch of clean ground or burned ground....

As to what Mac G. said about getting blamed his sure right about that....the ranchers here want the old stuff burned

and they will fire it up and blame the prospectors.....on the other hand the prospectors also do their share or more

of burning.....they will take candles and stand them in a little mound of dirt then gather up a bunch of the dead and

dry weeds and build a stack against the candle and when the fire finally starts their in town drinking beer......

You guys should check in with Don about how fires curtail prospecting.

Smoke so thick here---visibility is about one kilometer---and I live in the city.

Around about late August/early Sept. going beeping is dangerous. You can easily get caught in the wrong spot---or blamed. Lots of critters on the move because of fires---and a few of them are bad news.

Wow guess I never pictured what we suppose is all jungle burning, but dry is dry isn't it?

Wow guess I never pictured what we suppose is all jungle burning, but dry is dry isn't it?

That is the what suprised me the most after moving here. I had been here during dry and wet seasons but really didn't get the impact. This state ( Goias ) is famous for it's Cerrado--think African Savahna. When it's green---it is really green. Right now we have gone five months without rain and it is brutal. Today will bo 100 degrees with no cloud cover and humidity about 3-4%---I could probally light my cigar by standing in the sun.

It does help with beeping next month or so. All the grass is burned off and the wooded areas are cleared of undergrowth.

Of course my anglo skin is full blown red-neck right now.

When I was down there with Don, we saw many fires. They are much different than our wild fires and burn pretty slow, pretty much consuming ground cover. We even had one break out in front of our hotel in Faina, no one even cared and it was just left to burn away for days..........

More fires-Castle Crags state park on fire now,I-5 corridor was closed on/off yesterday afternoon. No matter what direction the winds blows now we get smoke here in Redding and no rain as in zero-nyet-natha -zilch. I mined that area for 15 years every year and ALWAYS heavy rains during august and season over from rains by now ,but this year nuttn' honey sic sic sic -John