Nugget Shooter Forums

Any Ideas - Coin??

I found this coin. Any idea on value or info?? It's Austrian or German, I think..

DSCN0808.jpg

DSCN0809.jpg

Specs????

Thanks!

Jim

Can you tell what the metal is? Maybe Johnno has a clue.....

A silver alloy me thinks!

Carolus VI was ruler from 1711 - 1740 so the date 1712 fits. He was a noted holy roman emperor. He was born as Charles VI but baptized as Carolus VI. he was king of Germany , Hungary , Croatia , as well as archduke of Austria. This coin would be from one of those countries , and since he was in his second year as leader they probably changed designs alot ....and the coins from the three different mints all had different designs. I can only find images close but not exact , but there is a little starting point.

http://www.enotes.com/topic/Charles_VI,_Holy_Roman_Emperor

This one has almost all of the letters on your bottom pic but unfortunately there is no pic of it..

http://pt.numismaticon.com/catalog/Hungary/coin/(8f9429ca)-km-291-1-ducat-1712-1730

Rim

Thanks all!

I was told to look on page 95 of a Burton Hobson book??? Anyone have this???

Jim

Desert,

That's not it. The letters on the head side should start with a D. Look at the coin you showed us. The D is in the glare at bottom left side. Your link coin has a 3 in a circle which your picture don't show. What ever coin it is it must be worth a bunch. I hope it's the coin I found because it's 98% gold.

GL!

Rim

http://www.ngccoin.c...ldcoinid=364543 So far the closest I've come.

I agree that is a similar coin of a lower domination, it's 3 Kreuzer, your's appears to be a 6 Kreuzer.

I looked online for about 1 1/2 hours and found several 1712 3 Kreuzer like you've found, but as yet I haven't found a 1712 6 Kreuzer like your's, the 3 Kreuzer weights 1.6 grams, the 6 from other variants I found should weight around 3.02 grams.

Have you weighted your coin?

Skip

I'm confused. Dux means Ducat. Is a Ducat a Kreuzer?

oops! sorry. Dux is just mentioned in Ducat definition. Dux is a latin leader.

I agree that is a similar coin of a lower domination, it's 3 Kreuzer, your's appears to be a 6 Kreuzer.

I looked online for about 1 1/2 hours and found several 1712 3 Kreuzer like you've found, but as yet I haven't found a 1712 6 Kreuzer like your's, the 3 Kreuzer weights 1.6 grams, the 6 from other variants I found should weight around 3.02 grams.

Have you weighted your coin?

Skip

Hi Skip, I weighed it at 3 grams, so I suspect it's actually 3.02 grams. Sure odd we can't find it. I can't even find mention of a 6, so you did better that I did.

Rim, not gold.

I ended up searching 1712 ARCHID AUS DUX BUR SIL to come up with the 3 Kreuser, but no 6.

I am not a collector if any one is interested in it. Thanks to all for looking.

Jim

I contacted a Coin fellow back in New York and he suggested a different wording on the Google Search...

6 KRUZER 1712 and it worked! Several appeared. It appears these things are selling at 95 Euro's. Not too bad for a single coin!!!

Anyways, thought you might like to see how much better that wording in the search worked!

Jim

Jim,

Did you find an exact match to your coin?

I did numerous searches with various different wordings and still didn't find an exact match, but I did find several different variations of the 1712 6 Kruzer.

Skip

Yes, I think so....but it's on a pay site and can't / won't get to the data.

Their picture is terrible.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...