Nugget Shooter Forums

Assay Results today - Gold from Gold Basin.

Desertsunburn

I had sent in 9.5 grams of Gold Basin Nuggets and the assay came back as 92.7% gold. Started out with 9.5 grams, crummed one nug for a total of 9.2g. After melt weight was 7.8g. Thought you might like to see this!

Jim

I'm no expert, but 92.7% sounds like some pretty darn nice gold! How does that correspond to 24K? 14K? 18K?

Paul

I'm no expert, but 92.7% sounds like some pretty darn nice gold! How does that correspond to 24K? 14K? 18K?

Paul

22.248K based on 24k being .9999~ fine.

Another example... 14k. 14k is a percentage of purity and is alloyed with other metal. It's 14 part of a possible 24 parts. So, 14/24 = .58333~ or 58.3% gold

So, just reverse the math 58.3% times 24k = .58333~ x 24 = 14k

Lots of folks use .585 for 14k and that is actually the wrong direction of what they should be using as 14k is seldom ever 14k plumb in the world!

Another recent Assay was 92%. A big issue with nuggets is the rock in them if you are buying them for the gold. You can't just look at purity....the weight before and after melt are critical to the overall result. This is actually not real good. There is roughly a 22% loss there.

Jim

Did they happen to say what the Balance was? Mostly Silver?

I did not request it.

Assays of native metals are problematic. There are two types of impurities...alloyed and attached rock. Both will be very high when you are assaying coarse gold. The larger particles have a much higher percentage of waste rock clinging to them as well as a higher percentage of alloy metals.

Fine gold that has been weathered into small particles generally will assay much more pure. The waste rock has been eliminated in the weathering process and so have the alloys from the greater surface exposure. Finely sized particles generally run several percentage points more pure simply because of mechanical weathering.

You can have native gold that is .999 fine that will assay at 75% because of ilmenite inclusions. You can also assay fine gold that is .999 fine at the micron level yet the coarse gold will be alloyed as much as 20% with copper or silver. So when testing "pure" metal nuggets an assay is very subjective.

In other words one batch of nuggets from an area can be vastly different from the next batch in overall gold content where finely divided gold particles will test a lot more consistently. This may make a lot of difference depending on what you are using the data for.

Because I buy gold, I am VERY interested in Assay numbers. If anyone has assay results for Gold Basin proximity gold, or other areas for that matter, I am very interested in the numbers if you would be willing to share them.

Jim

Jim,

Good results back. I have had gold nuggets from gold basin acid tested, and almost always show up as 22K.

Dave.