Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elder-miner

PortaPotty

In this town (Uruacu) there are about 20,000 houses and for 70 some odd years everyone had/has septic tanks but

then when you think about it they also had wells.....so my question is how long does it take septic "stuff" to get to the

water table/level.....

The city now has piped in water but I still only drink bottled water....(probably bottled across town)....hope not....

Don ... From my experience in the real estate business back east ... septic systems and drinking or potable water from drilled wells9typically 100 feet or more deep) don't tend to mix if there is at least 75 feet distance from well head to closest section of septic system whether that be the tank or the field. When you are talking dug wells ... tend to be no more than 50 feet deep ... 100 feet distance between the two would be the minimum. A proper working septic tank will decompose the "waste" in the tank and return only grey water to the ground through the leach field piping. A system that is well maintained can last indefinitely. However, most systems are not properly pumped on a regular basis(every two years or less) and eventually push 'solids' out the exit baffle and into the field which then plugs the system eventually causing back-ups and wet and soggy fields. Those wet and soggy fileds are what contaminates more wells, especially dug wells, than the effluents from a properly maintained system. The best setup is to have a drilled well and septic system ... the drilled well is usually drilled into and below the bedrock and gets its water from the fissures in the bedrock well below the surface gravels where the septic gray water enters the ground and is actually filtered after a short distance into usable water again. The micro organisms in the soil naturally destroy what bacteria is left in the grey water when it leaves the piping of the leach field. Hope this helps.

Mike F

Nope Mike it doesn't change my mind a bit.....every lot here is less than 50' square and I haven't seen a drilled well yet....

all are big hand dug wells.....sticking with my bottled water.....even my dogs won't drink the other stuff...

I wouldn't drink that water either under those conditions. The chance of having e-Coli bacteria in that water is very high. I'm not sure I would even want to bathe in it as the bacteria would be in the water you shower in and I don't know about you but I tend to open my mouth when I put my head under the shower head spray ... water inevidably gets into my mouth which would contaminate me. The only solution to that would be a chlorination system and filter to help keep you healthy. A community water system should be in your future but still not drinkable as the taste and smell of the chemically treated community water would be unpalatable to me. Hoping that your coffee water is bottled water too!

Mike F

Mike for many years now we have had "city" water and at times they get to much Chlorine and I only use that water to shower in....all my drinking water and coffee water is bottled.....

Name of the bottled stuff is: Brahma.....Sol.....Kaiser....Budweiser.....Skol.....Heinkein.... :thumbsupanim

In the Philippines, Americans are warned to only drink bottled water & do not use ice in drinks.

Also, always make sure the snap lock plastic rings on bottled water caps are intact.

Local grocery stores are know to sell foreigners “bottled” water that they fill from a hose, behind the stores.

Lol, a bout of severe diarrhea or dysentery is no fun.

Yah ... I get some of the same baottled water around here ... plus Sam Adams, PBR, Dos Equis! :thumbsupanim :thumbsupanim Stay thirsty my friend! Mike F

My bottled water is in a Mt Dew Code Red can :D