Nugget Shooter Forums

Looking for "pocket pistol" recommendations

After taking the Boss out shooting the .357 she (my ol' lady of 25 years) finally understands my need/want of a smaller lighter cc capable weapon. I love .380's they are great fun for peppering a target but don't seem to pack a real world punch (at least the ones / ammo I've shot). Maybe something in 9mm. I have big hands so no sissy pistols 10 + 1 or bigger. Just needs to be around the $500 range... (according to the Boss)...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BJ there are so many opinions on firearms.....the best thing you can do is go to a large well supplied gun

store and see what feels right for your hands and budget.....the folks that work in the gun stores usually

know what to recommend.....if your lucky the store will have a pistol range where you can rent one and

see what it feels like in your hands...

As always Don... Quality advice. Going downtown tomorrow to take a look. It's been my experience that dealers of any kind... Cars, guns etc. will steer the uneducated toward the highest profit margin items with no matter to quality or reliability (except for the prospector types, who seem to be strangely honest for some reason). Just wondering if anyone had any personal favorites to narrow the search a bit. Or what to avoid. Thanks.

When you get into the store if they have them look at the XD Sub compact in a 40 cal.by Springfield Armory post-227-0-11896300-1346375700_thumb.jpg

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=302924387

Our pawn shop here has. If I didn't already own a 9, a 45, a 44 and 4 357"s I would buy it. It has the grip extender that fits my big hand nicely

I would recommend a glock 45 compact....Easy to clean and take apart..less than 4 seconds...... I also reload my own rounds and have never once had a jam or misfire.......These things are made solid and in life and death situations its important. I have the 21 sf 45acp and is my weapon of choice out in the field. it was 540.00 but they make a more compact version but the name I cant remember. Highly recommend Glock... no pins to pull out, nothing.... attach the slide assembly straight on the front and your ready to rock!!!

jerry

Nothing wrong with a 380. Just buy powRball ammo for it. That ammo has a lighter bullet that goes out faster and the ball in the hollow point helps the round feed and after the round enters the target it explodes. This round also works great in a short barrel 45. 1200 fps instead of 800. Less barrel but more punch because of the faster lighter bullet. A regular hollow point can clog on clothing and go straight out the target. Not powRball. Police firearms instructor for 30 years and that's what I carry

I am partial to American Made guns and I've been looking at this... It was the handgun of the year in 2011. It's smaller, lighter than the 9mm I have now. http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html

Bill's S&W looks sweet too! A hunting buddy has this one and this feels really good in my hand. http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html Super light compared to my P series. For really big hands, all of these small guns may have issues, I think. Head for a gun store and start checking them out!

Jim

Nothing wrong with a 380. Just buy powRball ammo for it. That ammo has a lighter bullet that goes out faster and the ball in the hollow point helps the round feed and after the round enters the target it explodes. This round also works great in a short barrel 45. 1200 fps instead of 800. Less barrel but more punch because of the faster lighter bullet. A regular hollow point can clog on clothing and go straight out the target. Not powRball. Police firearms instructor for 30 years and that's what I carry

Being you are an instructor do you think that PowRball ammo would be safe in a Ruger LCP 380?_____ I was kicking around getting a 9mm but this may be a good solution and how close would you compare this ammo to a 9mm?_____

Joe

It will be fine. #1 is something you can carry and not notice. I have a north American arms pug. 22mag with night sites. I have it in my pocket at all times. Unless they catch me with my pants down. 20 ft I can put one in your eye. I almost bought the ruger but did not care for the trigger pull. Did some tests at the range against the pug with the guns right up against the target. The ruger 380 did little damage. The 22 mag blew the target apart. You use the little guns in a fight by pressing them into the targets tummy. The gas blows the innards apart. I carry the pug

that's something....... what makes the 22 more powerful up close than the 380?..... I also have a 357 mag but it's hard to conceal and an 80 year old Marlin 22 long rifle and that thing is deadly accurate.

Joe

22mag twice the foot per sec. It's the gas that does the work not bullet size. When you press that little gun in the belly that 22 mag gas will do some major damage

Learn something every day as i do have a 22 pistol....will have to try that up close test on an object.

thanks,

Joe

Also, the lighter projectile from the .22 mag carries less inertia to push through, so it starts going all over the place once inside.

the .380, being around 150% larger, carries enough to go thru and thru at close range.

Me? I carry a S&W CS 45 auto. If I'm close enough to gut shot, I'm aiming for brains or heart where thru and thru doesn't matter :)

It's a short grip - but it's small, and darn fast to unload a clip.

You may get a good idea from bud's gun shop... they sell new and used and ship daily...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

Joe ,

try it on a watermelon ... cheap and a lot of fun. I carry my Hi-point 45 most of the time anymore... 10+1 and light enough for me with a composite frame. Tight groups and cheap enough that if stolen i am not out a ton of money ... american made in ohio and new in box was 180.00 alot of the sheriffs deputies had them back home so i figured it was good enough endorsement for me... they come in smaller calibers also...

Joe ,

try it on a watermelon ... cheap and a lot of fun. I carry my Hi-point 45 most of the time anymore... 10+1 and light enough for me with a composite frame. Tight groups and cheap enough that if stolen i am not out a ton of money ... american made in ohio and new in box was 180.00 alot of the sheriffs deputies had them back home so i figured it was good enough endorsement for me... they come in smaller calibers also...

I never heard of that firearm so i had to google it in several different places to read the reviews. For a .45 and at that price i thought i was going to get a lot of bad reviews but just the opposite, many many 5 star reviews..... I need to investigate this and thanks for the tip..... and the watermelon too

Joe

I never heard of that firearm so i had to google it in several different places to read the reviews. For a .45 and at that price i thought i was going to get a lot of bad reviews but just the opposite, many many 5 star reviews..... I need to investigate this and thanks for the tip..... and the watermelon too

Joe

Hi Point also has a lifetime warranty!

There are 2 types of pocket guns. One that will fit in your pocket and you know it's there and you do not keep it in your pocket at all times. It's not comfortable. I have several. The other type is the 22 mag pug. It's in my pocket at all times and I dont notice. Not the biggest powerful gun but I have it. If needed it can be used to good effect. That gun not in your pocket will do you no good on the dresser. Oh! When out and about I have other guns with me. Right Glenn

Hi Point also has a lifetime warranty!

Lifetime warranty is great and even better is Made in the USA...... I find myself looking more and more on different items i buy and most of the USA stuff is actually less expensive than their china counterparts..... I wish they could put a big tag on items that said "Made in the USA" but some attorney would probably rip that apart

Joe