Nugget Shooter Forums

Survivalist Beeping?

Uncle Ron

Yo All ... I know there are some very smart people on this forum and I'd like to pose a question--

Let's suppose the SHTF stuff actually happens and folks go into survival mode ... In addition to food, water, certain meds, weapons and ammo, gold will no doubt remain a basis of exchange ... After a few years, our beloved Minelab special batteries will probably tank ... In order to keep going for the gold with the Minelab, what could be done to keep it powered up? Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

I'm stumped.I would think reading the tea leaves and snapping up extra's before the linkin logs hit the air circulator. Thinking along those lines I would consider another unit as eventually they will go tango uniform.

Truth is---if it starts to go there---brass will be far more valuable than gold. At least untill things settled out.

• Like 1

Yo All ... I know there are some very smart people on this forum and I'd like to pose a question--

Let's suppose the SHTF stuff actually happens and folks go into survival mode ... In addition to food, water, certain meds, weapons and ammo, gold will no doubt remain a basis of exchange ... After a few years, our beloved Minelab special batteries will probably tank ... In order to keep going for the gold with the Minelab, what could be done to keep it powered up? Cheers, Unc

Solar panels.

you can't eat gold. Unless you have gold to trade and someone willing to take it instead of bread or toilet paper, etc, I think gold and silver wont be valued much. A chicken or eggs or food or any commodity will be the correct investment.....just my opinion, I just can't eat gold and most do not have gold!

Jim

As well as what Jim said about food and various fabrics bein valued, tradeable, commodities. Gold, however, has always been a valued, tradeable commodity since the human race had existed long b'fore coins or paper money were just ideas. So it would still retain some value as an additional tradeable commodity if civilization as we know it, should collapse comepletely, in our lifetime. Oh, and HF's right about gittin power to an MD if you have some knowledge and some imagination, or are friends with someone else that does.....RH

Hey Ron, I'm thinking, you could make due with any battery, as long as you can get 8+ volts out of them, hooked up in series, and a hand crank charger or solar. Even AA batteries hooked up right, would get you beeping. Grubstake

You could always put a small solar cell on your hat, to keep your batteries going alittle, they got hats with fans on them that work that way, Figure less than an amp per hour drain on the minelabs.

• Like 1

Ron,

Keep as many of those meteorites as you can. Nickel iron batterys, most have a shelf life of over 20 years. Some of these types of batterys have lasted 50 plus years. Here is what wikipedia says about them:

The nickel–iron battery (NiFe battery) is a rechargeable battery having a nickel(III) oxide-hydroxide cathode and an iron anode, with an electrolyte of potassium hydroxide. The active materials are held in nickel-plated steel tubes or perforated pockets. It is a very robust battery which is tolerant of abuse, (overcharge, overdischarge, and short-circuiting) and can have very long life even if so treated.[6] It is often used in backup situations where it can be continuously charged and can last for more than 20 years. Due to its low specific energy, poor charge retention, and high cost of manufacture, other types of rechargeable batteries have displaced the nickel–iron battery in most applications.[

The ability of these batteries to survive frequent cycling is due to the low solubility of the reactants in the electrolyte. The formation of metallic iron during charge is slow because of the low solubility of the ferrous hydroxide. While the slow formation of iron crystals preserves the electrodes, it also limits the high rate performance: these cells charge slowly, and are only able to discharge slowly.[6] Nickel–iron cells should not be charged from a constant voltage supply since they can be damaged by thermal runaway; the cell internal voltage drops as gassing begins, raising temperature, which increases current drawn and so further increases gassing and temperature.

Nickel-iron batteries have long been used in European mining operations because of their ability to withstand vibrations, high temperatures and other physical stress. They are being examined again for use in wind and solar power systems and for modern electric vehicles, especially boats, where the weight of the batteries is not an issue.

My unit runs On 12v. I'll get a loooooong cord. Lots of car batteries out there Ron. Though in Arizona they don't seem to last that long. Let's see. Food, water, shelter, guns, gold. Wait I got it. Lots of bikini babes to trade for more of the above. Lend me that steak dinner and Ill lend you a bikini babe for as long as it takes for me to eat it. The bikini babes won't mind because no more lifetime channel and they will need something to do.

Even if the economy tanks there will always be people with lots of eggs or tires or milk and they will take anything that they can trade with the other people at the top. Just make sure you can DEFEND your gold or eggs or tires or milk. Dave

• Like 2

Hey Ron,

Better have an o`l puffer drywasher around to get the job done. Thats how you will feed yourself anyway, ( bread & butter ) gold. Will have to resort to how the old timers did it. Hand stacks, brushes & crevace tools. Hard work , but then again , you will have all the time in the world.

IMHO, gold and silver will only have a value in 2 situations. ONE: If there is a society "somewhat" close enough for a person to travel there and get more "stuff" for the people here. TWO: The people accepting it have a sincere belief in the return of our economy at some time in their or their childrens' lifetime. Otherwise, I got a rabbit and you got bread. DEAL!

• Like 2

uuummm....Well let's see....oh my......too many articles to pick just one...

http://www.shtfplan.com/

Rim

PS-Now I understand why Bill don't kill rattlesnakes. An underground rattlesnake farm might come in handy.

Solar Panel and lots of AA rechargeable batteries so you could series them into different voltages for varying needs would be good items on top of what you already mentioned. Some cigarettes for trade would help also.

Joe

Hey Ron, I'm thinking, you could make due with any battery, as long as you can get 8+ volts out of them, hooked up in series, and a hand crank charger or solar. Even AA batteries hooked up right, would get you beeping. Grubstake

You could always put a small solar cell on your hat, to keep your batteries going alittle, they got hats with fans on them that work that way, Figure less than an amp per hour drain on the minelabs.

If you put solar panels on your hat, where would the beer go? Sheese! :D

Most of the australian detectorists use solar arrays out in the bush...the stock minelab brick lasts for years and has been very reliable...if you can predict the year of the event you could stock up...just in time...

If these things ever come about detecting will be the least of your worries...

fred

• Like 2

I was at the largest Gun Store in this part of New Mexico. New Deal Guns . You know the one that got roped up in the Fast and Fearious Fiasco.

Any ways I was just waiting for someone to hand me two Bricks of .22 I came for and next counter over was a older, Older then me Gentelman and his Wife holding checking out there new Black Rifles they just purchaced.

This guy was Spouting off how he had a bunker set up in the Basement, Two Pallots of MRE's and other provessions stashed away . Water Well In the Basement, Safe Room an how they was going to blow away anyone that came for help if the SHITF.

I lost it.

I couldn't contain my self and busted out laughing.

The old boy just looks at me and says, WELL, WHAT DO YOU HAVE!

I just looked down at the floor and said I have a single shot .22 with a 30 " barrel.

He yells out WHAT'S GOOD IS THAT GOING TO BE?

I Looked him in the eyes and said, Now that I know all the Stuff you have I may just sit in the Bushes waiting for you to go Lax going to your truck and POP ya In the Head and Take YOUR CRAP!.

The Owner of the Gun Shop just Snickered and Walked away.

The Old boy followed me out Jumped in his truck and followed my van for at least 10 miles! LOL

Moral of the Story?

DON'T TURN YOUR CARDS UNTILL THE GAME IS IN PLAY.

• Like 2

Homey your reply makes you my hero of the day!!!

Guess he never thought about the house burning down on top of his basement.......

.22's could be the best thing going, especially if their silenced....now legal in Okla.

Ron a good question but like some have said beeping will probably be the least of your worries....for

sure the power grid will be down....no cell phones or emails.....UN troops every where you turn enforcing

their own rules ( brutal as hell).....roaming gangs robbing and killing at random....problems you

can't even think of.....

There's at least one other member here beside me that has seen these conditions.....

To give you an idea the technology used by the Gov. a very informative read is "SERVICE" by Marcus

Luttrell....a medically retired Navy SEAL.....he tells how you can't hide anymore.....

The problem with gold and silver. History really does not reflect on the common folk much. People did not have gold and silver to trade. Even in the new America, folks were not commonly trading gold and silver, many had nothing but what they could carry when they jumped off the boats. Even today, in very poor countries (and those actually dealing a lot of gold), very few people are trading gold or silver....they dont have it and it basically does not exist.

Dave had a good idea. I use to keep said batteries in a refrigerator where I worked and they lasted for years.

I agree it may be the least of the worries.

Hope it never gets that bad. Drinkable water is going to be a really big issue too!

Jim

I would sell my detector and buy a wooden sail boat and head out. Anyone finds out you have a detector AND gold, your dead.

Don't need to buy nothing on the sea and you can fix a wooden boat anywhere, not like fiberglass. GPS and I'm gone.