Nugget Shooter Forums

Fishing "Tails"

For those of you that are like me and love to fish we all know that almost every trip has a hilarious moment or a disaster...I've got plenty as I have three boats and have used them extensively here in San Diego so maybe this might be a good place to tell a few.

One time in and around 1996-97 me, Boomer and another friend decided to go fishing off the coast of San Diego, then as evening came we would cut up some mackerel and chum for sharks, well as the sun starts to set I take a five gallon bucket and announce that I'm going to start cutting up the chum, the third fisherman Davey says that the buffalo wings he had last night were really working some hate in his stomach, I told him "look dude if yer gonna dump then let me know before I start using this 5gal bucket".

Now we were on my fairly brand new Baja Bayrunner and it has no toilet so you have to use the bucket, Davey says "naw I can hold it" so I start cutting up the mackerel and no sooner do I fill up a bucket of "primetime" shark chum then Davey starts pleading for the use of the bucket...nope too late man you had your chance, you either drop trou and hang it off the rail or hold it. This goes back and forth for ten minutes with his reluctance to drop em and hang it over the edge,( I guess pictures of "air jaws" were floating around in his head) so about the time I start chumming he finally hits condition critical...bolts to the railing drops his drawers, hangs off the edge and I swear to you what came out was an explosion!!! Next thing you know a seagull divebombs right in front of me, scooping up a 6" long piece of turd then it tilts it's head skyward and the whole thing went down it's throat!! Man that's a memory forever tarnished into my brain. Seagulls=cockroach of the sky. Personally...I would have launched it on the deck and let the bilge pump deal with it! :brows:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you that are like me and love to fish we all know that almost every trip has a hilarious moment or a disaster...I've got plenty as I have three boats and have used them extensively here in San Diego so maybe this might be a good place to tell a few.

One time in and around 1996-97 me, Boomer and another friend decided to go fishing off the coast of San Diego, then as evening came we would cut up some mackerel and chum for sharks, well as the sun starts to set I take a five gallon bucket and announce that I'm going to start cutting up the chum, the third fisherman Davey says that the buffalo wings he had last night were really working some hate in his stomach, I told him "look dude if yer gonna dump then let me know before I start using this 5gal bucket".

Now we were on my fairly brand new Baja Bayrunner and it has no toilet so you have to use the bucket, Davey says "naw I can hold it" so I start cutting up the mackerel and no sooner do I fill up a bucket of "primetime" shark chum then Davey starts pleading for the use of the bucket...nope too late man you had your chance, you either drop trou and hang it off the rail or hold it. This goes back and forth for ten minutes with his reluctance to drop em and hang it over the edge,( I guess pictures of "air jaws" were floating around in his head) so about the time I start chumming he finally hits condition critical...bolts to the railing drops his drawers, hangs off the edge and I swear to you what came out was an explosion!!! Next thing you know a seagull divebombs right in front of me, scooping up a 6" long piece of turd then it tilts it's head skyward and the whole thing went down it's throat!! Man that's a memory forever tarnished into my brain. Seagulls=cockroach of the sky. Personally...I would have launched it on the deck and let the bilge pump deal with it! :brows:

Ok bucket we have to talk, I already have love to fish locked up in my name.....Lve2fsh......so don't be stealing my thunder. :brows: :hahaha:

Ok bucket we have to talk, I already have love to fish locked up in my name.....Lve2fsh......so don't be stealing my thunder. :brows: :hahaha:

I was waiting for that one!! :inocent::thumbsupanim

In San Diego bay back in the 80s and 90s there were alot of barges and old boats parked in the waters off of 24st and we used to fish bass there quite often and a seagull had made a nest in the mast of one of the boats and everytime we got near it, this cockroach would dive bomb me and the Boomer, well ol Bucket aint about to give up on a prime spot so we go to war!!! So this thing is divebombing and the only thing I got handy is my 6ft baitcast rod and I'm on the front of this boat standing up sword fighting with a stinkin seagull and very pissed off one at that! Oh yea, he was getting the better of me with his short speed bursts but once I got his timing down he new it was a matter of time before I dotted his eye with the rod tip but he kept me busy for quite a while, meanwhile Boomer's getting impatient because he's paying by the hour to learn all my secrets and tricks to making himself a better fisherman!!

Well, even for having a brain the size of a pistachio the seagull...realizing the quality of my swordsmanship he knew he was out gunned!! So he kept his distance.

I was going to suggest alka seltzer but didn't want anyone to get into trouble ... It does the trick though ... just chuck it up in the air and the flying garbage skow will catch it and suck it down ... the rest can be a bit graphic!

I was going to suggest alka seltzer but didn't want anyone to get into trouble ... It does the trick though ... just chuck it up in the air and the flying garbage skow will catch it and suck it down ... the rest can be a bit graphic!

So, does that work on the "Yellow Leggged Frog" and "Spotted Owl"? :hmmmmm:

I got one that's not as funny, but was pretty cool and recent...

Frank (yeah, Sarge) and I do a lot of urban water fishing here in Phoenix. Mostly just for catfish as it's the lazy man's fishing.

One of our first times out we had set up with a double hook on our lines. I get a bite and start fighting it in. It goes really easy, then takes my drag out twice what I reeled in. Went on like that for about 15 minutes until I finally got it to shore.

Turns out I had two 4 lb catfish on the hooks. and they would swim together, the opposite and make the reeling in very interesting.

Another time I had a fish on and it came in with a surprise... an entire and intact reel. That's what all those folks get for laying poles on the grass, I guess.

One of the offshore trips to the Salt Islands we were getting hammered by the seals. We would throw out and a seal would dive after our lie. We'd get one helluva tug and then bring up an empty hook.

Well, I set the hook just right and thought I had moby dick on my line was going absolutely nuts with drag, then sideways, then this and that way.

All of a sudden the line angle (dragging like hell) went on a breach trajectory and about 40yds out up pops a seal.

The captain said just place both thumbs on he bail to stop it and it'll break the line. OK... but not until that seal was about 150-200 yards out did I pop it. I was ready to let him take every single inch of line to make sure he didn't come back!

That was the same trip someone was bottom fishing and landed a stone crab of the nearly 2.5' diameter, and pissed off at the would variety. That little sucker cleared the stern rail of its occupants real fast. It scampered around snapping at anything that it thought was moving.

I laughed my arse off at the yelp of folks trying to get close enough to toss it back.

They finally got it to clamp on a gig pole, and it proceeded to hang over the edge for another 5 mins before it lost interest and plunged back in. Where was the seal to tangle with that sucker???!

Found your problem Bucket.....in the future prohibit mexican food the night before.....especially

to Davey...

post-300-0-73051700-1346254181_thumb.jpg

Thats hilarious Glenn!! Back in and around 80-81 we had a friend that had a boat and we used to fish San Diego bay focusing on the "poor mans marlin" (Bat ray's) and one of my buddies didn't have a fishing pole so he stole his dads pole that morning and was using that, he'd never fished Bat Ray's before and I told him...keep your drag loose and don't let your rod too far out of your site. around noon he was on the front of the boat effen around, when his rod skidded across the deck (not in a rod holder) there were four of us on the boat and when it started to move we all stopped and you could hear a pin drop as we all watched. Then the line went real tight and BOOM...his rod shot about twenty feet before hitting the water and was gone.

The look on his face was priceless when he realized that his dad was gonna kill him!!!

Gar... no spicey food the night before fishing!! :hahaha:

Last trip out I hooked into a bat ray with a span of over 7'!

The bow had the anchor chain coming right off the point of it - that will come into play in a second.

One of the guys on the trip had just brought in a 45+ pound halibut and we were all pretty excited.

I hooked into something that was bigger than most anything I've ever had on the line and it just drug my line like there was no tomorrow in a drag, rest, drag... at about a 1 second interval. I was wondering what the heck was on the end.

I had hooked it on the starboard side and followed it along the rail to the bow

Handed the rod off to someone on the other side of the anchor chain and took it back

ran the rail (everyone was clearing a path) down port to the stern

Back up the rail to bow

Back under the anchor

halfway back down starboard rail

Back to the bow, across the anchor, back down the port rail to the stern

Across the stern rail to starboard

Back across the stern rail and halfway up the port rail

Back to Stern and finally caught sight of it

HUGE bat ray!!!

Finally got it close enough for a gaffe and they held it up for pics (pic on my friend's site, and the guy we go out with: http://us.bestfishingplaces.com/2011/08/2011-fishing-tournament/pictures-from-the-2011-tournament-are-starting-to-come-in/)

The dock we go from is a no shark dock, so we let him go.

I was beat to crap after that one! Was the last fish of the trip. You'll also see the squid school pics there to illustrate my last post and I'm in a few of the pics :)

Tons of fun to go on that trip and I'm going next year if I have to sell myself for it :brows:

Wow that was a heck of an assortment from what looked like barracuda to rock cod to bass to squid to halibut to crab to...bat ray!! WOW I bet that was fun! Calimari is pretty damm tasty, I had a friend (Zoni) come down from Mesa once and he ordered Calimari from the Brigantine restaurant and when he was served he was freekin out, he didn't know what it was I said hey you ordered calimari he said yea i thought it was some sort of california steak I told him it was squid and he didn't eat it. I personally like it.

Fried calamari and aioli sauce...yum!

Don't forget the sculpin fish (bright red, and poisonous spines). They're supposedly good eats, but I always give the fish away to others.

I had largest landed fish until that big halibut on last year's trip. If the ray had counted, I would have pulled off an upset.

When Uncle Sam sent me expenses paid to some of those Asian countries they had fish vendors with push carts in the

street and one of my favorites was Calamari cooked over charcoal.....three hours worth with Saki and beer chasers

was the life.....

Too much Calamari will make your feet numb so you walk funny....

The hardest summer job I ever worked in my life was in the summer of 1981, I worked on a tuna boat. It was a 38ft boat called "The Partners" we did about two or three rock cod runs then changed out for tuna. Had to wake up at 4:30am and finally got to bed at 11:00pm every day for 16 straight days till we came in to port. back then you baited em to the boat and pole fished em, they would stick a fiberglass pole with ten ft of line and a lure on the end in the water and hang off the rear of the boat in baskets and just yank em in.