Nugget Shooter Forums

I never heard of such...

Rimshot

but i'll ask anyway...Have any of you guys ever heard of "plutons" being found in Arizona?

Rim

Well you know for a fact that I don't know NOTHING!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!

But through reading one of the other boards supposedly a nice size pluton ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluton) has been located close to Ophir Alaska not too long ago by the US Geological Survey. The story goes that they suspect most of the gold found in places such as Ganes Creek and several other creeks/streams near by actually comes from that pluton.

So maybe if ya'll know of pluton/s found in ya'll's locations, that might be a cool place to look around for some nice nuggets.

And yes this was a trick question...lol!

Rim

post-26159-0-97318800-1346022575_thumb.j

Hi Ya Rim.... Yup and here ya go....

http://repository.azgs.az.gov/uri_gin/azgs/dlio/552

http://repository.azgs.az.gov/category/thematic-keywords/plutons

http://geotripperimages.com/Volcanism/Plutons%20and%20intrusions.htm

Yeah we got plutons.... :brows: Good subject to get going and Jim S. will likely have a comment or two.... At least I always hope to get him going :idea:

Dang! Since Bill posted those links I got a headache too....lol! This is a very deep subject and has many meanings.

But I do find it interesting the last time anyone here mentioned the word pluton, well lets just say it was wayyyyy before I joined here.

Think i'll take some aspirin and go back to bed...hehe!!!

But thank's for the links Bill.

Rim

Well this is for all of the dumbos like me. lol! This link (to me) shows the different types of plutons and explains them better.

http://itc.gsw.edu/faculty/bcarter/physgeol/igrx/pluton2.htm

But now i've lost interest in plutons. :grr01:

Rim

Hey Rim, here's a more fundamental splanation. Plutonic intrusive rocks solidify deep within earth's crust and are characterized by their large crystals. They occur as batholiths, plutons, and laccoliths. A batholith is a large igneous body with a surface exposure of at least 40 sq. miles and a thickness of 6 to 9 miles. Batholiths form the cores of great mountain ranges such as the Rockies and the sierra Nevada range in the north. They are generaly composites of a number of smaller intrusions called plutons, each of which may consist of several different rock types. Laccoliths are smaller-scale intrusions that can create a characteristic dome shaped structure, generaly with a horizontal floor. Granite, diorite, peridotite, syenite, and gabbro are all plutonic igneous rocks, if this helps. Don'tcha just love that ongoin "learnin curve"?

Hey Rim, here's a more fundamental splanation. Plutonic intrusive rocks solidify deep within earth's crust and are characterized by their large crystals. They occur as batholiths, plutons, and laccoliths. A batholith is a large igneous body with a surface exposure of at least 40 sq. miles and a thickness of 6 to 9 miles. Batholiths form the cores of great mountain ranges such as the Rockies and the sierra Nevada range in the north. They are generaly composites of a number of smaller intrusions called plutons, each of which may consist of several different rock types. Laccoliths are smaller-scale intrusions that can create a characteristic dome shaped structure, generaly with a horizontal floor. Granite, diorite, peridotite, syenite, and gabbro are all plutonic igneous rocks, if this helps. Don'tcha just love that ongoin "learnin curve"?

Yeah what Frank said..... :idea:

Well Rock I just hate the word pluton and feel the word should have never been invented. How one word can mean so many different things is beyond me... but i did ask the question as to which kind of pluton might be holding all the gold coming from Ophir Alaska.

And the answer was......

Rim

post-26159-0-75459400-1346367707_thumb.j

So there you have it Rim, it's all just basic geology, your link in post # 11 in this thread has a lot of fine examples of plutonic intrusions, exposed at the surface from erosion, and the links in Bill's # 8 posting also has lots of detailed info on sill and pluton formations that make up the larger batholiths that are specific to AZ. So with all this info, you should be able to make a list of only those pluton formations that contain high percentages of Gold associated rock formations and minerals, learn to ID those from the ground, and you'll be sampling and ultimately hard rock minning b'fore you know it. That feller "Elder Miner" thats been posting recently, I Ilke him, he knows his stuff. Go over his posts! He'll teach you a thing or 10. After readin some of his posts, I had to copy save everything he's written. Fer him to be willin to share some of his experiences, is priceless.

So there you have it Rim, it's all just basic geology, your link in post # 11 in this thread has a lot of fine examples of plutonic intrusions, exposed at the surface from erosion, and the links in Bill's # 8 posting also has lots of detailed info on sill and pluton formations that make up the larger batholiths that are specific to AZ. So with all this info, you should be able to make a list of only those pluton formations that contain high percentages of Gold associated rock formations and minerals, learn to ID those from the ground, and you'll be sampling and ultimately hard rock minning b'fore you know it. That feller "Elder Miner" thats been posting recently, I Ilke him, he knows his stuff. Go over his posts! He'll teach you a thing or 10. After readin some of his posts, I had to copy save everything he's written. Fer him to be willin to share some of his experiences, is priceless.

We indeed are fortunate that Elder Miner has tunneled into out midst.....