Nugget Shooter Forums

Congrats to Dolan Dave!

Thanks everyone,

I found this while prospecting out with my father in the Randsburg, Ca. area it was found on the side of a hill. A group of meteorite hunters went back to the area, and scoured the whole area, without any more luck. Thank you to Jim Woodell, for help on getting it classified with Dr. Ruben at UCLA.

Mad Rush to Battle Mountain everyone...

Dave

post-1046-0-33212800-1345932323_thumb.jp

post-1046-0-92770500-1345932343_thumb.jp

Dave, congrats to you on your find and making it into the met bull. Nice pics also, it's motivating to hear of other peoples finds. Keep up the good work.

Terry Scott

That cross section is SWEET! Thanks for sharing...

Thin section..

Wow , Dave .. That is nice ... That cross section is classic ... We've gotta be talking $100/ gram on that bad boy .. Congrats! ... Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

Just how thin are those thin sections? :hmmmmm:

Steve

Noboby mentioned it looked like an animal! :rolleyes:

Anyways this picture of the thin section shows a 1" round slide. This size thin section is one size acceptable to the machines that do the microprobe analysis. While it is not needed for classification, many use them. No doubt, for the petrology work, they are helpful as well.

This thin section was first cut on my slow speed saw and then polished. That sample was then sent to a thin section maker here in Arizona and he continued the work of final polishing, down to 1 micron, then gluing it to the slide. It is then cut again and honed and polished down to about 30 microns with about a 1 micron finish. What you see is that result.

Depending on the scientist doing the analysis, you may need a thin section or a 1" plug (or 'mount' as they are called) for the SEM work. Just depends on what they prefer. The mount is nothing more than the sample epoxied into a 1" round container and the outer side is then cut and polished. Either the 1" round slide or the mount is installed into the appropriate hardware that accomodates them and placed in the SEM for analysis.

BTW, I assist with identification and classification of meteorites (my real interest in this hobby) and I do not charge for this and no tax dollars are used for my work!

Jim

Ditto Ditto " WTG" Nice find and you knew what to do with it! I'm sure there are some out there that didn't know what to do or how to do it. I would have to ask someone on this forum!

Mitchel