Nugget Shooter Forums

BERING SEA GOLD

garimpo

Yeh, its been advertised for a week or so here on cable, When you look at it, I guess its no different than volinteering for Nam, when your 18 years old and staying for two years. Like I did. atleast no one is shooting at you! and it pays better! Grubstake

Grubby, I hate to differ, but diving for gold is just plain fun, hunting NVA and VC is a whole different thing. I don't think what they do is really dangerous at all, they just induced more danger kind of drama for the show.......Now, if they were opening up 12-15' deep holes to bedrock or rolling 15+ ton boulders... yup there is some danger there, but not if you know what you are doing.

Going to watch it in 1 1/2 hours........

Yeh, me too! Steve, I dredged for years, on the Merced river and the American, right there at Rucky Chuck, Never felt like I was in danger, Viet nam yup more than a few times. I miss my old friends I had there, most are gone now. Grubstake

I always thought the bering sea was always rough water. Isn't that where most of the crabbing shows are filmed?

Rim

Thick ice calms all seas and make visibility much better. You could not think up a more dangerous way to dredge....but I like it....just too old and arthritic to handle the 25 degree water and after you get out wet and windy OMG. Best one yet to me but as usual mickey moused units,and dummies, do spell extreme danger and lousy suction makes me go nutz. Too cheap for a second jet to get 10X the materials and no plugups??? strange indeed-John

I watched it last night and have to say this is the first of the gold shows that actually held my attention ... Most of the cast is not so bueno, but the unusual setting for dredging was very interesting ... The production company must be paying some pretty good wages to get some idiots to go underneath 4 feet of ice in 25 degree water ... But the gold looks good! ... Cheers, Unc

The one built buy the son of Christine Rose owner is 150hp and a serious looking operation. But on crappy ground.

The gold the idiots, ere, lazy whatever crew got is nothing to shake a stick at. $28k on first check isn't bad. they almost covered the investment already.

.......Now, if they were opening up 12-15' deep holes to bedrock or rolling 15+ ton boulders.

Dammm i hope you got some nice stuff doing that... Cant even imagine moving boulders like that dredging. To much for my little 4 inch dredge :tisk-tisk:

Divers falling like rain as equipment fails and life/death situations arise. That extreme cold kills equipment like crazy and lazy,ignorant tenders forget gas,leave diver intercoms and soooooooo much stupidity repeated it makes me truly hope nobody dies. Some gold found by 1 crew to keep going BUT gas costs in winter quadtriple as no way to get it there,except plane as boats blocked. One guy was freaking out that filling the hot water heater engine gas tank ate up $800 in cost and it was a 5 hp briggs. I believe sooooo think what them total costs are...absolutely ungodly- John

No competition as spots now on 10 year leases as shown at last episode last year going upwards of $50-$100,000. Summer has many MANY storms and some years only a few days work and visability horrendous. Winter colder than my x but much more stable and water clearer. What I like to see is the wavy haze as fresh water hits sea water,thermacline also. Same guys did good and others sucked squat. Both dad/daughter just too wimpy to do anything but bitch,fight and chicken out. So far this season has proved the little guys with an investment are beating the LL outta the big boys with their piles of cash and overkill. God I love it when the little guys kick butt-John

I found a site with the full episodes (of last season) and ran through looking to see action of the excavator on the rose (they show no underwater footage) and found each show has about 5 minutes of dredging.

I thought about taking the footage and editing it for a drama free show. I think it would be 10 minutes if I include cuts of the ship's name and water running through the sluice. 15 if I include cooking and selling the gold.

Stuck inside most of yesterday from fire smoke and rewatched for a rush a gold fever. Made a mistake in last post-gas for compressor was only $600 for a part of a DAY and not the $800 I posted. Funny thing is thats what ,or close to depending on dredge size,what I spend a YEAR....so many costs..amazing...absolutely gut wrenching and wallet emptying expensive-John

I diver dead already and nuttn' but stupid mistakes as the tough arse bunch of partners beat out the big boys once again. The dangers are now showing up REALLY bad as even youngns' testiculiar fortitude pushed to the limit. Ever hear of any person diving into the frozen ocean without air or hot heated water flowing down your back?? A guy did it to retrieve the ONLY air/heater rig a guy panicked and dumped to get out as mask froze,air regulator froze and he was fouled in mess of junk in the hole????? Bad way to die---some drama but best series yet as the series unfolds....and yes I got nuttn' better to do when I eat dinner but watch the crazy young men and their dredging machines...John

They just do not seem to plan ahead, it's so easy to get their rigs to have a second diver option I don't know why they don't do it. Plus I just do not understand how they are not getting much better suction... My 4" Keene would out suck that 150HP monster, even at 16 feet deep. At least that crew has the right kind of regulator that will not freeze up like the rest of them trying to insulate their regulators. I see frozen regulators as the only real danger, but a good diver could easily surface in a very short time by dropping the weights. Again, a second set of weights could solve the problem of retrieving the dumped ones......Of course all the issues may just be added drama for the show or most of them are genuine NOOB divers. They don't have to move boulders or dig deep holes.... two real dangerous possibilities for NOOB's. Another thing I don't get is why they are always dragging the hose around looking for a dredge spot, why not just walk or do the moon hop walk around and then bring the hose to a good spot........, I could go on and on, but I do like the show a bunch.

Them fellas are the bacon and beans bunch who sold everything they had to finance the adventure. I love it when the small guy kicks butt on the bigns'. Looks like the thaw a coming and the show will end soon but good to see as the only kind of dredging I've never done. Although I have had to bust ice,drain the oli from engines in the freezing winter cold in the rucky chuckies downhill from El D divide outta Georgetown. COLD makes ya arthritic and old real quick like but the GOLD negated the cold--hahaha--greed the great leveler-Johnn

Thanks, Goldfinger. Sucks what happened.

I wonder if the one account of an old friend being with him in the bar that night is true. That would weigh heavily for sure.

I am enjoying this better than the water dredging version because I like the crews better and enjoy seeing the Lazy Gator guys raking it in

I think Bill should have his own show... He could plant a couple monster Aussie nuggets in the Coronado National Forest...And "find" them on "reality TV" That would start a mad gold rush and keep those dang rangers so busy they wouldn't know what hit 'em...Make it down by Arivaca though... or up on the back side of mount Lemon...I still like the Greaterville area...