Nugget Shooter Forums

New west coast fall

Saw this when I got home this morning waiting for more info anyone catch it on all sky ?

Looks like a road trip may be in order.

Bryan

Breaking News: MBIQ Detects Nevada / California Fireball Meteor21/22 AUG2012

MBIQ (Meteor Bot Internet Query) Bot has just triggered on a meteor/fireball

event over Nevada and California.

http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.jp/2012/08/breaking-news-mbiq-detects-nevada.html

Reports will be available

It appears Bob Verish and Moni found the first one...a 19 grammer. Appears to be an H Chondrite! Congrats to Bob and Moni!!! :wubu:

it is being reported as the first recovery in Nevada from a witnessed fall!

Jim

Aloha and congratulations on the find Bob and Moni. Now you are going to have to check your vehicle for gps trackers every time you go out.

Once again, congratulations.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Sounds to me like it's turning into a wild west show up there and from the photos I have seen looks fairly rugged. And now with the threat of the mine closing the roads just not worth the time and gas. Think I'll stop by next year as I have planed to vsit the black rock area then. But best of luck to all of you that are headed that way. Find one for the gipper.

• 2 weeks later...

There has been about 21 stones found.

Jim

MN; if you live close...just go, if you search in the projected strewn field you have as good a chance as anyone...if you are very lucky one of the pro's might mentor you. NOT REAL LIKELY...they are there for the money as well as the science...One of the friendlier semi-pros might help you too...

I would not suggest going if you are thinking big-bucks and certain success...it isn't that easy to find meteorites for the most part it is chancey at best...

Teaming up with someone of experience would be your best bet but I don't think there is an absolute "best way."

fred

fred

I live in Southern California and I'm trying to get a 4x4 now but on the Sutter's Mill fall I went up on my own without knowing about this forum. When I got to the east side of Tahoe I went east on 80 all the way out to Elko in one day! I have a geologist friend from there and he told me about a claim of his way out that I went to and then worked my way back to Rye Patch and the dam. I have some idea about Battle Mountain and the area that is south of 80. It has been so many days since the fall I didn't know if they were still finding anything. Later in the summer I went to Holbrook and met Jim and several others there I had only read from here. The Franconia outing with my metal detectors will be a good learning experience and I will quiz as much as possible. I'll show off my beach finds again with a few new ones.

Mitchel