Nugget Shooter Forums

Some news, kind of off-topic, but...

FlakMagnet

As a few of you may know my fifteen year old daughter has been a

nationally ranked rhythmic gymnast for the last six years.

She has been the west coast champion and athlete of the year for five

of those six years and is ranked in the top ten in the country this year

in the highest level.

She was given an invitation to come to Chicago at the end of July to

try out for the Senior USA National Group Rhythmic Team,

seven girls that USA Gymnastics is starting to train right now for the 2016 Olympics.

After the try-out the head of USAG asked her if she would be willing to join the team, they loved her.

We left it up to the girl as there really is no one who can make a decision like that for anyone else,

even if they are only fifteen.

After a week of agonizing over it she decided she wanted to join the team.

I am writing this from just north of Chicago where she and I flew on Monday.

The Russian choreographer for the Russian Group Team that won the gold medal

at the Olympics two weeks ago is here teaching the team their

two new routines that they will be working to perfect for the next few years.

They are working ten hours a day as they learn.

I have been looking for an apartment or a house that we can lease to establish

residency here so she can enroll in her new high school. I have also been trying to

figure out just what I will do here as she trains and goes to school as I am retired.

If I were working she could not do what she is doing, the synchronicity of my

retirement and her ascension in rhythmic gymnastics dovetailed perfectly

but it was completely out of nowhere, we never saw it coming.

My wife and seventeen year old son will remain in Southern California.

My son graduates from high school this year and will soon be out on his own.

This is one of the strangest and most mind-bending situations I have ever experienced,

but our whole family has decided this is the way it must be.

My gold detecting days have, for the moment, ended. I never thought I would

write those words but I am learning after seventy years that there are many

things in life I never thought I would be doing and this is just one of them.

I have no idea where it will lead.

To all you amazing and crazed forum inhabitants

I wish you shining days out in the deserts and mountains that we all so revere.

I will continue to comment from time to time but only after the the driving,

the grocery shopping, the cooking and the wash is done.

Sincere best wishes.

Flak

Flak... Wow your "some news" is awesome. But I understand the decision that was made.

Your 15 y/o daughter is highly focused and dedicated. Just speaking for me "You will be

truly missed." In many ways I envy you. My best wishes in your new adventure. jim

Congratulations to your daughter and to you, too .. That's amazing ... Is there an internet site we can follow and, perhaps, provide a grizzled cheerleading squad supporting her efforts? Good luck to her and you too, I mean, Chicago????? Cheers, Unc

Hey Flak, That is a fantastic opportunity. When it comes down to it your family is what counts. I am with Ron, I sure would like to follow this. Ron... you are not going to wear a cheerleading skirt are you ? TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Best to you and you daughter. Keeping us up to date would be cool--and give you some contact with the outside world. Winters there can be brutal.

North side of Chicago is far better than the south/west hoods.

Flak ole buddy it's great that Natalie is working hard being a champion in her chosen world....she couldn't have done

it without a champion dad.....two winners for sure....

Best of luck in your new location....please keep us posted and for sure we will miss your presence on this forum....

Lotza luck Flak as done the child rearing years 4 times and much sacrafice to be made. I sold a EXTREMELY profitable biz for pennies on the dollar to escape the OC as Vietnamese were traing kid to be a criminal at 7. Moved to best school in kalif and started all over again. Luv'm,hold'm and try our best to get them on the right path and raising kids at 70 :th: WOW- Respect to all good parents.....John

Hey, Flak... there is gold near enough to take some short trips :)

It's all terminal morraine pushed by glaciers, but it's there.

Congracts to your family having the fortitude to do this. Quite an undertaking.

I, too, agree that the Northside area is MUCH better than any other area of Chicago.

Make sureto go get dinner at the Weber Grill sometime for me. Everything is cooked on Weber kettle grills and is awesome!

Flak, me and you have been talking on and off about this since she was 12 or 13, and I can't wait to see her on the cover of the 2016 wheatie's box!! About the skirt thing...just call it a "Kilt" and you'll be fine, but Chicago is too cold to be going "Regimental".

I noticed what Bill noticed and thought the same thing...70yrs? man time flies. Good Luck and I'll keep my eye's peeled for the ebook.

• Like 1

Awesome! You are in for journey! Please keep us updated!!!

Jim

Hi, David, go for it! Natalie has come so far and is so dedicated to gymnastics going to Chicago is a win win situation for you both. you don't need to go detecting ,Natalie and your family is your gold. Hope to see you when you return. Bob

• Like 1

I was going to leave the 70 years part alone. Just figured he had one helluva pickup line to be that old and snag a wife who would that much his junior :)

:hahaha: :hahaha: That's hilarious Glenn!! But if you've ever seen the Flaxter he's a cross between Jack LaLane and Charlton Heston :brows:

• Like 1

Flak ... Not sure what I can add to what has already been said ... So Congrats to you both and all the best as well. Please do keep us informed or give us a link to follow the team. Always enjoyed your posts and even learned a bit here and there. Keep on posting when you have the strength after a long day of chores! LOL The long distance relationship is tough ... I am doing that with Carol in Denver CO and me here in Prescott Valley AZ ... not the easiest at times but we want to be with each other and make the best of it when we are together.

Mike F

Hi Flak,

Your decision is as it should be, as far as I am concerned.

In all honesty, when you love someone as you do your daughter,who has shown great promise in her sport, there is nothing that a loving father/parent would not do to allow your child the best opportunity to succeed in her dream, whatever that dream might be.

Yes, I too know the feeling when the odometer of years rolls over far earlier than I would have wished, but you have had an interesting life, and this is but another "adventure" yet to unfold for you.

Please stay in touch with us, Flak, as time will allow, you have been for all those who have had the choice opportunity to read your many posts, a voice of fairness and thoughtful wisdom.

Best of luck to you and Natalie,

Gary/ ~LARGO~

• Like 1

Congratulations to Natalie Flak :thumbsupanim , I'm not surprised that she made the team, it's been in the back of my mind since I viewed the video you posted a while back.

I wish her all the luck and I as well would like if possible to follow along with her and the team's progress.

I also would add a set of Pom-Pom to the skirt, you might as well have the whole ensemble!!!! :brows:

Skip

Congratulations to Natalie Flak :thumbsupanim , I'm not surprised that she made the team, it's been in the back of my mind since I viewed the video you posted a while back.

I wish her all the luck and I as well would like if possible to follow along with her and the team's progress.

I also would add a set of Pom-Pom to the skirt, you might as well have the whole ensemble!!!! :brows:

Skip

X-2 on everything including the pom-poms :hahaha: Make sure you update us David and just cause you are in the windy city don't mean ya gotta be a stranger dude!

Good luck to you and your daughter Flak (David)! Maybe we'll see her in the 2016 Rio olympics, stay safe in Chicago, I hear that one has to be careful in that town. PS You don't look 70, at least not the last and one time I saw you in person.