Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grim1

gold in utah.. its here

hi im a newbie here but i know gold and i know utah, we dont have big gold here, but we have rice size gold and pepper flake gold... i have the mineral claim to 180 ac here in utah...... i love finding it in places that everyone passes up... or thinks its been done a hundred times.. suprise i have found gold in the jordan river... and along the inlets to the great saltlake...how many of us have passed these spots ... ok ok. it is small amounts but it is there..... the best gold placers are west the problem with west is water... not a big deal really if you take a small pump you can buy from harbor freight.. about 12 bucks and recycle the water you can locate placer spots . then come back with more water later ....like i said earlier we have small flakes ....,but alot of spots have gold here.. go camping try the small streams try the dry streams the gold is not going to run away because there is no water ...if its there its there, ok enough of my preaching if anyone want to find gold in utah let me start by saying most people are caught up in the rhodes gold.. its cool but really hiking around the diffrent places without a gold pan or a small sluice what a missed chance to fined gold cause you were looking for a cave or a bar of gold just sitting an a trail ...i would be willing to bet you passed gold by where you hiked .... i have found that a 5 gallon bucket will give you a quick check of a spot..... durring the winter the water from the bigger streams gives you access to spots you cant get to durring the run off.. or warm days. great time to check the spots you see durring the summer.. if anyone thinks im wrong just test it .... reminder our gold is small but its there.... i would like to here from others here in the great state of hidden gold ...utah ps thanks for the chance to share my thoughts....

Hey a HEARTY welcome to the forums and you bagged it, Gold is Where Ya Find It! Big Rex is from your state as are others here soooooooo post to your hearts content and like reading about the finding! Got Pics???????????????

Hello Grim1

Yes there is gold in Utah. I can get colors from almost any gully here

in Southern Utah. But I wouldn't hock the family farm to chase it. :ROFL:

Most is float pepper flake stuff,and you couldn't live long enough to

gather an ounce. There is some exceptions though and in places there

is some nuggets. The Bingham Canyon mine has been one of the biggest

producers of gold for years. There was several really rich mines in that area.

The Deer Trail mine at Marysvale is also producing gold. There is a company

mining the Cresent Creek placers now. Deer Trail also owns some mines in

the Henry Mountains. I can name lots of places here that have gold. The trick

is finding enough in one spot ,to make it worth while.

thx for making me feel at home i will post the gold in the pan from last nights buckets from delta ...utah..

Greetings grim1, if you ever want to use my highbanker set up out at Amasa Valley or in Osceola just over the border in NV, let me know.

I am trying to post pics from my phone.. but I suck lol

I think I did it. Lol told you I suck at this this is 10 buckets fun stuff this is from our property by delta amasa valley.... no water there so ... bring it home or take it to the seveir river.....:O

post-26370-0-75564800-1345898683_thumb.j

Grim1, nice! Ya don't suck.

I would seriously consider BigRex's offer. 10 buckets is only a couple hours, if that, on a high banker :)

I have one just did not take it just went exploring had someone tell me sanaquin had some gold so I jut took the pan I have quite abit of equiment but just was going to be a quick trip ...lol ya left at 4 am back. Late . Good thing my wife is a good sport. Ps.. did not find the glory hole in saniquin .... anyone ever try there?

You know I have never been on a forum that was so openly willing to share or give advice its nice thanks again to all

You are welcome and welcome here as well :thumbsupanim

I have one just did not take it just went exploring had someone tell me sanaquin had some gold so I jut took the pan I have quite abit of equiment but just was going to be a quick trip ...lol ya left at 4 am back. Late . Good thing my wife is a good sport. Ps.. did not find the glory hole in saniquin .... anyone ever try there?

grim1,

I have piddled around an area of paleozoic metamorphic rock by Santaquin and did find some black sand, nothing more though. There is not much rock that is non-sedimentary in nature in UT County, so I thought it would be interesting to give that area a try. I also heard, like you maybe heard about Santaquin, that the stream up Payson Canyon had some gold. I did not do well there, just some black sand again. Have you ever had any luck up in American Fork Canyon (Mary Ellen Gulch)? I haven't had much luck there either and the road up there is awful. I have had some luck in Amasa Valley and I would say somewhat better luck in Osceola, just an hour further down the road into Nevada.

Rex

thanks rex.... and everyone.. anyone ever try miller canyon ? or notch peak ?

I'm an old timer from Utah, I took a pan with me fishing every trip. Found some gold in a lot of places even near Brighton Ski Resort only a little more downstream. Found a deserted old mining cabin still had a mining cart and track in working order and the cabin was in good shape. Also found the mine but was unable to scale the pinnacle where it was to investigate. The only way up was a rope pulley contraption that I didn't trust. I was just hiking and wasn't into prospecting too much at that time. About three years later I went again and the cabin was vandalized and tore apart, the mining cart was gone as all of the track (about 300 yds of it). People piss me off when they destroy something like that. I never went back I was so disgusted. Anyways never searched the tailings pile (it was huge and this was mined sometime in the late 1800's). I can give someone an approximate location as I will never be in that area long enough to check it out. There were other gold mines in the area although most of them were primarily after silver. Don't know what they were mining for sure. It is out of the question in the winter due to snow in the higher altitudes. :grr01:

thanks for the info guys i have filed a claim out waest of delta and doing good not rich in money but rich in fun....

Hello all. Been following this thread as a guest and recently signed up. I'm not new to prospecting, but I am new to prospecting in Utah. I read with interest your comments on gold locations. Have any of you ever found anything in the immediate vicinity of SLC? I ran a few pans on a visit up in Big Cottonwood canyon along 190 and found some flour. I was wondering if any of you you might be able to point out some areas around SLC, and any GPAA claims.

right close to saltlake there are only a few i knowone is american fork above tibble fork lake a place called merry ellins gulch a friend once found some nice pieces up city creek canyon and a third is willard canyon but it really a hit and miss up there a old man told me of some small gold being found by taking the freeway past parleys instead of going to jordanel go left towards ,,i think is silver creek juntion and go up there thats all he would tell me its in a small creek with heavy black sand and clay ? sounded weired to me but he \ swore it was there, hey good luck and welcome to the forum :4chsmu1:

lol my daughter was typing for me as i was working down stairs , so its a little hard to read , sorry the old man sold us a gold sluice he was building and i would not bank on that story.... amercan fork is good but beware ,where you are the gold club owns most of it there. there are two clubs here in slc and if you join them this gets you some land to work the north owns the land in amer. fork the slc club has land by cresent creek but there are a lot of gold to be found out west of the city about 40 min west of grantsville ..in that range the trick is water so explore the west early like now i am not ready to tell to much about this range cause we just found some there and i am not sure if its been filed on so i will keep the range to myself but .....time spent looking is the fun of it..... good luck..... ps .. found !/4 ounce in 3 hours there

pm sent to you yesterday grim1, just posting a comment here since maybe you are subscribed to the thread. RCB

Hello everyone. Just signed up as a new member, although I have been following these forums and others for months. Trying to cram as much information as possible on the "how to" and "where" of gold around the Salt Lake valley. Just started panning with my 9 year old son ( who loves it!!!) about 3 months ago with absolutely no success until a few weeks ago. We really had no idea what we were doing. It would take me 20 minutes to pan a small shovel of dirt because I was so nervous about loosing any gold in the pan. We have since improved a bit and found our first specs of gold up American Fork Canyon. It was awesome!!! and my son was so excited. Altogether we found at least 100 specs of gold that day which was just enough to make a small gold line in the very bottom of our pan. Were going to join the gold clubs this month, and cant wait to talk to people who have the same interests that are far more experienced so we can try to learn from them. We have no interest in trying to make big profits doing this, we just enjoy the outdoors and the memories with my son will be priceless!! Although its definitely an added excitement when u do find some color so I want to take my son to places that have that potential that are close to salt lake valley. There was a post about gold being found in City Creek Canyon above down town salt lake. Does anyone have any other details or information about panning city creek or ever panned up there?? Thanks so much, Michael Petersen

Welcome to the forums Michael and time spent with you son prospecting will be memories you will both always cherish. Don't have and answers for you on your question and have never prospected UT. Surly someone will offer some advise though.

Hello everyone. Just signed up as a new member, although I have been following these forums and others for months. Trying to cram as much information as possible on the "how to" and "where" of gold around the Salt Lake valley. Just started panning with my 9 year old son ( who loves it!!!) about 3 months ago with absolutely no success until a few weeks ago. We really had no idea what we were doing. It would take me 20 minutes to pan a small shovel of dirt because I was so nervous about loosing any gold in the pan. We have since improved a bit and found our first specs of gold up American Fork Canyon. It was awesome!!! and my son was so excited. Altogether we found at least 100 specs of gold that day which was just enough to make a small gold line in the very bottom of our pan. Were going to join the gold clubs this month, and cant wait to talk to people who have the same interests that are far more experienced so we can try to learn from them. We have no interest in trying to make big profits doing this, we just enjoy the outdoors and the memories with my son will be priceless!! Although its definitely an added excitement when u do find some color so I want to take my son to places that have that potential that are close to salt lake valley. There was a post about gold being found in City Creek Canyon above down town salt lake. Does anyone have any other details or information about panning city creek or ever panned up there?? Thanks so much, Michael Petersen

I would guess American Fork Canyon is about as close to SLC as you'll come. I haven't had any luck there myself, did you visit Mary Ellen Gulch up there? I've heard the town of Copperton UT out by the Bingham Mine is composed of auriferous gravels, but you would probably get a citation or something if processing dirt from within the city limits. You may already have the book I always recommend, by Alan Chenworth, if you don't have a copy, don't hesitate to get one. I pretty much don't know any other good places closer to Salt Lake, I think there used to be some silver mines up by ski resorts but don't know of any non-ore type deposits. I usually go to Amasa Valley, not that close to the Salt Lake Valley.

Thanks Bill Southern and Big Rex its great to be a part of these forums and thanks for the advice. My son Taylor was tickled to death to see someone responded to our post. I do have the book by Chenworth, and I have never tried Mary Ellen Gulch, although I would if my car could make it up there. We pan in the main river well below Mary Ellen Gulch and closer to Tibble Fork Reservoir. We just drive up as far as I dare take our Camry and work the river at that point. I live about 2 minutes from the city of Copperton and drove through there multiple times trying to find a way to grab a bucket of dirt and run. Ha! Ha! I have looked with great interest at Amasa Valley but I don't own a high-banker or have anyway to run dirt other then what I can pan. Hopefully soon I can change that scenario. If you ever make it back to Amasa and need someone to do the dirty work, I can process loads and loads of hard working dirt. I would enjoy just having the opportunity to learn some of the tricks of the trade and anything that would help me gain knowledge would be a pleasure. Thanks again and good luck!!! Michael and Taylor

Thanks Bill Southern and Big Rex its great to be a part of these forums and thanks for the advice. My son Taylor was tickled to death to see someone responded to our post. I do have the book by Chenworth, and I have never tried Mary Ellen Gulch, although I would if my car could make it up there. We pan in the main river well below Mary Ellen Gulch and closer to Tibble Fork Reservoir. We just drive up as far as I dare take our Camry and work the river at that point. I live about 2 minutes from the city of Copperton and drove through there multiple times trying to find a way to grab a bucket of dirt and run. Ha! Ha! I have looked with great interest at Amasa Valley but I don't own a high-banker or have anyway to run dirt other then what I can pan. Hopefully soon I can change that scenario. If you ever make it back to Amasa and need someone to do the dirty work, I can process loads and loads of hard working dirt. I would enjoy just having the opportunity to learn some of the tricks of the trade and anything that would help me gain knowledge would be a pleasure. Thanks again and good luck!!! Michael and Taylor

I know what you mean about Mary Ellen Gulch, I got close to it and the road is a joke. I can't quite remember the name of a stretch of road to get to it, but it is something like "Dead Man's Flat" or something like that, essentially a cliff with a narrow bumpy road that is so narrow you need to back up if you come across another vehicle. That wouldn't be too bad, except it seems everyone and their cousin goes up American Fork Canyon, at least it was like a circus last time I was up there. A little jeep might cut it, but even an SUV is problematic, really messed up the suspension after at trip up there.

On the other hand, if you ever want a tour of Amasa Valley I would be happy to oblige, I have a pretty good set up with a highbanker and gas powered water pump. The last good spot I saw up there was worked out, but maybe with some test panning another decent spot could be located.