Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab Explorer SE Pro for meteorites?

Does anyone know if this unit can Learn how to find meteorites and how it would look different than a 31 31 hot rock?

I have a couple of meteorites that I used to test it and the larger ones show as 31 31. I would like to save the optimal settings and go out to Franconia the first weekend of October and Gold Basin with the group on the first weekend of November.

Has anyone found any gold with this or just coins and relics?

Mitchel

I suspect you will need to test them on site to find any settings that might work...the sound may be different even if the readings are the same. Franconia is tough for hotrocks, Gb may be easier...if the detector has any level of built-in descrimination it maynot detect some meteorites...

good luck

fred

There is no such thing as "optimal settings". Detectors must be setup and calibrated in the field, and constantly throughout the day. Everything from wind to air traffic to temperature to (obviously) ground chemistry comes into play.

Thanks Mike and Fred,

I'm new to this machine and I am just learning how to use it on the beach. I have used my 5000 for hundreds of hours and know things now by sound using a mono and digging everything.

One of the main features of this unit is that it can discriminate by item. I can add a specific item such as a coin, ring, key or perhaps a meteorite, press the Learn feature and it will 'reject' all other items. I may be able to take a hot rock and reject it and add this to the discrimination pattern. This is the theory.

You are right, I will have to use it and see if it works. I just wondered if anyone has the experience of this SE Pro working this way in the field. I suspect that a hot rock and meteorite are too 'similar' in composition to know the difference from a signal stand point. I don't have a hot rock now to compare them. Ah, maybe I do have a couple of meteor wrongs from Gold Basin.

Maybe I will be the first to find out and take it from the beach and the parks to the strewn fields. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mitchel

Mitchel, thanks for the clarification, I understand a bit better what you're trying to do. If I had to guess I would say that the majority of meteorites (especially chondrites) and hot rocks will not be uniform enough from sample to sample to be able to globally reject them. Coins, keys, and rings all have very consistent make-ups, for example. Or, like you said, the two may be too similar from the detector's point of view. Good luck with your endeavors!

So if you have a 5000 why are you even bothering with an Explorer SE for meteorites? I've seen high end coin and relic hunting detectors pass over large Franconia meteorites like they weren't there.

It's hard to say if the Explorer will handle Franconia's hot ground but you're 5000 will easily do it.

So if you have a 5000 why are you even bothering with an Explorer SE for meteorites? I've seen high end coin and relic hunting detectors pass over large Franconia meteorites like they weren't there.

It's hard to say if the Explorer will handle Franconia's hot ground but you're 5000 will easily do it.

X-2

AND if you program it to eliminate a hot rock you may be doing yourself an injustice towards meteorites.

Also you will encounter different compositions of hotrocks in any given area , is the detector capable of eliminating more than 1 type at the same time/ usage ??

I have a friend that wants to go detecting with me. I only have one 5000. What are the settings you use in Franconia? (I was out there on the north side of the tracks for about 3 hours one morning and I couldn't hear hot rocks or meteorites but I did find some big shells!) Now back to the SE Pro. I have started programming it lately and I can scan in an unlimited number of good and bad targets and save them. They tend to overlap when you do that but it is more 'sensitive' than I had first thought. I can program out a penny for example and still keep the other change. I can also go ALL METAL and then take a screw, nail or cap and exclude it or reverse this and any combination in between. The normal sound is a little tricky but when operated in smooth it is easy to pinpoint but it also has a pinpoint mode.

Mitchel, the minelab 5000 90% of the time will not pick up on hotrocks in Franconia. Which is awesome cause the vlf goes off all the time. Bring a smaller coil for the 5000 to Franconia as the larger ones dont do so good on chondrite meteorites. The stock 11inch is perfect.

Dave

Ok, I'm looking forward to it. I have all the Commander Coils (3 mono and 1 DD) I got with the package. Do I need to get a different coil for the 5000? I guess I will be a pioneer out in the desert with the SE to see if it can perform.

Yes. I have a small flat nugget that I found, my only one and I traded a couple of rings from the beach for a Franconia, two Gold Basin and some dry lake meteorites. That is how I know on the 'numbers' that a meteorite looks like a '31-31' on this screen. A quarter looks like a '0-28' and is much higher pitch.