Nugget Shooter Forums

Any input on Razorback coils?

Does anyone here have any serious in-field experience with the various Razorback searcoils for Minelab's PI's and White's TDI's? If so, how would you rate them against stock and/or other aftermarket coils? THANKS! HH Jim

I had a special made coil from them, false's way too much. I have heard from an extremely reliable source that can be an issue with some of their coils due to lack of stiffness in the shell/mount. It's hard to beat the performance of the Minelab coils

Today I was able to try out the 6x10 oval Razorback with folded loop on a TDI. Got a discernable signal on a flat one-grainer w/o headphones. Typical Mojave Desert soil. Cool.

Bill, this coil was very stable. Had no problems during the short testing period. May get to use it more today. Will keep you posted. It really screamed over 2 grainers.

Bill, this coil was very stable. Had no problems during the short testing period. May get to use it more today. Will keep you posted. It really screamed over 2 grainers.

Thanks Jim as you opinion is always respected.... !

Gang, I was unable to perform a more definative test today, therefore I will withold final judgement until later. In all things, I prefer to be absolutely certain before forming an opinion.

Size does matter...a one grain nuggie with a tdi is impressive no matter what shape the nugget is...now the profile presented to the detection field can be a major factor in whether it is detected or not...

Jim, my memory is questionable, forgive me if I have asked before...were you a contractor in Quincy and later a building inspector in Reno... many years ago?

Fred

Just for the record, the foldback design is something I designed a few years ago. It was my answer to the dual field design White's had that wouldn't step on the patent. Information of that design can be found on the Geotech1 forum, for those interested. I posted the basics as well as how to build one.

The folded 8 as I called it allowed for one to have two different size coils in the same housing by using a figure 8 design where the top half of the 8 was folded back into the bottom half. Making the 8 lopsided would provide two different size coils, thus, better sensitivity to small gold because the smaller part of the winding would enhance the signal.

The instructions on how to build coils as well as the original foldback design and even the materials used to build the first coil made by this guy were supplied by me. Fortunately, I still have some of the emails from that era providing proof for those who might believe otherwise. In fact, his first attempt didn't work because the wire I sent him was something I had not tried but recently purchased. It was Teflon coated wire that contained a strand of steel wire, something I didn't know even existed. Once I figured out what might be wrong, I sent him a different roll of wire, that did work.

Here is a link to that post on the Geotech1 forum.

http://www.geotech1....dual field coil

Just drop down and read my posts pertaining to the figure 8 fold back design. I even have a pic showing the steps to make one. This was posted back in 2009.

Now, with that said, don't expect coils built for the ML to act just like those built for the TDI. The TDI is very forgiving and will work with a wide range of designs, while the ML will not do the same. ML requires a coil have very stringent parameters to work properly.

In other words, in simple terms, if you can count, solder and have a little common sense, you can build a coil that will work on the TDI. That is the beauty of this detector.

Now, with that said, the reason I posted this is to just let people know building a coil for the TDI is easy while it is much more difficult to build properly working one for the ML.

Reg