Nugget Shooter Forums

Gun Trivia

Yup.... Did you look up the ammo?

Bill,

I looked at all the variations of the Nagant revolver and noticed the Swedish used the 7.5 ammo. But I also looked at the barrel, lanyard ring, screw placement, and cylinder to make sure.

Kinda funny you showed that gun, a few weeks ago Gander Mountain was selling the 7.62 (i think) Nagant revolvers for 129 bucks.

Rim

Nice pistol Bill, I found these diagrams from the Swedish Army manual and thought you might be interested in them, along with a little history as well.

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/swedishpistols/swedpist_g.htm

"In 1887 a new revolver in 7,5 mm, system Nagant, was accepted for officers of the armed forces. The locking mechanism was a variation of the Galand construction from 1870 which raise the hammer to a safe position from the cartridge. These revolvers were produced by Nagant in Liége and by Husqvarna.

1893 a modification was accepted which prevented the drum from moving, when the revolver was not cocked

This revolver was used until 1945 by the home guard units. The revolver was also used by special units for dog training with blank shots as late as 1989.

In the 1950s some revolvers were converted by Svenska Metallverken to fire the .32 ACP.

This model was used by the Swedish National Shooting Organization.

Some revolvers were renewed in the 1950s and were then used by a military organization called Verkskyddet. These para-military units were put up by the State Railways, the Royal Telegraph, the Department of Transportation (responsible for bridges and ferries), all power plants and power distribution companies, as well as some strategically important industries. Most of these revolvers were sold on the civilian market in the early 1980s.

The Army, as well as the Police, has used the m/87 for firing blanks while training dogs until now."

post-10941-0-25881700-1345168180_thumb.j

Good info Skip and you guys are dead on and this is an early model and the drum will turn when gun is not cocked....

Yea Rim, the newer 7.62 are pretty common and can be had very reasonably.... Not sure what this one is worth? Any idea you guys?

Hi Bill, Neat old pistol!

Here's one for sale locally (Boise area) as a reference. I think it is the same as yours.

Yours looks to be in better shape, however...

http://listings.zida...1d-66fa5eb2387a

I found a post from last month, a guy looking for a Nagant. I will post it here, if I can manage the cut and paste...

Here is the ad, looks like he wants a 1895, I'll post it anyhoo...

http://listings.zida...63-74cbcae66ec1

Gary

Bill,

I found one on Gunsamerica for $695 in 96% condition with holster. The owner seems to think it's never been fired as it came to him packed in heavy grease.

Largo,

I'm not sure why your ad says chambered in 7.65. Kinda weird.

Rim

Bill,

I found one on Gunsamerica for $695 in 96% condition with holster. The owner seems to think it's never been fired as it came to him packed in heavy grease.

Largo,

I'm not sure why your ad says chambered in 7.65. Kinda weird.

Rim

I read somewhere yesterday while looking for info on the 1887 Nagant that some of the 1887 Nagants where later refitted to 7.65 so that they would be able to fire .32 caliber rounds.

Bill that price range seems to concur with what I saw some 1887s going for, anywhere from $400 to $695.

Skip