Nugget Shooter Forums

Best GPS unit for prospecting? LR2000 tips?

carl9197

Is there a favorite make/model for prospectors? I have never used one but figure I will need one if I want to stake a claim.

Also, I have been trying to teach myself how to use the LR2000 and it is kicking my butt! I am computer savvy but for some reason this program is a beast for me to learn. I am tempted to just go to a BLM office and have an employee find all the open claims. I have heard that they have no problem doing that.

Carl in Utah

I am partial to the slightly older model Garmin's.

You can get them cheap on ebay, if you shop hard & are patient.

At camp (or, on the road) I use a military grade GPS enabled panasonic toughbook.

Plus a couple small older handheld Garmins for redundency, in case one or the other fubars.

All in a iM2400 StormCase.

I also carry a Sat phone. As cell phones are usually worthless in Mtn county.

Because you most often cannot hit a repeater tower.

I have an inverter hard wired into my mining county rig, so I can charge laptop, batteries, etc..

dpz98z.jpg

As far as LR2000 tricks, it's just a bunch of learning lessons to get using it smooth.

Otherwise, I would have to write a 20 page cheat sheet.

You also want to learn about BLM Master Title Plats.

As they give you the land status, on the ground the claims are situated on, you are eyeballing on LR2000.

No sense filing a mining claim on withdrawn ground, as BLM will void it, when they get around to it.

The other one is to learn where listed status endangered species, flora & fauna are.

No sence to stake & file a claim inside of any critical endangered species habit.

Because you will never be allowed to do any mining there.

I use the Garmon GPSMap60CSx model which is now out of production ... the replacement model is the GPSMap62CSx. This unit ... the GPSMap60CSx ... allows you to uplaod and download Garmin maps or use their propriatory chips for all sections of the country. It was one of the first with the better technology allowing you to to use it under heavy tree cover. the 62 allows you to go on the internet where and when available directly from the unit.

Mike F

Most of the Toughbooks have GPS built in Mike.

I prefer using my Garmin tethered to my Toughbook but their internal GPS does a good job in most situations.

Toughbooks are expensive but they are about the only laptop rough enough to follow you into the field.

I used to always use a lap-top tethered to a GPS for in vehicle use. I find that the Delorme series works very well in the field due to the Delorme set-up of being able to download many different layers directly into a 32gig memory card. You can have topo, satellite and many more reference layers directly in the GPS. The processor is extrememly fast and they even have models now that have direct sat hook-up for texting or emergency response.

If the internal is sketchy, I tether on an external antenna mounted on top the jeep roof.

Or, tether it to a dash mounted Garmin V, that is also hooked to another external roof antenna.

Roof or hood mounting an external antenna gets you a better sky veiw for picking up Sat's.

With a laptop, you can also use an external GPS reciever.

Google > GlobalSat BU-353 SiRF III USB GPS receiver

They are all over ebay under $50

If the internal is sketchy, I tether on an external antenna mounted on top the jeep roof.

Or, tether it to a dash mounted Garmin V, that is also hooked to another external roof antenna.

Roof or hood mounting an external antenna gets you a better sky veiw for picking up Sat's.

With a laptop, you can also use an external GPS reciever.

Google > GlobalSat BU-353 SiRF III USB GPS receiver

They are all over ebay under $50

How does it work with a PC, you still need some sort of map program?

I use National Geographic State series TOPO on compact discs.

mi2xw1.jpg

I download whichever area I want into the laptop hard drive.

And keep a back up copy on a separate Western Digital portable hard drive.

That way you have triple redundancy (disks - laptop HD & portable hard drive).

Out in isolated rough Mtn country, I am a believer in Murphy’s law.

So, have back ups, for critical items.

Otherwise you can be SOL, if things fubar. :*&$*(:

Bill, there are many available computer programs. One of the reasons I like Delorme is that anythhing you see or use on the program can be easily transfered direct to the GPS and anything you note on the GPS can be easily transfered direct to the computer program.

One of the great features of the National Geo. program (only on older versions) is you can locate any mines/prospects that show on USGS topo's. I don't know why they elimiminated that feature on the newer versions. Elder Miner, if you can find and older version from 5 years ago, it is well worth it.

I have a magnetic roof mounted Garmin antenna on my Toyota, brought it down in the back of the bed then into the cab. A bit of creative routing then brought it out at the front of the console...... definatly much better and faster to acquire satellites. Back whe I worked on aircraft, I mounted a real cool GPS antenna on a special government Geo-survey airplane. This was back when there was no civilian GPS. Any way this special antenna allowed satellites to be picked up below the horizon and made the system in that plane accurate to centimeters. Was very cool... now you can have a handheld unit almost as accurate..... gotta luv GPS!