Nugget Shooter Forums

Just wondering what brand and size you chose. Like I mentioned in a previous thread I need an addition to the beeping . I want something of good quality that will last me for quite awhile. Also any other helpful advise for someone looking the get into other lapidary aspects as well (sawing, polishing, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

For starting out a 1.5 pound barrell is perfect, takes around a month to properly do a batch of rough stones to smooth and beautifully polished and you start with coarse grit, medium, pre polish, then polish. I have 2 running now, 3 lb will do more stones. Loritone makes a good one as does Harbor Freight but made in China though well built (3 pound) and you can run either barrell 3 or 1.5 and ....

I actually sell the Loritone through one of my vendors.

Would it be better to get one of the Lortone's that did more than 1 barrel at a time like the ones that do 2 3# at the same time?... Maybe for different grits?...Sorry for my ignorance on this. I just really don't know anything about this subject at all.... Bill, Great to know that you sell these too. Shoot me a price list for whatever you recommend maybe a kit with all the grits etc.

Would it be better to get one of the Lortone's that did more than 1 barrel at a time like the ones that do 2 3# at the same time?... Maybe for different grits?...Sorry for my ignorance on this. I just really don't know anything about this subject at all.... Bill, Great to know that you sell these too. Shoot me a price list for whatever you recommend maybe a kit with all the grits etc.

Yes cause I wished I would have... There are other good ones out there so maybe wait for some others to chime in before you jump?

Bill or others

How loud is the tumbler while its running? I ask because I live in an apartment ....Could I get away with running it just during the day ?

Not loud enough to bother anyone if in a back room and its a light grind swish sort of sound like dishwasher running I'd say, but messy when changing grit and slurry and never dump down the drain or your plumbing will be doomed when it settles and sets like concrete.... I kind of like the sound :nutty:

Another thing to consider is whether you want a regular tumbler or the vibratory tumbler. The latter is faster and in my opinion, quieter. I suppose you could muffle it somehow if you wanted to run it 24 hours a day but have never tried it.

Steve

I also have a vibrating tumbler for doing cabs etc. doesn't give you the rounding effect like a tumbling model so indeed if you want to keep the original shape of the stone vibrating works well for that. To get the nice round looking stones tumbling works well...

11t5z6v.jpg

My DIY mill & 12 inch diameter jars.

I don’t do rocks.

It’s for milling gunpowder, etc.

3rd generation 8 inch diameter jars

feqadw.jpg

EM excuse my ignorance but why in the world do you mill gunpowder? I reloaded shotshells for over

30 years but never heard of this.....

I agree with Bill on the tumbling....many years ago in another life time I tumbled rocks....usually 1-2 months running 24

hours a day.....in the far corner of my garage.....I traded them with rock shops and sold a few at trade shows at the fair

grounds.....my favorite stones were Apache Tears....

Every time my first wife went in the garage (my man cave) the grinding sound would almost drive her crazy....for her it

was a short drive....she didn't have to pack a lunch....

Lortone makes great equipment but my suggestion is to get a Harbor Freight and see if you enjoy tumbling rocks. If you continue then you can upgrade to a bigger better tumbler. If you burn out on the idea you have not wasted much money.

Another option is to join a lapidary club and see if that suites you. That is what I did a few years back when I could not take the heat prospecting in the summer. The Old Pueblo Lapidary Club http://www.lapidaryclub.org/ is supposed to be great but I have never seen their facility.

Another option is to join a lapidary club and see if that suites you. That is what I did a few years back when I could not take the heat prospecting in the summer. The Old Pueblo Lapidary Club http://www.lapidaryclub.org/ is supposed to be great but I have never seen their facility.

Thanks. I will check them out for sure. Seems like they offer some interesting classes there.

Mill gunpowder???? No offense but that's crazy...

Steve

LOL... :D

How do you think black powder for muzzle loader rifles, cannons, pyrotechnics & rockets is manufactured?

You don’t mix the basic ingredients (75% Potassium Nitrate, 15% Charcoal, 10% Sulfur) with a big stick in a bucket.

You ball mill it, with multiple safety precautions. If you are smart, the ball mill (in use) is inside a blast proof bunker & remotely operated..

LOL... :D

How do you think black powder for muzzle loader rifles, cannons, pyrotechnics & rockets is manufactured?

You don’t mix the basic ingredients (75% Potassium Nitrate, 15% Charcoal, 10% Sulfur) with a big stick in a bucket.

You ball mill it, with multiple safety precautions. If you are smart, the ball mill (in use) is inside a blast proof bunker & remotely operated..

It would make more sense to ball mill them individually , then simply mix. And not all black powder is always made the same way.

Steve

And you guys make this stuff at home?... That takes a big set of cohones :wubu:

NOT AT HOME. That is illegal, at least in a city or residential areas & without a permit or license.

I have a shop on 60 acres of isolated land. Back behind the shop a considerable distance is a powder magazine. Further away is a blast bunker (4x6 posts, plywood & composition roof & sand bags). Just in case something goes badly wrong.

The milling media is very expensive small ceramic cylinders.

Cost of the milling media is enough to make you vomit.

It is (almost) as heavy as lead & will not create sparks.

23rpc38.jpg

242yer9.jpg

NOT AT HOME. That is illegal, at least in a city or residential areas & without a permit or license.

I have a shop on 60 acres of isolated land. Back behind the shop a considerable distance is a powder magazine. Further away is a blast bunker (4x6 posts, plywood & composition roof & sand bags). Just in case something goes badly wrong.

The milling media is very expensive small ceramic cylinders.

Cost of the milling media is enough to make you vomit.

It is (almost) as heavy as lead & will not create sparks.

23rpc38.jpg

242yer9.jpg

Ok since nobody else is going to ask I'll once again be the fool and ask what are these little brown things...

The link below explains what MINING type ball mills are & do.

http://www.mine-engineer.com/mining/ballmill.htm

The “little brown things” are the grinding media that goes in a very small (spark proof) ball mill jar, along with whatever pyrotechnic chemicals or thing you intend to intimately mix and/or mill (grind) down to a very fine powder.

Browse around in the link below.

http://www.hobbychemicalsupply.com/servlet/StoreFront

These are all constituents of various pyrotechnic compositions (oxidizers, fuels, binders, etc).

The link below is another source of pyrotechnic chemicals, components, along with tutorials & kits for making some.

http://www.skylighter.com/

Some of these components are rather expensive per pound. If you are innovative, have the mind & means to. Many can be made in a shop at far lower bulk prices. For instance, I make my own magnalium (alloy of aluminum & magnesium) & others.

Making high end pyrotechnics, low or high order explosives, blasting agents, incendiaries, rocket fuels & the like is NOT child’s play & requires licenses, discipline & certain skills. Nor is it a hobby for the timid. :hmmmmm:

Over the span of my long life, we ran into situations where we needed something (explosive, blasting agent, flare, incendiary, ignition system, etc) to do something, but it didn’t exist. So, where possible, I made it.

Ever seen a tiny incendiary that would vaporize holes in stainless steel?

Below is a burn test in a small stainless steel ramekin

1q5ro7.jpg

1j88dh.jpg

j9lvs9.jpg

Attched is a PDF file (dated reading) on the subject matter.

Ellern - Military and Civilian Pyrotechnics1.pdf

EM were you by any chance a Army Sgt. in around 1966? You sound just like the one that tried to get me in the

bomb disposal business back then.....

At the end of the first day he asked me what I thought.....just the opening I was waiting for all day and in front of

the whole class I informed the Sgt. that if I ever found a bomb I was going to run like h-e-l-l and call his arse....

I could see his jaw muscles moving and the veins in his neck starting to bulge when he said: Martin you don't have

to be in my class any more.....timid no.....100% chicken....

EM were you by any chance a Army Sgt. in around 1966? You sound just like the one that tried to get me in the

bomb disposal business back then.....

About that time I was an Army Chief Warrant 2.

Drafted, accepted a commission.

Glad that one is behind me.

Vietnam sucked.