Nugget Shooter Forums

hello can anybody help identify this rock

A layered or banded metamorphic Migmatite, which is, more or less, layers of schist and gneiss with, aparently, a layer of Amphibolite containing, mostly, hornblende and plagioclase. Considered unusual but not uncommon. It's composition will vary greatly depending on the country rock or sill where it had originaly formed. Glacially deposited and potentially any where from a 1-3 billion yrs. old. Exact ID. will only be accomplished by removing a couple thin sections and examined petrographically. But to just have it cut in half, and then sand & polish the two cut sides, you'd have 2 real pretty specimens fer a collection. Very cool! I'd give ya $20.- for it! :D ...RH

That red you see is a powder that's locked in that clear calcite . I took a few samples and rock started bleeding . I see there a chainsaw blade that cuts rock. Has anybudy ever used one

Never herd of any kinda chainsaw blade fer cuttin rock. The only blades capable of slicing solid rock, that I know of are diamond blades fer concrete saws, but Pesky, when you photograph a rock specimen you should always set some type of known object of known dimensions next to it to show scale, for example, a yardstick or ruler, anything will do, coffee cup or beer can, anything. But Pesky, man you live near by, we need to git together, meet,and make friends. I got another friend lives down in Maybee, Mi., he's been a prospector/miner fer more than 30yrs. he's 70 but in good physical shape, and he owns a portable dredge he's never had a chance to use, and he has a highbanker w/ a small trash pump. And he's dyin to go down to the 2 GPAA leases in Ohio bout 3-4 hrs. south of us fer a few days where the mining guide says on those leases that flour and flake is abundant. But if the 3 of us could git together and pool our resources and spend 4 or so days down there, we could all walk away with a couple oz's each! I don't know, maybe you just ain't interested in makin 3 grand in a week, and havin fun with good friends doin it, I don't know, but you and I do have a mutual interest in cool rock specimens. And I, old Bill in monroe , and I think you as well, combined have a mutual interest in prospecting. darn brother,ain't none of us are gittin any younger and good friends with mutual interests git harder and harder to find when yer a crusty old fart like us. I think some of these other fellers out in AZ might just agree with me, and to just name a few, Bill Southern, Frank C, AZ digger, Johnno, Garimpo, Fred Mason, Desrtsunburn, Bucket, Terry Soloman, Bedrock Bob, what say you fellers if'n ya'll read this post in this thread.(Oh, and to the admin and mods, sorry fer references about darn & fart, if they earn me some of those warning points, I guess I'm overdo), may this should have been a PM to Pesky personaly, but it's tough findin fellers with the same intersts that live near by, but I'll shut up, I've ranted too much already, most kindly and sincere!....RH

That sounds fun , the problem I have is I own and operate a wild life control company called pesky critter removel . Here's my web site animalremovalmi.com . For me to just take one day off is a big deal because I have traps out on people's houses and when a animal gets captured I must pick them up . So when I do get to get out I never know because it depends on how many calls I get . I have been building a dredge and have some private property to run it on . Was doing a bat removal job the other day . My son was out back checking out the woods and found this old farmers rock pile . I asked the customer if we could take a few and they said sure . Found this big rock of decomposed granite . We had to bust it up to get it out and I've crushed up about half of it . I got some chunky gold out of it . The outer edge had the bigger gold . I think most of the gold washed away because after I wobble panned some of the dirty water and then looked with my loupe I found all this micro gold . I'll post a couple pic of it . Found this gaint boulder that's green with a 1 1/2" quartz vien with black sulfides . I took a couple of samples thinking there might be something good in the vein . There's nothing I can see but the green rock is just loaded with with this shinny silver looking stuff . At first I thought must be lead sulfide but after taking the map gas torch to it over and over and even Adding charco around it I can't hardly melt it and just turns more bright silver colored . It must be nicklle because it takes high heat more than anything if tryed to smelt down . I would hope its some kinda platinum ore but theres no way I could have found that much platinum , it must be nicklle . I need to get a gas powered hammer drill so I can handle these big rocks . The chain saw I seen cutting slabs of rock is on YouTube . They had a water pump hooked up to it as well . I do have a nice rock crusher . Need to build a wash plant . I'm thinking I should run the dirty water first . Build like a tank and wash the float gold off first and then do a clean up and then run the heavy stuff . Been collecting lots of silver ore with silver sulfide . Need to learn how to get the silver out of it . I think yes we have placer gold and yes I have a few good spots up to 12 specks up to fine gold per pan .I think we have more micro gold that you can't see with out a loupe . These gravel pits have areas where water collects (mud puddles) after each rain . These spots need to be checked for micro gold . We also have Canadian mountains all ground up laying at are feet and there's got to be lots of good ores at are feet as well . Fact is I found larger chunky gold in rock than I have found I pockets in rivers and creeks . The rocks to look for are the decomposed ones . From what I'm told that's how gold is made in to metal yellow gold . They say the best place to find gold is where gold has already been found but someone has to find it first . Yes I have gold and silver fever that is true . If I do find it that's fine but it's hunt I'm after and it is fun and good clean health fun .