Nugget Shooter Forums

A magnet cane detector?

I have a problem swinging a detector...after 45 minutes or so, I have so much pain in my lower back that I have to quit. I saw this ad for the Pinpointer, and am wondering if it could be attached/adapted to a magnet cane. I have no back problem at all walking 5 or 6 hours with my magnet cane. Anyone have any ideas for my problem? Thanks.

What detector are you swing? Just my opinion without any experience in meteor hunting ... The pinpointer may work on a separate cane ... attached to the magnet cane may cause the pinpointer to false all the time depending on the make-up of the magnet. Just be aware that the pinpointer will have very limited depth compared to a detector.

Mike F

I just bought a Garrett Pro-Pointer from Bill Southern to use for my coin and relic hunting. I tested it with dozens of meteorites this morning, so it's funny this subject came up.

Well, here are my results. The Garrett Pro-Pointer (Made in AMERICA) detected all the Franconia meteorites I put it on. It had to be right on them. Same with the Yelland Dry Lake, Danby Dry Lake and some Gold Basin. It would not detect some of the Gold Basin finds I have.

In all cases, you darn near had to touch the specimen. So, I'd say it works with H chondrites and could be hit or miss with L chondrites. A magnet, if you do not mind putting a magnet up to your meteorite would weigh less and work better!

That said, during this morning's coin hunt the pointer really saved me some time root'in around for my finds and I am a happy camper with it. :thumbsupanim I intend to wear it out!

What detector do you have???

Jim

Jim

I was using a Whites GMT that I borrowed from Troy Ball, at Franconia last week. And I was wearing a harness. Sounds like the Pinpoint is a little weak for meteorites. Wonder if there's a way to increase it's power.