Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia Anniversary Meteorite Hunt

Aloha Dave,

You always seem to walk away from each hunt with something very nice. Good job Dave.

Aloha and stay well,

Stan aka Kaim

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Richard and Happy Birthday! Thank you Twink, Don, Doland Dave, Mike and many more for your help and I am happy to report that I got my first one today! It is almost the identical weight of the quartz nugget. It is 121 grams! Here are the pics.

Is there another place to post lots more pictures or should I just put them on a host and put the link here?

Mitchel

post-26254-0-34672900-1349667881_thumb.j

post-26254-0-67684900-1349667921_thumb.j

post-26254-0-32388500-1349667991_thumb.j

post-26254-0-48908000-1349668118_thumb.j

post-26254-0-61698700-1349668179_thumb.j

post-26254-0-37265900-1349668228_thumb.j

Hope everyone had a safe and fruitful trip and happy birthday to all of you oct baby's. wish I could have made it out but got new jobs at work and just could not get the time off not to mention the wife's birthday was sat and I don't think that would have gone over very good waiting for mor reports and pics. And Mitchel that's a nice find you did very well this weekend. Hope you all saved some for me as I'll be out there towards the end of the month to try out my new gold bug 2 to see if I can find some irons. Waiting impatiently.

Bryan

... I am happy to report that I got my first one today!

Mitchel, that's awesome. Did you find that up on the hill after we saw you? Congrats!

Vinnie and Michelle

Sunday morning I took Vinnie and Michelle up to a spot in the north that I had wanted to hunt on Saturday. We were only going to hunt until about noon, and just as we were leaving Vinnie made his first find ever, on his first hunting trip ever: a nice 83.5g stone right on the surface. Big congrats on what I'm sure is only the first of many to come for you both!

FranconiaOct2012-012.jpg

FranconiaOct2012-014.jpg

Mike,

I went to the top of that big hill and I took some pictures of you guys going on up in front of me. I was going to catch up but not having any water I thought I should turn back. I saw 'evidence' of many digs on the sides of the hills on the way back and just after I stopped to take a picture of the survey marker I got a good hit. It was down about 5 inches in the ash but it sounded pretty good and jumped on the magnet. Even my pointer was going nuts on it. I was happy to have gotten my first one. I checked the area just a bit and pretty much went straight back to my car for something to drink but that was about 5 miles down the hill on the other side of the tracks.

That is a great find for Vinnie. I thought they would abandon you since you had taken them out so far and they didn't have a detector. (haha)

It was a good 4 days even tho a little bit warm on Friday and Saturday.

:thumbsupanim Congrats to all the folks that found meteorites! Oh what a feeling!!!

Jim

Aloha Vinnie,

WOW 83 gammer on your first time out! Now the hook is set. Nice find and hope you get many more. But now you are going to really have to work at it for sure.

Aloha and take care,

Stan aka Kaimi

I came up with 2 finds, a nice size 3.5 gram iron, and a 91 gram chondrite.

Nice, Dave! You fond that iron just as I got there on Friday and I just heard the call on the radio. I missed seeing your chondrite, though, it's nice! It was good to meet you.

WOW 83 gammer on your first time out! Now the hook is set. Nice find and hope you get many more. But now you are going to really have to work at it for sure.

I think his find might even be a Warm Springs Wilderness meteorite actually. There is one small chip in the fusion crust on one corner, and the interior was very light, which is what the WSW H4-6 looks like, as opposed to the darker Franconia and SaW chondrites.

Had a great time at my first Franconia hunt. Great, except I was skunked. Was worried about getting to the tunnel, but my Forester just sailed thru all that sand, thank goodness. Enjoyed the evening at the campsite, chatting with everybody, and eating around the fire. A special shout-out to Richard for organizing and smoothly running the photo shoots, awards, and making everyone feel comfortable. Can't wait to see the photos.

And a very big thanks to Troy for saving my bacon. My detector went on the fritz, and he was kind enough to lend my a White's GMT that worked beautifully. He even let me keep it for two more days, so I could go to Gold Basin...which I did. Skunked there, too, dammit. You're a good friend Troy, thanks.

I WILL find some meteorites...I WON'T give up.

Congradulations to everyone that found one, especially Vinnie, and Mitchel. Happy birthday to everyone, I believe Robby, and Richard to name a few.

Dennis came away with a nice find also, congrats...

Mike nice to meet you again !!! Thanks for keeping me and a few others from parking on Railroad property !!! I believe you got one right? What was the size?

Richard had some nice custom hats made up for the 10th anniversary !!!! :yesss:

We missed a few from the outing... Stan, Jason, Jim, Wendy.. wished you guys could have been there.

Dave.

Franconia, AZ. 10TH Anniversary

With temperatures in the mid-nineties, but feeling like the triple digits, there was a good showing of experienced and newbie meteorite hunters arriving at Franconia to celebrate its 10TH Anniversary. As many of you know, John Wolfe is given credit for making the first meteorite find on October 31,2002. There are many that helped put this strewn field on the map with their discoveries, Lee Graylock, Sonny Clary, Ruben Garcia, Rob Ward, Bob Verish, Geoff Notkin, Richard Norton, but none more than Jim Smaller. Stan Santiago introduced me to Jim Smaller in 2007, while I was learning the Franconia strewn field. I’m truly sorry that I never got to know him. Jim Smaller’s pain-staking efforts to map the Franconia Strewn field made it possible for others to make there first finds. Jim Wooddell eventually picked up the torch. Unfortunately I’m unable to list all and I apologize for that. Their actions have brought so many together who share a childhood dream of finding their first space rock or those who seek the adventure of treasure hunting. What ever the reason for coming to Franconia or any other strewn field for that matter the good that comes out of the friendships that are formed can not be measured. I give thanks to all involved that made it happen. You also have to give thanks to Bill Southern, Jim Wooddell and Geoff Notkin for their websites that keep us all in touch with each other. All that showed up seemed to have a great time whether they found a space rock, a chunk of gold (Congrats to Mitchell) or only the experience of the hunt. The best of the event was all the stories shared around the campfire of the meteorite hunting legions like Jim Kriegh told by Twink Monrad, Frank Campagnano, and Dennis Miller. To me that was worth the entire trip, but the bonus was watching guys like (Dolan) Dave Libuszowski or Mike Mulgrew help the newbie’s Jim Mettler and Vinnie Laurente make their first meteorite finds.

On a side note: Vinnie Laurente, who is in the U.S. Navy stationed in San Diego, will be deployed for 8 months starting October 9th leaving his wife Michelle behind. Michelle has a fascination of all things astronomy related, especially meteorites. Vinnie and Michelle were celebrating their ninth wedding anniversary the same weekend of the Franconia hunt. Vinnie decided to surprise Michelle by bringing her to the event. Congrats to the happy couple on their wedding anniversary and first meteorite find.

Thanks to all that came out, and sorry for those that could not.

See photos attached,

Richard AKA kgmrg

P.S.

Stan and Jason you guys were missed.

http://s1189.photobu...TH Anniversary/

Yes Stan an Jayray were missed. And many others.

Richard sorry I had to get home early on sat. unexpectedly !!! I missed a bunch I'm sure not being there sat. nite.

Congrats to all who made finds and hope to see even more turn out at the next outing.

And Thanks Jim for setting up the telescope and yours and Richards commentary's on the night skys.

Congratulations to all that made finds!! Richard thank you for taking time to teach an old dog. I had a great time and hope to meet up with you again, Gold Basin sounds like a plan.

Thank to all for a great time,

Gary

Dave, all I found were some good times. I'll be back soon, though. As long as anyone I'm with finds a meteorite I'm a happy camper, literally.

Frank, it was good to meet you, looking forward to swinging a detector with you in the future.

Gary, I agree, that Gold Basin trip sounds like it's going to be great!

-Mike

First off we want to say a HUGE thanks to everyone that we were able to befriend this weekend, Michelle and I couldn't have felt more comfortable and accepted by a group whom we had never even met before! Richard thank you for putting on this event and going above and beyond to educate on meteorites, astronomy, safety, and campfire talk about gun laws (hahaha). John drove us in to the tunnel saturday and stuck with us, showing us the ropes, and making sure we were on the right track. We came back empty handed Saturday but our spirits were high with the excitement of the hunt. Michelle would like to give a special thanks to Twink for the beautiful GB necklace that she kindly gifted to us after she found out that we were empty handed, it is very special to her. Mike, we can't thank you enough for an awesome day Sunday! Everything Richard said about you is true. Roy, Tom, and Cody thank you guys for the tips and conversation, I guess it REALLY helped out! Dennis, your the kind of guy you would want around any camp fire, thanks for all the laughs and letting us use those monster specs to check out the night sky.

Michelle and I will never forget this, our first meteorite hunt experience, what a way to spend our Anny. Michelle said it was one of the top three experiences of her life! By the way, Richard, thank you for the hat! Michelle wore it the whole way home. The friends we made and shared it with will hopefully be in our lives for a long time. We both learned so much and are so appreciative of the help and kindness we recieved from everyone, we can't express it enough. Thanks again and we can't wait for the next adventure.

-Vinnie & Michelle Laurente

post-26414-0-10904200-1349771160_thumb.j

Sorry I missed this outing, I saw some talk about a gold basin meeting, please let me know when so I can try to make it.

Congrats to all who made finds.

First off we want to say a HUGE thanks to everyone that we were able to befriend this weekend, Michelle and I couldn't have felt more comfortable and accepted by a group whom we had never even met before! Richard thank you for putting on this event and going above and beyond to educate on meteorites, astronomy, safety, and campfire talk about gun laws (hahaha). John drove us in to the tunnel saturday and stuck with us, showing us the ropes, and making sure we were on the right track. We came back empty handed Saturday but our spirits were high with the excitement of the hunt. Michelle would like to give a special thanks to Twink for the beautiful GB necklace that she kindly gifted to us after she found out that we were empty handed, it is very special to her. Mike, we can't thank you enough for an awesome day Sunday! Everything Richard said about you is true. Roy, Tom, and Cody thank you guys for the tips and conversation, I guess it REALLY helped out! Dennis, your the kind of guy you would want around any camp fire, thanks for all the laughs and letting us use those monster specs to check out the night sky.

Michelle and I will never forget this, our first meteorite hunt experience, what a way to spend our Anny. Michelle said it was one of the top three experiences of her life! By the way, Richard, thank you for the hat! Michelle wore it the whole way home. The friends we made and shared it with will hopefully be in our lives for a long time. We both learned so much and are so appreciative of the help and kindness we recieved from everyone, we can't express it enough. Thanks again and we can't wait for the next adventure.

-Vinnie & Michelle Laurente

Hi Vinnie and Michelle!

Congrats on your find. And, Richard mentioned your deployment. Wendy and I want to wish you well and I want to thank you for your Service. Be safe and come back to hunt some more.

Jim

Aloha Vinnie and Michelle.

Well it looks like the hook has been sunk and we now have two more meterorite hunters out there keeping theirs eyes up in the sky for a new fall and also picking up every rock they probably run across now.

Nice find Vinne and Mahalo for serving the country and make sure you stay safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

Congratulations to all that made finds!! Richard thank you for taking time to teach an old dog. I had a great time and hope to meet up with you again, Gold Basin sounds like a plan.

Thank to all for a great time,

Gary

Gary

It was a pleasure meeting you and hope we get the chance to hunt again.

I hope you made it in time for your daughter's event and all went well.

Richard