Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia Anniversary Meteorite Hunt

Take I-40 to Exit 13, Franconia Rd. Go South. You will going up a small hill and just look for the crowd. Hard to get lost.Also many of us carry FRS radios and are on Channel 11 Tone 1Exit 13 is the next freeway exit EAST of the I-40, AZ HWY 95 intersection where there is gas, food, showers, etc.Jim

I was looking for a reason to buy a set of FRS radios. :thumbsupanim

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking for a reason to buy a set of FRS radios. :thumbsupanim

This has worked out pretty good as once we get hunting everyone goes off in different directions. The only time we did not use them is when Richard found his 400 grammer!!! I was, and this is the truth, two washes and two hills away from where he was and I heard him yell out! He sounded like a full grown bear in heat or something like that! Darn near shook the ground! :D

If you all can...bring firewood for the campfire. I'll be bringing some. No nails!!

Jim

I spent all weekend cutting firewood, I'll toss some of the bigger stumps on my roof rack and bring them. They're too green for my fireplace, but will be nice for a camp fire.

• 2 weeks later...

So, based on the new rules, it appears the Wilderness area of Franconia is now closed to hunting meteorites. That is pretty much all of the North side.

That's a good question. According to some, the new BLM law states you can not hunt for meteorites in wilderness areas.

Members on this site are currently discussing this issue.I fear we may have to cancel the Franconia hunt in October.

Standby to standby.

Its ridiculous to even "think" of cancelling a get together because of that paperwork.

Richard if you don't go hunt meteorites , even if you stay off the wilderness area they WIN and you LOSE.

There is a umongous amount of open land on the south side to hunt. And absolutely no reason not to do so.

Also there is plenty of ground on the north side of the hiway to hunt without going into the wilderness area.

I can't believe you said that.

Take care RELAX an Hapy Huntn Richard.

Hi all,

Had a few questions about your meet up at Franconia. First off, my wife and I will be celebrating our 8th anny around the time of this meet up and would love to celebrate it and make this our first of hopefully many future hunts. Neither of us have ever done anything like this but have always been interested in trying meteor hunting, rock hounding, and anything else adventourous! So for my questions:

-is this an open hunt for anyone of any level?

-we do not have a metal detector, will we be fine with naked eye and magnets?

-if driving up from San Diego is there anywhere else on the way that is a must hit for more hunting?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vinnie and Michelle

MVOB believe me, it is open to folks of all levels, they even welcomed me to a hunt about a year ago. Metal detectors are nice, that's how the 400 grammer was found by richard as it was completely buried. but they are not vital, a magnet stick and a good eye will do fine, as many will attest.

I'm hoping to make this hunt, but with gas prices as they are, and rising, I don't know if we can budget it.

In California you need a free campfire permit to have any sort of campfire on BLM land. Does the same requirement exist in Arizona? We need to have all our ducks in a row when we're out there.

I'd like to bring along a 16 year old young man in dire need of squatting, checkin', and carrying all rocks and minerals. He's wirey, doesn't talk much, brushes his teeth and is polite. A point will be made to buy him the heaviest, largest magnet on a stick he can carry. Granted his radio will be tuned to channel 11 in case I need a digger. As a matter of fact he'll squat, dig and carry for any and all. His mother's orders! I hope there will be a meteorite master there to teach me to tune my Lobo to measure meteor music. Ok, enough alliteration out of me. We plan on makin' the trip.

I'm sure someone there will be willing to take the time to help you out with the VLF.

And the boy will get a history lesson at the very least relating to the 2nd world wars effect on this area of Arizonas desert.

Hopefully he'll have some meteorites to see also.

My original plan was to go up way up North and hunt and now I think I will hang around Iron Alley and hunt for irons.

Jim