Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kgmrg

Franconia Anniversary Meteorite Hunt

On October 5-6TH a group of us will gather at the Franconia, Az strewn field for a meteorite hunt to honor the 10TH Anniversary of it's discovery, October 31,2002, and celebrate those who share a birthday in the month of October. On Friday, October 5TH we will set up camp at the south end within BLM land. The camping area is surrounded by a Wilderness Preserve which means no vehicles of any kind are allowed in those areas. Bring your own personal camping comforts drinks, food, and sleeping accommodations, as nothing will be provided. I do not recommend motor homes due to road conditions. Remember this is a desert so be prepared as there are dangerous snakes and other wild life. :WOW: The hunt will take place on Saturday, October 6TH at sunrise and end one hour before dusk, I hope to have awards for the best finds. We had a good showing last year, so I hope to see old faces along with new. Additional info will follow as we get closer to the date.

Richard

Directions:

Driving from Kingman,AZ or Needles,CA. Travel the Interstate 40 and take exit 13 east of the Lake Havasu,AZ exit. Drive south from the asphalt roadway onto the dirt road extension up a dirt grade until you reach the posted camp site which is less than a mile from the freeyway

post-3321-0-42196400-1344454609_thumb.jp post-3321-0-94530900-1344454650_thumb.jp

And remember that when we camp out there on Federal land we represent the entire meteorite community. Pack out what you pack in, and leave the camp better than you found it.

pack.jpg

I'm new to the forum and don't know how this works, but is anyone welcome to come to your outing?

Saginaw

Saginaw

Absolutely! It's the best way to meet people.

Richard

That's great. I've been wanting to hunt Franconia and meet some of the forum.

Saginaw

Tenth annual...??? where has the time gone?

I think, if I may, that remembering JIm Smaller would be most appropriate at any Franconia Outing...he did much of the mapping of that strewn field...And he was a wonderful, ever helpful person!

fred

I totally agree Fred. Jim was a true inspiration to me and many others. I haven't been to Franconia since he passed. I'll never forget sitting around the campfire with him up there feeding leftovers to the kit fox that came in to camp for a visit... That little guy ate well that night.... For all you guys that have never been to these outings... Take advantage of the opportunity. The collective knowledge of these guys and gals is priceless.

Richard,

Thanks for the info. I plan on being there with my ML 5000. Today I was telling a friend about it and he would like to meet me there if I have a detector for him to use so that brings me to my question. If I already have a 5000 then what type of used detector should I buy to be complimentary to that technology? Gold Bug II, Pro ... any suggestion?

mn90403

I use a Gold Bug 2 and a whites GMT VLF metal detectors, they both work equally well.

See you in October

Richard

For those that have not been to Richard's Franconia Get together's, I have a write up on my webpage below for last year's event. Go to the ScrapBook and click on the 10-8-2011 date. This may wet your whistle for finding meteorites!

Jim

I think I may just make this one as well, been a long while since I have hunted there....

Bill and Frank

I've been waiting a long time to meet you both, I hope you guys can make it.

Richard

I hope to make it out for this gathering. been a long time.

Yes it has been Rick... Planning on showing up myself. Good to hear from you.

Bill and Frank

I've been waiting a long time to meet you both, I hope you guys can make it.

Richard

Hi Richard I plan to be there unless something weird happens to prevent it. Will look forward to meeting you as well....

I may have to get up there... could someone be kind and post more explicit directions...unless this is the same camping area that we used for Jim's memorial outing and others that Bill organized...

thanks

fred

Fred you better make it up there I haven't seen you since last year I believe. Yes it was at the basin.

Well theres 3 outings planned for this fall 2 in Oct and 1 in Nov. so far so I hope you can make them Fred.

We are definately gettin OLDER an don't know how long we'll be around mother earth.

I may have to get up there... could someone be kind and post more explicit directions...unless this is the same camping area that we used for Jim's memorial outing and others that Bill organized...

thanks

fred

Yep gonna need a map or something to the actual camping area... Been many years since I've been up that way.

Well after exiting at the Franconia exit from either E. or W. bound and going to the south side of the freeway and climbing the little grade there are alot of clearings suitable for parking without traveling a long distance up the washboard bumpass road.

I may just park somewhere in there if I'm towing the trailer. And then find the rest of you guys an gals.

Take I-40 to Exit 13, Franconia Rd. Go South. You will going up a small hill and just look for the crowd. Hard to get lost.

Also many of us carry FRS radios and are on Channel 11 Tone 1

Exit 13 is the next freeway exit EAST of the I-40, AZ HWY 95 intersection where there is gas, food, showers, etc.

Jim

If you all can...bring firewood for the campfire. I'll be bringing some. No nails!!

Jim

D-Sil

I will be there sometime Friday morning. Look for my rust colored jeep parked on the south side not far from the freeway exit.

Richard