Nugget Shooter Forums

Kern River Valley

Weser

Be extremely careful of the Killer Kern as body counts posted every year. Better relics and indian artifacts than gold mining. Some but smaller as a general rule-John

Yah, the Kern River can be a killer ... When I was in my teens, some buddies and I used to float down it on inner tubes from a few miles above Kernville all the way down to town ... There's a nasty waterfall about half a mile above town, but there was a chute on the side that would allow us to bypass the falls if we went down it one at a time ... Last time I did it, my friend behind me got too close and panicked, grabbing my inner tube to launch himself into the chute and spinning me backwards off the falls ... I got trapped under water for a long time and thought I was drowning ... Finally the falls spit me out and the river dragged me under water for about 100 yards ... Lucky for me, when I popped to the surface my tube was only a few feet away and I was able to wrap my arm around it and hang on until I got out of the swift water ... I never did it again ... If you go on Google Earth and search for Kernville, CA, you can plainly see the falls upriver from the town ... Cheers, Unc

Be extremely careful of the Killer Kern as body counts posted every year. Better relics and indian artifacts than gold mining. Some but smaller as a general rule-John

My first wife was Buck Owens' secretary in the mid-'60's ... One of her regular jobs was to go to Oildale outside of Bakersfield and bail Merle, Waylon and Johnny Cash out of jail many Monday mornings ... June Carter (later to be June Carter Cash) was her room mate... (I still have a little gold frog that June gave me.) ... Like Merle said, I'll never swim Kern River again! ... Cheers, Unc

Yep, just like Merle said: I'll never swim the Kern River again! Grubstake

Yeh, I met Merle up in a truckstop in Shasta, back in the earlly 90's, I was driving longhaul then, I was cold, and snowing, I ran in to the counter, and told the girl I wanted ti fill my coffee jug up, I saw a big fancy bus outside, Itsaid Santa fe express on the side. I said: I wonder who that belongs too! a little guy sitting at the counter said me! Merle Haggard. I about fell in the floor. Grubstake

Merle still lives here and seen regularly in Redding. You were darn lucky Ron as I've helped pull floaters out in the late 60's and early 70s as working the Circle H ranch at Bodfish helping out friends. Nasty river and never found much gold-John

I still have my psychedelic tie dye T-shirt from Chuck Richard's whitewater outfit. It's a picture of a skull pointing a finger at you stating ;

"Raft the Kern or Die!" Did it back in '98 I believe.

Very fun outfit and trip. I went swimming when I fell out of the boat and got sucked under( popped up a few feet away).

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic, but back in the 60s me and my buds were young, dumb and fulla cum... We went down the kern many weekends and a few years later, when i was in Bakersfield college, we used to swim the lower Kern and shortline smallmouth bass ... Then down below the river was Lake Ming, awesome for water skiing and roostertail racers.... We had folks from Buck Owens staff (including my first wife) Johnny Cash & his bunch, Merle Haggards crew and some others I don't remember (but who became famous) ...They were all ok folks and we drank a butt load o beer together, etc .... fun times way back in the mid=60s!

...Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

I just found a big poster/map I used to sell in my store,out of print in the early 80s,that listed all the gold/indian,gems & mineral and historical sights of the whole Kernville/Keysville/Bodfish area. Glossy covered so in fantastic shape but a real pain to copy. Amazing what I've found lookn' fer AnMt booklet. John

I just found a big poster/map I used to sell in my store,out of print in the early 80s,that listed all the gold/indian,gems & mineral and historical sights of the whole Kernville/Keysville/Bodfish area. Glossy covered so in fantastic shape but a real pain to copy. Amazing what I've found lookn' fer AnMt booklet. John

John is it possible to take a good photo of the poster?

I'll try but copyright check first as have forgoten how long they are good for. I have many out of print maps,reports etc collected,wisdom of the ages I must get checking on.John