Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Firs off still a newbee lo,l have been doing a lot of forum, manual reading and found out that if your using a mono loop-once you change the front switch to clx mode you will be no longer to detect gold, it will still sound off on other metals once you get fairly close with your coil not sure about all the usual trash just not gold, anyone using this to discriminate out?

do you mean cancel mode? If so, all it does is really dumb down the detector so it can operate in extreme noise, like under power lines. It will still detect gold in cancel and good to use if you are digging a real hot/loud target and it is overloading the detector, that will calm it down and give an easier signal to listen to.

Yes in cancel mode, and I have read only with a mono coil it stops detecting gold at all, so i tried it this weekend with a test nugget, not a sound with the nugget against the mono coil itself. It will pick up the nails and other trash if you get the coil close, but with gold not a sound.at all.

Thats right, only use cancel with a DD. it is not for a Mono. Grubstake

Thats right, only use cancel with a DD. it is not for a Mono. Grubstake

Grubby is spot on and the cancel mode as well as discrimination will ONLY work when you have a DD coil on your GPX 5000....

OOPS, sorry I forgot to mention that very important part of the question

Went right over my head also and I use a DD more than a mono.....Dum-Dee-Dum-Dumb :th:

Hears the testing I did this weekend took my Mono coil switched into cancel mode, air testing I held a nail, set of keys, old can up to the stock 11" coil and could hear a target from about 3-4" inches away, took a gold test nugget and it was dead silent except for the steady threshold.

So lets say im digging a target get down 10-12 inches and switch over to cancel mode, if the target stops sounding off then its a good chance its gold, if it still sounding off then its trash and I can stop digging? Is my thinking off some place?

Yep, way off, its only sounding off on the keys, because its overloading thew detector. Just dig it all, only takes a minute and you;ll get the trash out of the way, along with some good gold. Grubstake

MG read grubstakes post above again....he nailed it on the head....if your using a mono coil forget

cancel....PERIOD.....cancel can only be used if your using a DD coil.....

MonsterGuppy,

Why?

The "wheel" works great

but first you have to learn how to use it correctly...

Read the manual, experiment with the detector,

read the manual again, if you can't figure out what to do, ask questions

read the manual again, get to know the detector,

etc.

Best of luck

MG ... I teach/instruct how to use the GPX series and some other machines ... The biggest concern I have after spending a little time with a "student" is the lack of time spent with the nose in the manual. The GPX manual is very good if you take the time to read it a few times. My best suggestion after reading it 2-3 times is to take one function of the manual and practice it until it is understood ... then do the next one. If you and others do that I will be out of business but you will be a better electronic prospector ... guaranteed! There is a learning curve on every detector ... many functions are the same from one detector to the next ... but it is critically important that you understand what the detector you are using is telling you ... the only way you can do that is with practice ... and as my old shooting instructor used to say "not just any practice ... PERFECT practice!" What that means is practice the basics ... in this case what the manual is telling you ... until it is second nature and natural for you ... THEN and ONLY then should you try to re-invent the wheel.

Hope this helps and doesn't sound too much like a lecture. :)

Mike F

im always trying to think outside the box reinvent the wheel so to speak :)

This IMO is exactlly the way you should be and is exactlly the way I do it-sure you can read the manual and try others suggestions about settings and even get lessons Butttt IMO the best way to find out Isssssssssss to push the beeper to its limits IN THE FEILD-for me all that the manual and the how to videos do is complicate things more-Im more of a hands on type :head: PS-Ive had my 5000 for almost 2 years now and found gold almost every trip out with it and have yet to read the manual :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C... :ph34r2:

Mike C ... My comments are meant for the beginning detector owner ... more specifically the first time owner of a Minelab PI ... I know you have been around for awhile and likely have had many ML detectors in your hands over the years ... I know I have. if you have a few years with a previous SD or GP series ML detector you could in fact pick up a 5000 and learn by fire! if not you could stumble around an awefully lot and probably spend months or even years if you are patient to learn the basics. Understanding the manual and what the different timings will do and under what conditions will indeed shorten the learning curve. Just my humble opinion. You're entitled to yours even if I disagree with it :)

Mike F

Hi Mike this wasnt directed toward you but since you stepped into ittttttttt-Just out of curiosity I have a few questions for you----

How long have you been an instructor and what qualifies you to be one ?

How often do you actually get out with your beeper ?

How many students have you instructed ?

Now keep in mind Ive been on these forums for years and know a little :idea: You dont have to answer if you choose not to :inocent: Minelab made the new Gpx series more user friendly than the previous models with newbies in mind :thumbsupanim they have presets which enables then to be used right out of the box by even the newbies and when you feel confident with the presets then you start exploring the machines capabillities and unleash the untamed raw power :head: Hell with all the advise and all the forums a newbie will be up and running in no time :brows: It doesnt take rocket science to run one :nutty: Just another note I use fine gold 99.9% of the time where ever I go the only difference in the pudding is the way you set everything else up for any area-a few tweeks here and a few tweeks there and then your off and running and with a little luck you will find the much sought after prize GOLD Just my 2 centavos worth :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C... :ph34r2:

I went from a Gold Bug 2 and an X-terra 70 right to a GPX5000. I read that manual over and over until I knew it forward and backwards. I set my 5000 up as per the first page of the manual and found gold the first time out.

I contribute the small amount of gold that I have found so far to reading the manual over and over again, reading every post on Bills site about the GPX's, watching a few videos, talking to all of you in the field and my class with Rob down at his claim.

Since then I have ran the machine in all the different timings just to see how they work, experimented some and just need to learn a little more about tweaking to get the most out of it. Then actually get out more.

So for me my knowledge has come from several areas and I plan on listening and learning to all sources that are available.

Mike C ... no problem answering your questions. First let me state that I have been detecting since 1988 ... not for gold ... but for treasure of all types on beaches, parks, antique properties(we have a few 300+ year old properties back east where I came from) and various old gathering places per historic information. Those finds were all made with a VLF machine until 2003, I think, when I bought my first Minelab ... a GP3000 from AZO back in the days when even Bill S was part of AZO. I continued to hunt my NH areas with the GP3K and eventually my 4500 and most recently my 5000. In 2003 I started to come to Wickenberg AZ and later to Congress AZ for the month of February to hunt for gold in the LSD and Rich Hill areas primarily ... 3 days after taking my delivery from Chris G of my GP3K I found my first nugget ... as Bill S said when I told him right in his backyard at LSD. Within those first few days I had the privilege of having some extremely good detector operators teach me and shorten my learning curve considerably. Those early instructors in the first few days of my gold prospecting career back in 2003 included Chris Gholson, Steve Gholson(Chris' dad), Bob 'Montana" Dansie and Bill Southern. Last year, June 2011, I moved out here to pursue my prospecting full time in my retirement. Over the years I have found lots of gold ... my only regret so far is that I have never been able to join the 'Ouncer's Club' ... the largest nugget was just over a 1/2 ounce ... unfortunately currently in the possession of an old girlfriend ... my bad! I started teaching with and for AZO and Chris Gholson and Calvin 'Bunk' Bunker back in January of this year on a formal basis. I have done some instruction with Chris G in the fall of 2011 and also some for Terry Soloman with Arizona Gold Adventures in 2010 and 2011. All of my instruction/lessons with Chris G have been on Minelab products with a concentration on PI detectors. My intruction/lessons with Terry Soloman were on the Tesoro Lobo SuperTrac. Most of my instruction has been with prospectors new to a PI or who are stuck in the no-man's land of frustration with not finding gold but finding lots of small and very small targets. So my instruction has been basics such as what to look for when first arriving on a prospective sight and set-up of the PI for the ground being encountered. I think the biggest idea that most 'students' take away is learning to smooth the threshhold and listening to those tiny breaks in the threshhold that can and often do indicate a nugget or at least a target. Most have stated they thought that tiny break was merely EMI ... after the lesson they pay attention to it and are now finding gold. Our group provides a service to those who want it ... not everyone needs it ... and not everyone feels comfortable with the technology available in the GPX series of Minelabs to be able to go out and find gold without some instruction beyond the day in the field for new purchasers of ML products from AZO and also offered by Nuggetshooter's (Bill S) as a matter of fact. I work on a prospector's technique more than anything. Simple things like swing speed, coil contact or close level contact with the ground and ground balancing are the basics for you and me but not fully understood by many. My personal success in finding nuggets and my proven results from lessons learned by past students who have taken my advice to heart and good successful use of that advice is what makes it possible to be able to continue to teach. I have to admit however that I am learning new things all the time. Almost every time out in the field I learn something ... sometimes even from my students ... you probably do to ... that's what continues to make us better prospectors.

Hope this helps you and answers some if not all your questions. You now have in your possession ... and all the forum members who read my diatribe ...have the meat of what I teach ... hopefully some will get a hint from my answers to you as to what they may need to do to improve their own techniques. My desire in providing this service is to make new and average detector operators better prospectors so that they get more satisfaction from their own efforts, find a little more gold or even their first gold and to share my love of this hobby.

Happy Hunting to you ...

Mike F

I think, when I bought my first Minelab ... a GP3000 from AZO back in the days when even Bill S was part of AZO.

Hi Mike F, one small correction here... I was indeed selling AZO products for a spell but have always been and always will be Bill Southern at Nugget Shooter.

I was not part of AZO per say, we were just working together for a spell to both our benifit....

Cheers, Bill

Bill ... Correction noted ... I wasn't aware. I do know you were affiliated in some manner as you helped me out a couple times when Chris was off playing in Australia! Thank you for that and your continued friendship.

Mike F

No worries and I was indeed affiliated and even sold some detectors through AZO as well as a Nuggetfinder Dealer for a good while. Always was just me (Nugget Shooter) though and AZO was my supplier until Minelab offered me my own dealership many years back and that was a better choice for me.

I kept the Nuggetfinder line in stock for some time after and just loved those fiberglass coils, but now offer only Minelab Coils and Coiltek coils for the SD and GPX series detectors.

I was though never a official part of or employed by AZO just paid a commission for my sales, no big deal just was clarifying and most of those that been around a while know all this.

Cheers....

Thanks for the update Bill ... "and the rest of the story!" as the old saying goes! :) Mike F

Hi Mike well it appears like you had some good teachers-good luck with your beepin lessons :head: Mike C.... :ph34r2:

Thanks ... Coming from you and your experience I certainly appreciate it. :)

Mike F

Just a note :idea: , There is one time to use cancel mode when operating a mono coil ,When digging a large deep target { hopefully you will experiance this some time and it helps with large trash when cleaning up a area}The coil will overload making working in the right direction to retreve the target a real pain in thy ars,That is when you switch it to cancel mode , The coil will have to be within a few inches away from the target to send out a signal .This little trick has saved me time and energy a few times,There are a lot of posibilities with all the settings, I think the 5000 is a pretty easy detector to learn, Seems that most people do not understand how there machine works, That is why you need to read the manual to learn this, at that point you understand what settings it likes to be in. For that specific area, there is no just perect setting for all soils ,But The presets are set up as good as they can be set,The fact that you can make a marker of your own settings for your specific area, Is the cat,s meow,The 5000 is a lot eaiseir {at least for me} to operate than a VLF. Like a GM2 or GMT And a VLF has it,s time and place but the 5000 made that jump just alittle closer..

Hey grubby you are starting to look a lot like me :inocent: ,