Nugget Shooter Forums

I found a strong line of signal in some bedrock with my GB 2. Took 5 lb drilling hammer and chisel down to see what it was.

Seems to be in this material which runs through the host rock.

post-25522-0-29336300-1344285963_thumb.j

This slate is black on black and gets on you like graphite. Still have not located the signal. Took samples of what I was busting out and found real fine gold, but not enough to give me the signal I am getting. Also scanning what I bust out. No signal. Brought along my big nugget for a sample signal and at a distance of about 10" from the nugget and 6" above the rock, the signal sound the same.

So, what am I looking at here? Should I bring in bigger hammers and a bar?

Grain of the slate is vertical and then at a 45° section next to it.

Hard green rock surrounded.

I'll get a picture of it and post as well.

Rick

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that slate can carry gold, but it is real hot for VLF detectors. I have zero experience with it but always thought it was intrusive quartz in the slate.....

That's what I was thinking the Black is Slate.

I've never seen Slate in Cal or AZ.

Hell, it may even be Natral Graphite.

Lots of black slate in GeoJacks area

There's a story of the 'green slate' ledge located in Los Angeles County. Sorry that it's not in Arizona, but interesting to note the co-occurrence of slate and gold.

Story is from an interview of Ruth Hoag (whose father was a Civil War Vet):

"‘Now up in the canyon-nobody knows where, the mother lode of the San Gabriel Canyon lies. It is called the Green Slate Ledge. An old man of English stock found this ledge. His name was Hardy. If he ever recorded it, it was somewhere else. Once every year he would come up in the canyon. He camped at our ranch overnight and then went on up. Of course everybody stopped at our ranch. They picked-up the mail and passed on the news. Most of the time the road went through our place. He would take my mother’s brother, Billy, with him and they would go up in the canyon and camp. He would tell Billy never to follow him. Billy knew where he went. He’d been all over the canyon. Hardy would be gone for 2 weeks and come back with enough gold to keep him the rest of the year. On the way back out he would camp at our ranch. Again for a couple of days. We saw his gold. One time he brought out a nugget that was estimated at $300. Unfortunately, later on he was murdered in his cabin.’"

Note: There exists a green slate deposit in only 1 known spot in the above mentioned canyon. And just like the story, it's up high and dry. Slate can vary in color from black to green, but there's green colored slate at this spot.

There is plenty of the black layered slate all along the motherlode and all over kalif.. You bust it out by the layer and gold is in between, the like pages in a book. I have plenty of samples. You simply need bleach to clean that mess up as the black can easily be gold. Takes just a few minutes of soaking and a stir or two and all will be revealed-John

John,

Thanks, question is when in the bedrock I get a signal, out of the bedrock, no signal. Signal is very strong. I am using a 29.5 g nugget alongside the seam as a test signal and it is similar.

The material I brought up for testing I ran through my crusher, classified and blue bowl. Not very much there.

I'll run the small amount I brought up yesterday with bleach and see what's up.

I'm going down after lunch to take a picture of the rocks, maybe take a sledge / Splitting Maul with me.

I need to find the source of the signal in at least one location. Beeps up and down the rock for about 36" in several close locations. Switching down to my 6" coil as well. Had the 9.5" one on.

John, bleach no joy.

Source

"This slate is very dark gray. To the unaided eye it has a fine texture and a smooth and lustrous cleavage surface. It contains considerable carbonaceous or graphitic material. There is no effervescence in cold dilute hydrochloric acid. It is sonorous and has a high grade of fissility. "Under the microscope it shows a matrix of muscovite (sericite) with a brilliant aggregate polarization and a general evenness of texture, interrupted, however, by lenses up to about 8 mm. long by about one-half mm. wide, consisting chiefly of quartz fragments (surrounded by a rim of radiating secondary quartz) with muscovite scales, plates, and rhombs of carbonate, and rarely a grain of plagioclase. These lenses have their long axes parallel to the cleavage, but in sections parallel to it some of them have such irregular outline and are so large as to appear like minute beds. The matrix contains many quartz fragments, measuring up to 0.09 by 0.03 mm., much less carbonate than the lenses, muscovite scales, chlorite scales, a little pyrite in spherules and crystals, carbonaceous or graphitic matter, ruttile needles, a few grains of tourmaline, and rarely one of zircon."

What happens when you put the detector in discriminate?

I worked at a company in Saginaw Michigan for many years called "U.S. Graphite". Was a machinist there and seen the rough, raw form in bags straight from the mines in Mexico. Looks very similar and In raw form it feels like talcum powder.

Jack, I hit a small seam by your place and spent 8 hrs on it busting slate to get down to it, only to find it was a magnetic seam of pyrohotite or something like that. It signaled like money in the bank but was worthless.

Wes,

Interesting, I was leaning towards some type of pyrite as I can see small shiny particles in the layers. That and the signal is weird.

Video coming.

WOW what a bummer as no gold. That happens quite a bit on the NF American too dowriver from Cherokee Bar and about a mile up from roads in at Drivers flats too. Never know till ya look but 1 trick I learned was old school heel/toe--front /bacl end of detector usually shows it's junk as signal goes away--all units different but just take a nugget and some of that stuff and play with your unit to see ifn' it helps-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

John, took my 29.5 g (shown in avatar) with me to discriminate. Tone is same. Has me baffled as the material I pull out, as you can hear in the video, has no tone.

I guess I'll keep busting rock until I can put my hands on what is causing the tone.

Also, the material is non-magnetic.

Jack, That seam I found was like a dark looking pyrite and very thin, maybe 1/4 wide.

It took some seriouse effort to break out and I dint even notice the vien, till I cleaned the hole with water and studied the rock carefully. It blended in very good with the slate.

It was magnetic and gave a sweet strong signal on the pieces I broke out.

Wes, as you can see in the video, this seam is large and long. When I chisel out the dark slate I come up against the greener slate which is at a different angle. Must be a HUGH vein. :ROFL:

Back to bustn rock. More later.

You really want me to wade through all those forum post to find the answer? I think it would be easier to keep bust'n rocks.

Could you maybe link to the specific reference you want me to review?