Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GeoJack

Bedrock Question

Slate was source of signal. Crushed 5 lbs to 30, 50 and 100 mesh.

Got 1 oz jar of pyrite, non-magnetic and no signal. No magnetic material at all from the slate. ???

No gold???

Going to process the other seam materials to find the source, if any.

post-25522-0-08608900-1345300921_thumb.j

post-25522-0-90196400-1345308114_thumb.j

post-25522-0-86399900-1345318108_thumb.j

Well, I do feel a bit of the fool, as in fool's gold. Crushed, classified, poop tubed and blue bowled my way to a nice collection of pyrite. No gold. Still have not figured out what the signal was coming from as there is no magnetic material at all in this slate. Pyrite does not give off signal at all.

Going back to the material I had in the pan before, pyrite. I did get some very good training on chasing a dream of riches, like a lot of others before me.

Still have about 200 lbs of material to go through and check, yep, still going to check it all out.

Oh well, back to swinging for new targets. This spot should be good to check next spring for sniping.

So i'm confused. Geo does your gold pan picture have gold in it? or is that pyrite?

Bummer.

Rim

Yeah, I had never dealt with pyrite before and it panned out just like gold would so I go fooled. Still scratching my head on this one. Can't find the source of the original signal.

Did the test with a penny, pyrite is harder than the surface of the coin, gold is not. Rubbed it on the coin, Pyrite scratches.

Oh well, good exercise.

Pyrite crumbls and Gold Don't.

Tap Pyrite with a hammer and it will powder or Shatter. Gold Don't.

Never thought to check it, was going by the color and characteristics. Only when I scanned the glass bottle with the finds in it and didn't get a signal that I checked it.

Duh.

Hey Geo,

Did you try the heel and toe trick with your metal detector to see if the signal goes away when over whatever it is that triggers your gold bug to start beeping? Supposedly the beeper will not beep if using the heel or toe of the coil meaning whatever it is, it's not gold.

But I have never heard of a stringer of hot rocks before.

Rim

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! I just woke up and that's not what I meant to say. Supposedly if you keep your coil 6 inches above the surface, hot rock signals will go away much quicker than gold signals will. If you would like I can send you the link to this info in a PM. It's kinda over my head.

Rim

There is plenty of the black layered slate all along the motherlode and all over kalif.. You bust it out by the layer and gold is in between, the like pages in a book. I have plenty of samples. You simply need bleach to clean that mess up as the black can easily be gold. Takes just a few minutes of soaking and a stir or two and all will be revealed-John

what is the bleach for..does it turn the black to gold

what is the bleach for..does it turn the black to gold

No the bleach would remove the black mineral coating on the gold.

Mostly gold will not be affected/masked/coated by other minerals, but in some cases though rarely you can find gold that is thinly coated with manganese which will make the gold look like a black rock, so if you find a black rock that is unusually heavy for it's size it's worth checking to make sure that it is not gold. check by scratching at the coating with a knife or another rock.

Skip

Skip has it. I blasted a pocket of(why underlines??? wierd) black gold all over the place way back in the early 80's as I didn'y know either,but a old fella I met in Mariposa educated me but tooooooo late though. Sounds like a lesson you'll never forget-John

Skip has it. I blasted a pocket of(why underlines??? wierd) black gold all over the place way back in the early 80's as I didn'y know either,but a old fella I met in Mariposa educated me but tooooooo late though. Sounds like a lesson you'll never forget-John

Click the U tab at top did ya John? That will do it or undo my friend.... If the U button is shaded you get the underline effect.

Geo,

I can't seem to get your post out of my brain. Your picture with the gold yellowish stuff hanging onto the slate is what bugs me. Was the gold looking stuff what you seen after you completely busted your way thru the slate? Is it possible it could be gossan below the slate? Gold can usually be found below gossan I have read. Just saying...

Rim

post-26159-0-20061100-1348742855_thumb.j

Rim,

Gave up on the spot. Tone would disappear from the slate once I crushed it down. Only pyrite. I have a couple of jars of the stuff.

Well sorry that you didnt find out what the beep or no beep was. very interesting ,, hope you have better luck.. nice story though