Nugget Shooter Forums

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, got it. I thought you were saying this situation had been discussed on the other forum. I think Hoser John got it right. Currently running 50 mesh in the Blue Bowl and there she be. Concentrations were enough in the slate to get the signal, but once out it was dispersed enough to not sound off. Brought up a bag full of the digging and ran it through the rock crusher.

No 30 or 100 mesh, just the 50.

I think I solved the question.

Pyrite in slate. Used a Hilte reciprocal hammer drill and generator this morning to auger down further. Still no tone on material brought out but no change in the signal in the rock. Upon close examination I think I am seeing pyrite in the slate which would be causing the tone.

Bummer

post-25522-0-36036100-1344872072_thumb.j

post-25522-0-45770600-1344872086_thumb.j

John, took my 29.5 g (shown in avatar) with me to discriminate. Tone is same. Has me baffled as the material I pull out, as you can hear in the video, has no tone.

I guess I'll keep busting rock until I can put my hands on what is causing the tone.

Also, the material is non-magnetic.

Keep digging!! Did you have another detector...a GMT??? What does it say??? It will be great to find out what it is!!!

Jim

Taken with my digital microscope (10x to 150x)

Looks like pyrite right? Maybe a small splash of gold?

I've had some pyrite signals with my detector before and they are strong. Would this situation be doing the same thing and causing the good tone I get but when busted out and in a pile, no tone?

Still getting tone down in the cut, but not seeing anything to indicate what I might be digging into. No changes in the strata.

Hotter'n Hades out at over the century mark for the last week.

Slate in image is .080" thick.

post-25522-0-17678200-1344882509_thumb.j

post-25522-0-79662000-1344882541_thumb.j

post-25522-0-94128600-1344882558_thumb.j

post-25522-0-42834300-1344882576_thumb.j

Very good photos and I am very interested by this thread, wish I could see samples in person as well as the spot they come from! Here is an article dealing with this type deposit you may find interesting http://www.mii.org/Minerals/photoslate.html

Like the way you stuck with this to figure it out instead of just walking away...

Bill,

Thanks, I don't like to walk away without an answer, keeps me up at night.

Would be nice to get another detector on it to see if it gets the same results. Also strange that when I go down in the morning, there is seepage of moisture coming up through the seam of this dark slate, like there is a water source under it.

PM'd you the location and some other info about the area.

Would be happy to send you a small envelope of the material if you want.

Thanks Jack and I will do some research on slate type deposits in that area as I have lots of books piled up in the shop about different deposits in CA. This sort of stuff is just interesting as heck to this old prospector/rock hound!

If you could get on the spot with a gold bug 2 with 6" coil and scan it in discriminate you would know right away if it is gold or not. :twocents: ... Cheers, Unc

If you could get on the spot with a gold bug 2 with 6" coil and scan it in discriminate you would know right away if it is gold or not. :twocents: ... Cheers, Unc

Ron,

I think GeoJack is using a Gold Bug 2, not sure if he's using the 6" coil or set in discriminate mode, or not though.

Thanks Jack and I will do some research on slate type deposits in that area as I have lots of books piled up in the shop about different deposits in CA. This sort of stuff is just interesting as heck to this old prospector/rock hound!

There is even a black slate mine Right near Chili Bar on the South Fork of the American. Very close to where GeoJack's area is

J, That looks just like the "pyrite" seam I found by your house.Except that it was magnetic and the pieces still gave a good signal when broken up.

I've also seen some nice looking quartz veins that were conductive but just iron mineralization, so its hard to say when to dig and when to walk away.

I'm a diggin. Going back out this morning to see if I can hit bottom on this seam. Thanks all for the advise and tips. Stay tuned.

Wes, stuck a magnet to the sample I posted pics of, non-magnetic.

El, we have a old cut near this area with slate piles from it. Various names on it over the years.

I'll take a video of me working the Hilte this morning to show the two different slates next to each other and the different angle they are to each other.

Still interested in getting just one piece out that still gives a signal.

Ok, more pyrite in slate. Bigger pieces and large enough for the GB 2 to pick up a signal if there was one, which there is not.

Detector is still screaming.

I'll get some better pics.

post-25522-0-99358000-1344975246_thumb.j

post-25522-0-64305500-1344975301_thumb.j

Bam, got material out this morning with signal. Did the rookie thing and missed checking the sides as I went down. Signal was in the slate to the right in the images. Still don't know why as no apparent gold showing, just a very thin (razor thin) seam of something going through it. Processing and pics to follow.

Just from four or five pieces of slate, not bigger than my palm.

Gold is held in the slate. Not visible from the surface.

Bingo.

Back down to clear the seam out. Sweat equity.

post-25522-0-72291200-1345053634_thumb.j

post-25522-0-57992600-1345057504_thumb.jNICE! I will get some. Right now I am using a generator and a Hilti hammer drill with a chisel blade. The slate bust off pretty easy. Got to go bucket some tailings up now that I found the source.

se00532.jpg

Thanks all. I'll get some video of me busting the slate out this morning. It breaks out easily with the hammer drill so today will be just about getting to the ends of the seam and then start to haul the material out.

Please stand by.

Nice!!! BINGO is right! Now a mini ball mill....