Nugget Shooter Forums

Rattlesnakes

Gaius

CBS News reported tonight (with some nasty pictures) thanks to the drought conditions the rattlesnakes are out in force looking for water.

Be careful out there.

always be very careful....water or not.

Yeah, well just come to my yard, you'll see snake whether you think it or not!!! I've completely changed my attitude towards them since our dog and cat both got killed by them ... From now on I'll kill every rattler I see ... I'd love to be dispassionate about this, and it's a complete reversal from the way I've felt for decades, but "see snake, kill snake (rattlers anyhow)" is the way I'm going to deal with it from now on ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 2

Just from my experience-You think SNAKE-You see SNAKE :nutty: Mike C... :ph34r2:

Yep thats always been my theory.

This isn't always the case. Neither I, nor my dogs were "thinking snake," when one of my dogs must have stuck her nose under a rock or in a hole. I never saw the snake. But I did see 2 puncture marks in her nose that were rapidly swelling. I knew immediately that she'd been nailed by a snake. She never made a sound when bitten, either!

When I got her go the Vet, they said her blood work indicated either a prarie rattler or a diamond back. She got the anti-venim and is now fine. I've been hiking the hills for many years and generally know how to avoid snakes (keep my hands out of places I can't see, and careful when climbing over rocks or items with shady spots under them), but it can happen without warning and is always best not to think of oneself as immune.

And I do think snakes are more aggressive during drought times. We've had more rain this year, and fewer problems. The only dead snake I've seen on the road was a bullsnake - and we like having those around. They keep away the rattlers.

I've been hiking remote areas for decades, and used to see more snakes sunning on the rocks while I was on horseback (since they don't move for the sound(s) of horses). Last year was the first time I've had any experience with an actual bite.

Just be aware that they are there, and take care. :pop:

Not sure what the deal is here.

All around my property Rattle Snakes show up daily.

I get 5 ft Gopher Snakes here at the Water Pan I leave dripping for the Quail all the time.

Never seen a Rattler here.

I use to think it was the cats I had but Coyotes got the last of them years ago.

Had Chickens but there gone now too.

Stupid err Not So Stupid Coyotes Love Chicken.

Hey Hoser, you are right about the snakes this year. Normally I will see one or two over a summer and that is it. Every six or seven years we seem to get a banner year for rattlesnakes. This is one of those years. I have already seen probably forty or so and killed at least a dozen. The ones I killed were in areas frequented by kids or pets. The rest were just too close for comfort as I was crawling through the manzanita. The one in the picture was on a rock about waist high as I was walking up the draw, almost got me. Had plenty of buttons but did not decide to rattle till I was one lunge away. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

The drought is so bad here in the Mojave that the rabbits have stripped the bark off just about everything, including creosote. I leave hay and water for them so that they might leave my veggies alone, but this is only partially successful. Problem is, snakes of all sorts have invaded because of the water, and my garden. Even with bulls and kings in abundance, buzztails have been a real issue. Gotta take care that the green string beans I'm harvesting ain't diamondbacked. HH Jim

Well I hope them suckerbusters ain't migrating eastward. Ya'll can have'm.... :cool:

Rim

my welcome to arizona.... ten days later . was just a baby

IMG_20120508_154150.jpg

my welcome to arizona.... ten days later . was just a baby

IMG_20120508_154150.jpg

wOW! yOU ALREADY GOT BIT? I may need to find a more snake friendly state to prospect in....sheeeeshhhhh! Hope you ok bro.

Rim

yes , and thanks Rim. It didn't even hurt as bad as some of the cactus bites around here and thats what i thought it was. It was funny standing up and it was just hanging there. When i plucked it out and put it down it just slithered away . Hope it learns some manners... silly snaker. been out 6 days a week every week since and haven't seen another... or a scorpion either. i worry more about the mexican jumping beans than the animals...

No Dave ,

I was kneeling down digging a target. The hole was deeper than my elbows and was still digging when it chomped. Not sure but i think i put my knee on its tail ... too much brush to know for sure.

One of my scarier moments came on a late spring morning crawling on hands and knees up a steep and narrow wash in, of all places, Rattlesnake Canyon. It really puckered my nether parts to come eyeball to eyeball with a coiled Red Diamond maybe 18 inches from my face. Thankfully there still were patches of snow in shadowed spots and the early morning chill had not yet quite lifted. So the snake remained torpidly coiled, never rattled and the only movement was its black tongue flicking at my nose. I've never killed a rattler -- not even the one that bit me years ago -- and usually I ease around them. But I wanted to know if a den was close by, it being the time of year the snakes begin reemerging. So I called over to my good friend, Driller Dave, to come watch as I tossed a rock a foot from the serpent to see which direction it would crawl. Unfortunately for the snake the rock I threw jostled and tipped over another sharp rock beside which Joe No Shoulders was lurking. It immediately struck in my direction but by now I already had eased back out of range and climbed up to the edge of the wash. Then we noticed its guts were hanging out as it crawled away. I felt really bad about this outcome. It was totally unintended.

Hate them things. Lived in this house for 8 years and never seen any then bam last year I killed 4 in the yard. Biggest one was on our back patio at night. The wife let the dogs out and stepped right over it and seen it when she turned to close the door. She held the dogs back and whacked it with a hoe which just bounced off of it. When it made a run for it wife and dogs ran in the house. She handed me my gun and flashlight I found it and finished it off. Big SOB 7 rattles.

Appears I am the odd man out here as even after being bitten in 1982 (my stupidity) I still like and respect these critters and actually like them. We catch 3 or more a year on our property and I actually waste the gas to relocate them far away.... :nutty:

Howdy Bill. Did that big old brown dog you use to have get bit once by a rattler, or was it desert fever it got. It was a long long time ago. Hope things are going good your way my friend. Too hot out there for me!!

Gary S

PS. Remember that white puppy I had at Stanton that stole that elk burger???

Hi Ya Gary! How ya been? Yes that dog was DJ and he was bitten twice as a pup then he got the darn valley fever on top of it when he was about 3. Sure miss that boy as he was a great hunting partner and best friend!

You gonna show up for this years outing? Would be good to see ya again and yes I remember that pup do you still have him?

I understand Bill's point... But my yard is mine and I don't treat them any differently than I would a human trespasser. Lol. Never encountered one in the wild close up (yet). I guess it would all depend on it's attitude...