Nugget Shooter Forums

Road closed to Nininger meteorite museum

It was reported that the access road to the Nininger Meteorite Museum ruins had been blocked with a locked gate and posted "No Trespassing".

Bob Verish and I traveled to the site,after leaving Holbrook to assess the damage. The attached before and after photos say it all. These are sad times.

Richard

post-3321-0-42970500-1343177716_thumb.jppost-3321-0-75359100-1343177838_thumb.jppost-3321-0-67827000-1343178477_thumb.jppost-3321-0-83170200-1343178783_thumb.jp

Yes, sad times. I knew this was coming. From the amount of souvenir hunters as well as what I've seen posted for sale, it was only a matter of time. And I have to admit that I feel responsible. Many years ago, I was given a small piece from the Nininger Museum.

And I was wondering if everyone took a small piece, what would be left? I feel like taking my piece back and putting it where it belongs.

Is this the main road up to the crater or a side road? Cheers, Unc

Where, and when will the NEXT gate be installed by the "Government?" :nutty:

Hi Terry!

This is not the doing of the government. I believe that gate was put up by the Bar T Bar Co LTD in an effort to preserve the museum. This is private property to the best of my knowledge and the museum has been pillaged and has graffiti on it. What is really a true shame is that the Bar T Bar has made no effort in restoring it, if that is even possible. They certainly have had much time to do such a project. I have never seen enough cattle on that ranch to make it a big operations profitable ranch. It's probably a holding by some wealthy folk used as some sort of tax right off.

I know folks that have a place near me that sold about a million acres a while back up in that area somewhere shortly after Tom Chauncey died. I think that might have been the 26 Bar Ranch tho.

Just saying!

Jim

It's a shame that all that property around the crater became "private" before Arizona was even a state. Imagine if they opened up all that land for responsible meteorite collecting, or had a way to let people explore the old museum without destroying it.

Better stop by the Two Guns ghost town before they fence that off "for your safety", too! I did a bit of exploring on my way home from Holbrook.

the old zoo

Holbrook2012July21--030.jpg

original Route 66 crossing of Canyon Diablo

Holbrook2012July21--031.jpg

Hi Terry!

This is not the doing of the government. I believe that gate was put up by the Bar T Bar Co LTD in an effort to preserve the museum. This is private property to the best of my knowledge and the museum has been pillaged and has graffiti on it. What is really a true shame is that the Bar T Bar has made no effort in restoring it, if that is even possible. They certainly have had much time to do such a project. I have never seen enough cattle on that ranch to make it a big operations profitable ranch. It's probably a holding by some wealthy folk used as some sort of tax right off.

I know folks that have a place near me that sold about a million acres a while back up in that area somewhere shortly after Tom Chauncey died. I think that might have been the 26 Bar Ranch tho.

Just saying!

Jim

Thanks for the education Jim! :thumbsupanim

If you go to the Coconino County Assessors page, you can see a map of owned properties. http://www.coconino....v/parcelviewer/ All of that land around there is owned by the Bar T Bar Ranch. On that map, it does not show any delineation on the ownership of "Old Route 66". This is true with I-40 as well. Interesting. I know these properties....large ranch parcels....were made back around President Grant's days...prior to any hwy. They were actually measured on how long it took a man to ride a horse. When I had property near Ashfork, we obtained a copy of the original deed where it was signed by Grant and described as 2 days horse ride West 3 days ride North, etc. Not knowing what agreements were made back when the highways were built, the right of ways, were obviously acquired. These parts of Old 66 may have reverted back to the owner of the land. This is not the only place where 66 was abandoned. In AZ, there are many areas where 66 is blocked off. I 'think' most of it is, where I-40 is not on top of it. The stretch of 66 between Kingman and Ashfork, I 'think' is the longest part of 66 that is maintained and usable in Arizona. And it's a great drive. I'll be up on that Hwy near the Grand Canyon Caverns cleaning up some trash on a small ranch property this weekend!

Jim

Jim