Nugget Shooter Forums

Anyone near Wickenburg work on RV's?

I've got a nice little 23' Winnebago that's in great shape except for the hot water heater ... Something in the electronic part doesn't work ... Can anybody offer any tips for someone to figure out and fix the problem? ... Thanks ... Cheers, Unc

Ron have you checked out the switch itself ?

Also circuit breaker check it and the sacrificial anodes disintegrate quickly and need replacing and flushing the tank out to remove debris buildup while yer at it.

Ron,

If it's a electric hot water heater, there is usually a reset button under one of the heating element covers. Your's might have only one element. Push the reset button and see if that works. If that's not the problem, I would try replacing the element. They are cheap and easy to replace. Also when you have electricity turned off, may as well check the wires to make sure all of the connections are tightened down.

If it's a gas water heater, gas valves go bad. You'll probably want a service tech to look at it.

Rim

Thanks Guys... I'll try all that ... I think it's dual--gas or electric ... Does anyone know of anyone reliable to go through it in the Wickenburg/Surprise area? Cheers, Unc

Uncle Ron,

Is it a ATWOOD or a SURBURBAN water heater? I will try to get to my service manuals (they are in the back of my storage unit). I was a certified RV Technician trained at Camper World RV Institute, I work at several dealerships here in the valley but got fed up with the way the dealership were handling customers... so I went back into CNC machining. If you don't have any luck fixing it yourself I will be glad to swing by sometime.

More Au to you, Robert

Yo Robert ... I'll go out and get the specs and see if I can provide the info you need ... I'd be happy to pay you to go through it as well as a general over all inspection and fix or recommendation of what needs to be done ... Are you nearby? Cheers, Unc

Yup ... I would agree ... Someone somewhere has the part, the information or the expertise that you need and is willing to share it. Putting aside all our collective political-economical-societal-social differences when one of our prospecting brother or sister members needs help someone rises to the occasion! :thumbsupanim

Mike F

Uncle Ron,

I lived in Mesa and I am still working a fourty hr week. If I can get to my manuals on Sat I will try to swing by on Sunday if you are free.

More Au to you, Robert

Yo Robert... That would be awesome if you have the time ... It's a long drive from Mesa to Wickenburg ... Maybe I can give you some better info that would help identify the problem ... I'll do that on Thursday (tomorrow) ... One question ... If the sacrificial rod is gone, would that stop it from working? ... When I first bought the MH I drained the hot water tank and it stunk something horrible ... Someone told me the manganeze rod would cause that, but I don't know if a destroyed rod would stop it from working ... Cheers, Unc

Uncle Ron,

I've worked on a few RV hot water heaters and without being in front of it it's tough to diagnose but the

first question is do you have the kind where you light a pilot?______

If not the on off switch inside be sure it has 12 volts going to it?_______

If it does it will only try to light it three times then go into default and if it wasn't used in a long time it takes quite a while before the propane gets back there.

When you turn it on listen for the clicky sound of the piezo lighter?_______

sometimes the tube where the gas flows thru to the flame gets a spider or moth nest in there and simply cleaning it out will get it working again._____

and the anode rod will not cause it not too start and i empty my hw tank after every trip to get rid of that nasty rotten egg smell.

One other thing.....(This is for Suburban Hot Water Heaters) If your trying to run it on ac shore power there is a switch inside the hot water cabinet outside that has to be turned to the "On" position which would be in the down position which is backwards from the house stuff...... same holds true with the inside dc switch "down" is the "On" position

Also be sure that all plugs to the HWH are hooked and didn't accidently get knocked off which happens quite often.

Hope some of this helps

Joe