Nugget Shooter Forums

Holbrook 100Th Anniversary

A group of dedicated meteorite hunts join up in the field for the 100th anniversary of the Holbrook fall. The fall occurred on July 19,1912 at approx. 7:15 P.M.; a group of 16 meteorite hunters stood for a photo in the strewn-field at the moment of the event 100 years later. In the middle of the group photo is noted Gold Basin hunter Twink ( sorry if the spelling is wrong). Also is a photo of noted meteorite hunter Dolan Dave with his first Holbrook find a 9.5g beauty. I was lucky enough to make a small 1.3g Holbrook meteorite find, along with the infamous Holbrook marble (glass ball), which Ruben Garcia has a great story about it . Many others made some nice finds including Jim and Wendy Wooddell, Ben and Eric Fisler, Jason Snyder,and Bob Verish, but I will let them post their stories. Anyway, hope you like the photos and sorry if you didn't make it out.

Richard

post-3321-0-19451100-1343065909_thumb.jp post-3321-0-18882100-1343066289_thumb.jp post-3321-0-88735500-1343066404_thumb.jp post-3321-0-02751600-1343066359_thumb.jp post-3321-0-95238500-1343066644_thumb.jp post-3321-0-37889000-1343066548_thumb.jp

Another great time at Holbrook! I missed the actual anniversary (Thursday), but got in the day after (Friday). After an unintentional 3 hour nap I met up with everyone who was still by the pool. Beers were consumed and meteorites were discussed. The next morning I was the first one in the field and got to watch the sun rise over the strewn field. My goal for this year was to double my finds from last year. Since I only found one 0.5g stone the year before I felt it was a realistic goal.

My first find came late in the morning, and at 2.7g I was ecstatic! I managed to more than accomplish my goal and it wasn't even lunch yet. I was so excited I picked it up before I got an in-situ photo, so I put it down next to its hole and snapped one. Notice the small piece of fusion crust immediately adjacent. It fits onto the bottom of the stone.

Holbrook2012July21--006.jpg

I spent a few more hours in the field, then headed back to the hotel for a lunch break. I recharged my batteries and then returned to continue the hunt. I came across one of the Holbrook marbles, too, and knew that was a good omen.

Holbrook2012July21--009.jpg

A good omen indeed, as soon after the finds started piling up. Find #2, a 1.8g two-piece puzzle that makes a complete stone.

Holbrook2012July21--010.jpg

Find #3, 1.6g

Holbrook2012July21--013.jpg

Find #8, 0.6g

Holbrook2012July21--027.jpg

Congrats to everyone who made finds, and even those who didn't it was still a great event to attend. Hope to see you all out there again next year!

Hey Richard, and Mike, nice pics... Holbrook sure beat the heat of 110 in Vegas. Richard had the pointy finger this time, and directed me to a nice 9.8 gram piece. It was great to put faces to names of some I have not met before, and to see everyone else again. I had a great time, and congradulations to everyone who found meteorites, seems almost everyone found one.

See you in the field,

Dave.

post-1046-0-85653800-1343094144_thumb.jp

Thank you all for posting the great photos. I enjoyed the outing along with the five friends/relatives who wanted to be there with me. We enjoyed seeing all of you. I find myself craving chocolate cake at 7 PM.

Twink

Great finds...So what's the story behind the glass balls / marbles???

Some of us have lost our marbles. We're just trying to pick them all back up!!! :hahaha:

Jim

Aloha guys,

Looks like you all had a great time out at Holbrook. wish I could have made it but at this point I have made the decision that my health comes first. BUT saying that I am really kicking it up a notch on my physical therapy sessions so I can make the October hunt out at Franconia.

Aloha and stay well everyone.

Stan aka Kaimi

Thanks to Twink and all for getting me out on my first meteorite only hunt. I was driving up just as the picture was being taken at 7:15. While I didn't spot any large meteorites this trip (I may have some tiny ones) I now have gained some bit of an eye for them. I'm a beach comber trying to see things in the desert! haha

I did find one of the glass marbles. Big Jeff asked about the story behind them and I'm not certain what Richard meant but he told me that this was just 'raw glass' that later would be melted again. He may have more to it than this.

I hope to see some of you again in October or before. Just send me a message and we can go hunting!

Mitchel

The Holbrook Centennial Hunt was certainly the place to be. I saw participants pull finds from a variety of locations over a three day period. Congratulations to everyone. Saturday night, Twink Monrad provided a celebratory cake for the occaision that really hit the spot

.http://bl169w.blu169.mail.live.com/mail/#

Thanks to Twink and all for getting me out on my first meteorite only hunt. I was driving up just as the picture was being taken at 7:15. While I didn't spot any large meteorites this trip (I may have some tiny ones) I now have gained some bit of an eye for them. I'm a beach comber trying to see things in the desert! haha

I did find one of the glass marbles. Big Jeff asked about the story behind them and I'm not certain what Richard meant but he told me that this was just 'raw glass' that later would be melted again. He may have more to it than this.

I hope to see some of you again in October or before. Just send me a message and we can go hunting!

Mitchel

Hi Mitchel!

The glass balls came from glass cullets which were melted and formed into these balls. They were often transported in open top hoppers and gons. When the trains bumped, etc., these things would fall out. Accidents and hopper doors opening may account for area that had a bunch of them. There is one story on the internet where some kids found a lot of them and took them to a glass recycler and made $30!

Jim