Nugget Shooter Forums

A box of finds! The bug is worse than ever!

Hi all!

Thursday, the 100th Anniversary of the Holbrook fall, Wendy and I found 9 nice little Holbrooks on the North side of the tracks. Others scored as well that day but the total count of anniversary meteorites is low...something less than twenty total.

Friday night at the pool turned into a show and tell. We were looking at meteorites from the days hunt and previous hunts.

One feller, darned if I can recall his name, brought a box of beach finds to show. WOW! :thumbsupanim He is here on Nuggetshooters, so maybe he'll remind me of his name and post some find pictures!

He had gold and silver jewelry, watches, coins and other stuff found on the beaches! Just an amazing collection over a relatively short period of time! Of course, I tried to buy all his gold and silver, but he just wasn't selling!

Now the bug to put more time into hunting for relics, coins and jewelry is worse than ever before! Twink was there with a friend and we all talked about this...actually more than we talked about meteorites! So now I am going to finally go out and start looking at low end coin detectors and play a bit in the parks and beaches along the Colorado river. There has got to be stuff there if I just look! :brows:

Jim

Tesoro Cibola, Vaquero, or Golden Umax. I found this nine-grammer a couple of days ago on a hunt with a Cibola, at a school ballfield at 6". I also swing the Lobo Super Traq with great success. It will find gold chains PI and BBS machines walk over. Good Luck!

post-22152-0-18248200-1343055620_thumb.j post-22152-0-69220700-1343055632_thumb.j

post-22152-0-07775400-1343055656_thumb.j post-22152-0-26460200-1343055678_thumb.j

Jim ,

Tesoro makes several good quality general purpose detectors at very attractive prices...Bill can help you with that. I carry my fishers F4 in the trunk of the car for spur of the moment detector stops. I have foung barber dimes at ten inches , so it was a bargain at 200 bucks. pinpoint mode sucks though . Tesoro just might be your best bet ... but i love my F4

DesertSunBurn,

The gentlemans name is Mitchel, Jason traded some meteorites for some nice rings he found on the beach.

I purchased a Garrett AT Pro a few months ago, and use it for my coin, jewelry hunting, its also waterproof. Been mostly using it in old mining districts, finding old relics.

This link will get you in the mood !!!!

http://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-talk/basic-ctx-3030-shallow-water-hunting-tips

Dave.

G'Day Jim

I've been into prospecting for many years, meteorites as well. But there's nothing like just burning some fun time just hunting with a detector. Sure you pick up a lot of crap, but hell I've found some neat stuf on the beach as well as the parks and sidewalks. It really is an extension when it gets too hot or you just want to chill.

Being familiar with Australia but unfamiliar with LA when I came here, I ended up getting a book called The Urban Treasure Hunter by Michael Chaplan

Go Golden is your best bet as NOTCH disc rocks--accept or reject mode makes finding specific things extremely easy. Lambordini key got me $100 in less than 5 minutes-Just tune to accept only and good to go / Notch out them nasty poptops from bygone eras and silver and gold still yours. I still use my righteous FIRST edition Golden Sabre(old school is right) and Tesoro completely rebuilt it-new coils too- after 25 years for FREE. Rusty rocks at Tesoro. I sold many MANY 1,000s in the day and wrote a review or two also. tons a au 2 u 2-John

I have some good coin beepers from Minelab and Tesoro in the low end price range you may want to look at before you go the Walmart route :D

Hi Bill!

I would be interested in pricing on 2 each Tesoro's you would recommend. Wendy will have to have one too!!! Can you shoot me an email jimwooddell at gmail dot com ?

I suppose what I need that i do not have now is better discrimination features. And I am not opposed to used equipment.

Jim

Tesoro Cibola, Vaquero, or Golden Umax. I found this nine-grammer a couple of days ago on a hunt with a Cibola, at a school ballfield at 6". I also swing the Lobo Super Traq with great success. It will find gold chains PI and BBS machines walk over. Good Luck!

post-22152-0-18248200-1343055620_thumb.j post-22152-0-69220700-1343055632_thumb.j

post-22152-0-07775400-1343055656_thumb.j post-22152-0-26460200-1343055678_thumb.j

Terry,

Sweet find! :thumbsupanim Hey if you ever want to sell any of it, I am buying! Gold or silver!

Jim

JIM, JIM, You have one of the best for the purpose, your bug,

Hi Frank! Yeah, I know....but I get sooooo tired of digging iron! I know one of the rules is "if it beeps, dig it". But still....just saying! I do use the bug to do this at a local park and have recovered everything is beeps on. 8" doesn't seem to be an issue! I've never liked the iron discriminate on the unit as it changes response to everything....one of the major failings of the design...or my ear.

Hope to see you soon!

Jim

Hi Bill!

I would be interested in pricing on 2 each Tesoro's you would recommend. Wendy will have to have one too!!! Can you shoot me an email jimwooddell at gmail dot com ?

I suppose what I need that i do not have now is better discrimination features. And I am not opposed to used equipment.

Jim

Will do Jim.... I will also add the forum member in store coupon for some extra savings.... Bill

DesertSunBurn,

The gentlemans name is Mitchel, Jason traded some meteorites for some nice rings he found on the beach.

I purchased a Garrett AT Pro a few months ago, and use it for my coin, jewelry hunting, its also waterproof. Been mostly using it in old mining districts, finding old relics.

This link will get you in the mood !!!!

http://www.minelab.c...er-hunting-tips

Dave.

Darn! Those are some sweet finds! Nice link Dave! SFGRE3tr ergehhh I ldfgg Just ergrtiwfge messed up afgfegfrfu my keyboard dfefgnb by qefq;erffwerf salivating all sfgerierie%$22 over it!!

Jim

• 5 months later...

Hi all!

I am revisiting this subject for a bit more information. I picked up a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II at a garage sale for a price I could not pass up and have taken this thing out about 6 times and it's actually a good little coin machine. No problem finding coin targets at all and it correctly ID's them 99% of the time.

That said, the thing is just terrible discriminating between jewely and iron and tabs. In fact, you can not hear any difference and there appears to be no way to discriminate jewelry adaquately.

After looking around for a long period of time, I am starting to think that there is no low end detector out there for coins AND jewelry. There are some for coins OR jewelry and I suppose now, this is the delima. Any ideas? I am still at the point of digging everything....which is what I am trying to get away from. If I dicriminate iron, tabs, etc., I am also discriminating jewelry. Based on the make up, I may have to just be happy with digging everything, unless I want to just hunt coins. I know others are having the same issue...maybe there is no answer but dig them all????

Descrimination is never perfect, Jim...If you descriminate out aluminum you will NOT find much gold jewellery...you will find silver...if you descriminate iron you will get most jewellery but sometimes the thin gold and iron are the same to the detector...

it is an issue of cost vrs benefit...dig everything, get tired, sore and bored and hope to get a reward...or find a happy medium for yourself.

If all you want is copper and real silver coins you can get rid of aluminum...you might be able to do what you want with the new CTX or maybe the former top machines like the explorer.

fred

Being familiar with Australia but unfamiliar with LA when I came here, I ended up getting a book called The Urban Treasure Hunter by Michael Chaplan

Great book Johnno!! I still have my copy, I think it might have been the first publication I ever bought when I got into detecting! WOW, when you posted that it brought back memories of working alot of parks. Makes me want to write a book of my own someday!! :112:

post-1755-0-56381100-1356509198_thumb.jp

Edited by Bucket

Jim,

I don't remember ever reading this forum post after going to Holbrook with you. Everything about meteorite hunting and all the people were new to me. I showed up there because of Twink but since that time I have posted just about all of my daily finds on another site that had a beach section. At that time of Holbrook I was using my 5000 on the beach but since then I got a good deal on a used Explorer SE Pro and it has really helped my finds. I can get that coil wet. I never knew how much I was missing trying to keep dry! My first beach detector was a White's Coinmaster DI 6000 back in the 80s. It still works but the Explorer has paid for itself in the first couple of months I had it.

Fred is right about discrimination. I sometimes hear a signal that I don't want to dig like a penny or bobby pin but they sometimes are something else. That being said if you have limited time and you want to cherry pick then I can do that too. Sometimes a nice long walk with only a few targets is better than a detailed grid for everything.

Mitchel