Nugget Shooter Forums

Hello I found a very large boulder of sylvanite . I havent weighed it yet but the thing is very heavy , im still working on getting it on my truck . just wonder how hard it would be to turn it into gold . Could take the silver and the gold out . thanks

If you really have sylvanite, it would be worth much more as mineral specimens. Break the boulder apart with a hammer and sell them individually on ebay. You should even be able to get much more then gold and silver spot selling to a mineral dealer.

Steve

Really . I did take a hammer ,then a big hammer . A chisel and about everything short of a power impack hammer . I was only able to bust off some small peices from the outer Skelton . The funny thing is after all that ,these smaller pieces are still really hard . It's so hard it's britle . And breaks up easy . I took these smaller pieces and put them in my rock grinder and it turned into this purple powder and ground up real nice . I tried to pan out the heavys but it's all heavy so it didn't work at all .

Are you sure you have sylvanite? I just don't think it would turn into a purple powder if you ground it. Maybe if you had some sylvanite in some type of purple host rock but I can't even picture that..

Have you done a streak test on it?

http://www.minerals.net/resource/property/Streak.aspx

http://www.rockhounds.com/rockshop/streak1.html

Steve

The rock is the most hardest rock I have found to date it is also the heaviest for its size . Haven't taken any pic of it yet because I might do something like post them . I will once it's in my truck just dont wish to give away it's location . I do have pic of the chips off the Skelton I will post later . The rock has fluorite In it because my uv light makes it glow . The boulder does have this dark red hydrothermal vein down threw the center that has all kinds of stuff going on in it . I can see some wire gold and small quartz looking stones ect . I've done a lot of research and every single thing points this thing came down 13.000 years ago from Canada . They do mine this same stuff to the north of me and looks exactly the same other than this red looking vein down the center . If this rock was cut cross ways it would look incredible that's forsure

Hey pesky ,

It's a little tough identifying a rock without a pic... It's like asking what color my shirt is and telling you it might be made of cotton... You are pretty safe in posting a couple pics if you dont include any geographical info with it. Michigan is not exactly a postage stamp so finding one rock would be quite a task. It would be so cool if it was sylvanite , and Steve is right . It would be worth more being sold as specimens then the value of it refined. at least double in value. post a pic when you feel safe. Could be granite too.

I'm trying to roast some of it right now . Just got it started . Added a old brown bottle , flour . Sodium carbonate and silica sand . The pic I have are just chip from the outer shell like thing they really don't do it justice . The big piece thats still out there is something I can look at all day .

The pieces in the pan looks a lot like my flint or chert rock. Which is like 6 1/2 to 7 on hardness scale.

Rim

post-26159-0-57300300-1342799219_thumb.j

We also found this giant piece of this dark green rock with a white quartz vein about 2" wide not to fare away . The vein has black as well , very cool looking . Getting a plan of attack on that one as well . Thinking I might need to mount some kind of a lift on the truck .

Can you see that red powder that should hematite and should be loaded with gold . The purple is flourite because under the uv it glows pink . Them black mineral cristles I think should be sylvanite,. What ever it is it has a lot going on . I can see some wire gold in the vein as well

Hey Pesky ,

you sound alot like me when i was younger , but don't start dragging home rocks because they look like something somebody else had that held a precious mineral. I think your rock is leaverite. And thanks for posting some pics for us to see. I hope it works out good for you....If you really want those rocks you will find a way to get them home...

These rocks all came down from Canada no one has ever seen or held these rocks before they just pop out of ground like mushrooms every winter from the frost . The Canadian mountains where all ground down and deleaverd to me . It's hard to say what's around . Very few rocks look the same around here . Not trying to make money looking to save money because it's hard to spend money rolling boulders back to the house

Justin Beiber came down from canada. We do know that. We dont know that for sure about your rocks , and if it did come down from canada doesn't mean a thing.... unless it's got a case of Molsons with it.