Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Bug Pro Killed My Blackberry?????

SLNugget

I think I must have gotten the coil on the GBP too close to my Blackberry in my shirt pocket while I was checking some rocks in a dry creek bed on Saturday. This ever happen to anyone else? Fortunately, I was due a new phone and signed up for a new plan that is 30 bucks a month less expensive. Almost said cheaper, but there is nothing cheap about a $90 phone bill every month.

Well I hate to disagree with you Adam but I do. My Blackberry acted strange one other time I got it close to the coil of the Gold Bug. I had to remove the battery and do a complete system reset a couple of times to get it operational again. This time that would not work at all. I will not forget to leave the phone in the car when I am swinging or using the GB in the future. I may be wrong about this but it will take a lot to convince me of it.

I am with Adam on this and your coil not able to damage phones etc. The detector puts out a RF (radio frequency) signal, although this signal does have a magnetic component it is not strong enough to damage anything in cell phone.

If the Gold Bug was that powerful you could lay it next to your wife's pillow at night. It would erase her memory of all those things from the past.

• Like 1

Were both still breathing Gary. So were doing good. At the last gold show I bought some big super magnets. Put them in my wife's pillow. Did not work. Only attracted some black sand from my ears from drywashing. Thus I was busted when she found it on the pillow.

• Like 1

I did that with my two way radio's, Put one under the matress, and waited until she took her sleeping pills, and fell asleep, then I started talking really slow and low. Next morning she told me about this dream she had, where we moved to AZ. Now She is think it might be ok to do that. Grubstake

• Like 1

If the amperage of the RF siganal the coil generates is great enough on a given frequency, there is the potential to screw up the RX circuit on the phone.

If the BB had the push to talk (walkie talkie) feature this is more likely as there is a version of that feature which uses the 800mHz band and another which used the 6.25kHz band.

Not for sure, but certainly not out of the realm of possible with the continuous send characteristic of VLF machines and the fact that RIM's devices are pretty shoddy for protection.

As for erasing her memory, I prefer a degaussing coil.

It's also entertaining to turn one on outside a neighbor's house but near where the TV is when they're watching the game. doesn't work on new-fangled LCD, Plasma, etc. though

If the amperage of the RF siganal the coil generates is great enough on a given frequency, there is the potential to screw up the RX circuit on the phone.

If the BB had the push to talk (walkie talkie) feature this is more likely as there is a version of that feature which uses the 800mHz band and another which used the 6.25kHz band.

Not for sure, but certainly not out of the realm of possible with the continuous send characteristic of VLF machines and the fact that RIM's devices are pretty shoddy for protection.

Hey now don't talk about RIM's devices.... :hahaha:

I don't completely understand the tech stuff, but, I do know I never had any probs with the phone until it was near the coil of the GB. And both times I had it in my shirt pocket and was using the GB to bench check ore samples from a tailings pile it screwed up. I am a dummy for doing it the second time and killing the phone. Slow learner, I guess. Thanks for the info Glenn.

SLN,

Did you try removing the battery for a few minutes then try the phone again?

Rim

SLN,

Did you try removing the battery for a few minutes then try the phone again?

Rim

Yep, that worked the first time it happened, but not the second time. I knew better, but forgot the phone was in my shirt pocket. I will be sure to leave the new phone in the car this weekend when I go to look through some more tailings and old dump piles.

DID YOU TRY A NEW BATTERY ???

OR IF YOU HAVE A TESTER CHECK THE VOLTAGE OF THE EXISTING BATTERY TO SEE IF ITS SHOT.

Battery checked OK. The phone will sometimes power up, but nothing works, keypad nor scroll pad. I can only get it to power up by removing and replacing the battery. It powers up for a couple of minutes and then goes blank. It was less expensive to get the new phone than try to have the Blackberry fixed. Typical of most products now a days in my experience. If I can find someone who works on these things I would like to find out for sure what happened to it.

You've got me really curious about this.

Many years I have hunted with a VLF and never had any problems like you.

SO RIDDLE ME THIS,...... HAVE YOU CALLED INTO THE MANUFACTURER AND INQUIRED ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF THIS HAPPENING ???

PREFERABLY SPEAKING TO A TECHNICIAN WHILE CALLING THE MANUF.

TRY IT.

SLNugget, I have my cell phone, a Droid, with me all the time while out hunting. I keep it powered off while using the GB Pro as it will cause the GB Pro to act very erratic. I have had the Pro on while sitting down and making a call at times and never encountered anything like you have. On the other hand one day when I was not really watching what I was doing I set my cell phone down in the back of the rig and came back to look for something and while moving things around my pick with magnet found my cell phone. I tried it right away and it was dead. I was still in warranty so I was lucky. VLF's do weird things though. I can remember hunting with the first Goldmaster's listening to pilots going in and out of San Francisco International and I was in Trinity county a few hundred miles to the North. A few years later that stopped and I never had that experience again. I guess they changed something. You better watch it as Aliens might prove to be interested in you and your electrical qualities. LOL TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Frank, That's a good idea. I will try to contact someone at Blackberry, hopefully I can get to a tech type person. It will be next week before I have a chance.

Dredging season opened this week on our club claims over in Liberty, WA and I am leavbing for there in the morning. Never dredged or even saw it done other than on U toob so am very interested in checking it out. I will let everyone know what I am able to find out from the mfg.

Ray, It's not aliens that I am worried about over where I was when the phone puked. The place is not that remote but off the beaten track a bit and I always get spooked over there. It's like someone or something is watching me. And, you guys will think I am nuts, I swear I heard voices there last week and there was not a soul around. And, I was not drinking, been sober over 7 years now. I never thought about the phone interfering with the Gold Bug, thanks for that tidbit of info.

NO NO, I could care less about a giant conglomerate phone company. Especially their opinions on ANYTHING their all a bunch of ripoffs.

And besides that you probably would just be PUT ON HOLD !!!!! get it :hahaha:

I didn't mean for you to call them, I was refering to :head: Fisher Metal Detectors and speak to a tech there about possible interference or destruction with cell phones