Nugget Shooter Forums

GBII vs. Eureka Gold...

Rimshot

It's always been puzzling to me as to why so many here believe in the Fisher Gold Bug II and very few here ever mention the Minelab Eureka Gold.

To a rookie like me with very little prospecting experience I would think the Eureka Gold would be the better choice. Mainly because it can operate at 3 different frequencies

(simply switch between frequencies of 6.4, 20 and 60kHz to target different depths). To me the difference between 60kHz vs. 71 kHz don't amount to much. Plus the fact that you have 2 more frequencies added to the Eureka Gold does make it a much more versatile machine with the ability to go deeper.

I guess what holds the Eureka Gold back from being the better choice is coil selection. Only 2 coils for it and NO small coil vs. 4 coil selections for the Gold Bug II which includes the small coil.

hmmm.....Wonder why Minelab never built a small coil for the Eureka. Weird... :*&$*(:

Rim

One of the problems with the ML Eureka Gold vs the Gold Bug is like you mentions is the available coil sizes. The other problem is the learning curve. Operators seem to master the Gold Bug II, or Pro Model faster than operators with the Eureka Gold. The old addage come true here... you got to learn the sound that your detector is making and what it mean.Practice, practice, and practice! I got a Eureka Gold that I have use for the past six years. I love it! I got the standard 5 x 10 stock ellip DD coil and a Coiltek 15" WOT. I may not be able to sniff out a small nugget like the Gold Bug II can, but I can go and detect some very mineralize ground that the Gold Bug can't. Both machines got their place where they excell in... but if you don't put the time in to learning their quirks and sounds neither one will find you gold. I have just upgraded to the GPX5000, but the Eureka Gold still come with me every trip out.

More Au to you, Robert

Robert,

Nice info on the Eureka. Just curious, when you are in heavy mineralize ground situation, which frequency works best for you?

Rim

Rimshot, With the standard 5 x 10 elip I use the 20kHZ about 80 % of the time, 60kHz the other when I know the ground is shallow or on bedrock. The WOT may be nosier than the stock elip, but using 20kHz or 7.5kHz is a killer conbination on coin shoots and relics.

More Au to you, Robert

Robert thank's for the info from your on personal experience with the Eureka Gold.

Your response pretty much confirms the feelings of Steve H. over on the AKmining message board. He wrote a review about the Eureka and felt that it was opitimized for the 20kHz range.

I also like the tone knob idea for opitimizing the tone to each persons hearing capabilities. That was definitely a great idea.

It's a darn shame that all of the detector manufacturers didn't get together and come up with a universal rule to allow any coil to be attached to any detector. I think any detector could be a better detector if they would have considered a universal rule for all detector manufacturers.

TC!

Rim