Nugget Shooter Forums

Fall 2012 Nugget Shooter Outing

Hi All I am thinking Quartzsite (Dome area) for the fall shin dig around end of October or early November....

As always looking for input and I will solidify date after hearing some feedback.

Count me in... Now that i escaped ohio anytime is good !!!

Any weekend works for me! Missed the last one, aim to show up at this one. Just need a little notice, I scored a really good paying job(for a poor white boy anyway) and I need to put in a request for time off. Slave to the man, but it's paying the bills for now....

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yeah the days are passing and getting ever so slightly shorter and I can almost see October 26th from my house :nutty::brows: I will likely tack a few days off and arrive early for some serious relaxing!

For those new to our annual outings it goes like this:

All forum members are welcome to attend

This is not a dealer event so there will be no booths etc. You want something from my store I will bring it for you though

Primitive camping with RV access in general area on BLM land

Bring firewood if you want a fire as there is little available

Joining GPAA or one of the local clubs is a very good idea as open ground is scarce

Bring anything you would normally bring to camp out for a weekend, closest food, ice, etc. is about 11 miles at Quartzsite

These are no pressure outings to meet other forum members and perhaps snag a little gold and we have allot of fun!

C-Ya there....

Bill

Being fairly new i would really like to get out there in october and meet some of you.... I do not belong to any clubs yet so would i be able to detect anywhere without that in the dome rock area?______.

Could i join a club when i get there or is it better to do that now?_____

I think a free permit is needed there to camp at dome rock and there's an on site blm office there?______

Thanks for any help you can give to a newbie

I have never been asked for any permits in the 20 years I have been going there, but if you stay in one spot more than 2 weeks you will likely get a visit from the local BLM folks. Joining a club is the best bet and now would be as good a time as any with the 2 local clubs being a great deal and GPAA the other option. I am a member of all 3 and info can be found by searching google for Quartzsite gold prospecting clubs. Will look forward to meeting you...

From my reading and such... there is a "BLM AmbASSador" out there during this time of year who will provide you with the free pass thing (I guess it's similar to the Forest Service camping thing, only free).

Statements I've seen - even on here - is that if you don't find him, he will find you.

I, personally, think it's a good thing. I've passed and stopped on Dome Rock Rd several times during the winter and it looks more like an RV show than an RV show out there!

• 1 month later...

Last time I was there (Jan) there was a civilian volunteer under a shade tent issuing permits. He said that if you didn't have one it would cost you. His claim (to which I called BS) was that it was an attempt to keep track of the number of people that used the ground around there so as to avoid closing it. I asked the big question. "What is the sense of closing barren unimproved land?" I got no answer. I then informed him that IMHO it is PUBLIC LAND and the blm only WORKS there. The entire idea is STUPID. If not enough people use an area it will be closed. STOOPID STOOPID STOOPID!!!!!!!!

Their title is "Camp Host". You will find them at most of the BLM "designated" camping or day use areas. They were camped on the freeway side, and at the Q end of the camping area. They have you fill out paperwork (permit) to camp for 14 days, and then you must move on. I think they are more or less a "Monitor" to keep people from spending time over the 14 day limit, and other minor duties. This is much different than the La Posa Camping area on 95, South of Q, time limit wise.

There is always one here at Craggy Wash (a "designated" BLM boon docking area like Dome Rock) during the Snow Bird season.

Patrick.....

Oh OK that would be a BLM volunteer and likely legit as they use these guys to report folks violating time limits. Kind of like a camp rent a cop that gets no pay except for the wonderful feeling of power over fellow campers..

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

We will try to go... It's a long drive from Flag and all we have to camp is a tent.... Never been to Quartzite... can someone give me directions to the camp from westbound I-10?