Nugget Shooter Forums
Tom (AZ)

Anybody using a TDI

I found a good deal "I thought " on a TDI, but after doing a search on the internet and checking the forums, there is very little activity on the TDI, TDI PRO, or TD SL, so I thought I would ask on some of the forums, anybody using one or know of anybody that is using one and if so, what are the results.

I am not interested in bashing the brand, just looking for honest info.

Tom

I have one. Its a decent detector but you cant compare it to a 5000 minelab like a lot of guys tend to. Its a cheaper pulse machine that will find gold...you just have to use it and learn the machine.

Jerico is correct.

Also you can't compare it to a SD2000, 2100 , 2200, GP Etreme, 3000, 3500, and on up.

I have hunted side by side with TDI's and have seen that a person needs to be well tuned into and well tuned on the TDI to capture gold nuggets with it.

I would never "bash" a Whites detector. I have owned a few. Whites makes a good product.

My opinion of the TDI is it is much better suited to coin and relic hunting. That is from what I have seen and also a couple tests I have done.

A multi-purpose detector it can be for sure.

If I were mainly concerned with gold nuggets I would rather own the GMT VLF that Whites makes if a Minelab P.I. was out of the question.

Just tryin to help you out a bit with anothers personal experiences with one.

Thanks for the reply, how small of a nugget and how far from the coil will a TDI detect. The one I am looking at is the TDI, not the Pro or SL.

Tom

Frank,

Thanks for the info, I have White's V3i and I am happey with it, you answered the question that I was going to ask next and that was how it compared to the SD, GP series. I have a SD 2000 down under being repaired by Ismael Jones, looks like I will pass on the TDI for now.

We have a crisis with black ants here on the forum. I am sorry, but some responses to your question may be delayed. :D

Thats IT ADAM, I spilled my fresh cup o coffee now :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

I been thinkin the same thing lately !!!!!!! :ROFL:

Tom.... sounds a though you have an original TDI.... The first 200 were known as a "hole"

machine as they were not hard-wiired to the board but could be easliiy rewired if needed.

I have one with serial #13... I bought it from White's factory... It was like new and had been

recondiitioned.... Jimmy sent it to me as a good-will, but I would take it as a frrebie,

So I bought it and I paid just a few $$$ less then $1000. No accessories... Those

manufactured. after the 200 were hardwired to the board.... I only used mine as a gold

derector and was able to hunt under the Hi-lines in the Randsburg area...

i will not bash my TDI... Nor is it for sale... however a 2000 that has been modded by

ismael... This is a keeper... A "Bird iin the Hand.... " Best...jim

Hi Jim,

I like White's and sure would not bash them, they have the best customer service in the business. I have a V3i that is on its way back home from their service dept. they really know how to take care of their customers. I ran across a TDI a couple of weeks ago, comes with 4 coils and looked like it was new, but I don't know if it was one of the original 200. I did a search on the internet and could not find very much info on the them, and the TID forums are real quiet.

I did get real lucky when I ran across the SD2000, I posted some pictures of it on the forums and a couple of guys sent me e-mails and said it looked like an older Ismael Jones mod. I found Ismael's e-mail and sent him some pictures of the detector and he responded to my e-mail and confirmed it was one of his mods. Ismael is a heck of a nice guy, he no longer does mods on detectors, but he offered to check my detector if I would pay shipping. Ismael has it now and is checking it, he found a couple of things wrong with the detector and he is repairing it in his spare time.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I use the TDI as well as the SL and like them both. No, they are not ML's but that isn't a bad thing. No, the TDI series will not go as deep as many ML's which is the big thing always mentioned.

What the TDI has going for it is its ability to handle noise, hotrocks, black sand and be able to actually ignore a lot of the iron junk while detecting the size of nuggets most often found. This makes cherry picking targets quite easy in the worst kind of environments.

In my opinion, most TDI's sold by owners are done so by people who have actually not used the PI long enough to fully understand or appreciate it. The longer one owns this detector and uses it often will find why so many people who have taken time to learn them actually prefer to use them. They work well and with experience will allow a person to hunt even trashy areas quite effectively. Better yet, they really do work well when trying to hunt old sites for silver and copper coins.

To work best, the TDI needs to be operated slowly when compared to what a person usually runs a VLF. Sweep too fast and one can miss very small gold quite easily. Also, there is no need to operate or try to operate at maximum sensitivity.

Learning how to adjust the GB to reduce noise and/or set the level of iron junk rejected is one important characteristic of this detector. Master this feature and you have come a long way in mastering the detector.

Reg

• Like 1

Hey Reg... Good to see your post... The White'sTDI, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Gold Stinger and the Fisher Gold Strike are all examples of detectors that are "bashed." However, for anyone who has taken the time to really learn, them they will fiind them actually pretty good machines.

Hey Reg... Good to see your post... The White'sTDI, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Gold Stinger and the Fisher Gold Strike are all examples of detectors that are "bashed." However, for anyone who has taken the time to really learn, them they will fiind them actually pretty good machines.

I agree, I hear terrible things about the Infinium on the boards, but I love mine and a few of my friends clean up using them.