Nugget Shooter Forums

Uh-Oh, where’s my Car Key? Imbecilic in New York!

This morning at 6am, two friends met at my house and we piled into my car and headed off for a nice local hunt. I found an extended-time meter parking space about 50-yards away from the woods we wanted to detect, put 4-hours on it, and off we went.

About 10am, I decided to walk back to the car and put another couple of hours in the meter. I stuck my hand in my pocket to get the key and Uh-oh! Over the last four hours of climbing up the six-acre wooded hillside, sliding down parts of it, sitting down twice in different areas to drink water, and getting down on my knees to dig targets dozens of times, I had lost my freaking car key.

The following words - along with some others that I can’t type on this forum, immediately flashed through my mind: “Of all the imbecilic, absurd, asinine, brainless, cockamamie, crazy, daft, dippy, feebleminded, half-baked, harebrained, idiotic, ill-advised, ill-considered, incautious, jerky, kooky, loony, moronic, nonsensical, ridiculous, senseless, silly, stupid freaking things to do Terry!”

After beating myself up and getting over my initial embarrassment, I told Andrew and Angelika, and we spent the next 15-minutes sort of checking the areas where I had sat or slipped – nothing. I called my better half, who is a nurse at White Plains Hospital (just 3-miles from where we were detecting), and told her I was going to taxi over for her key. So, $12.00 and 30-minutes later I met back up with Angelika and Andrew. We decided to call it a day, and headed back to the car.

My “lost” key was still in the driver’s side door lock, right where I apparently left it! From now on, I will always MAKE SURE my car key is in a zippered pocket. Well, at least I didn’t get a parking ticket. Oh, and the hunt pretty much sucked wind.. Three Wheats – 1919, 1916, 1917 – Two Zincolns – a Headstamp & brass casing – Pocketwatch frames(?) – and a 1965 quarter. I guess technically i’m only down $11.70 on this morning’s hunt!

post-22152-0-41773700-1341606838_thumb.j

post-22152-0-23628900-1341606852_thumb.j

This story will be very funny for you next year looking back on it, but I know it wasn't that funny at the time not knowing where the key was!!!! :grr01:

But it's very funny for the rest of us, thanks for posting your CRS moment!! :ROFL:

If that 1917 wasn't all beat up and it was the Double Die obverse version it would of been a very good day and you would've come out ahead of the game!!! :evil1:

Skip

This story will be very funny for you next year looking back on it, but I know it wasn't that funny at the time not knowing where the key was!!!! :grr01:

But it's very funny for the rest of us, thanks for posting your CRS moment!! :ROFL:

If that 1917 wasn't all beat up and it was the Double Die obverse version it would of been a very good day and you would've come out ahead of the game!!! :evil1:

Skip

Sure, rub that salt right into the wound Skip! :hahaha:

I've done goofie things like that but Paying a Parking Meter to Hunt in the Woods I just can't Understand.

Something is SOO Wrong There.

Nervous Tension with the key problem for sure.

Nice wheats, what have you been using for a detector lately on your relic hunts terry??

My last three hunts have been with the Tesoro Cibola http://www.tesoro.com/product/detectors/cibola/index.html which I traded for one of our used Lobo Super Traqs. I dug the 1852 silver three-cent piece with it last week. I am still learning the machine's language, which is actually fairly simple with aluminum usually giving a "grrrr" on the tone rather than staying sharp on multiple sweeps. For me it is learning to TRUST the machine like I do the LST.

The discrimination on the Cibola is so good I find nickels next to iron. Depth - so far, is about 11" on a clad dime using discrimination above iron and below nickel. It may go deeper, just haven't hit that target yet. Pinpointing is scary accurate at dead-center coil, and the thing only weighs 2.2-pounds Frank! So far I'm loving it!

Terry...the excitement of preparing to hunt just overwhelmed you, (although my incidents are usually beer related) been there done that and will probably do it again. Although when it happens to someone else it is damm funny!!! :hahaha:

Terry ... having been where you live I am surprised the car was still there ... open invitation to someone to go for a joy ride with the keys just hanging off the door saying "take me"! Good thing it was the Subaru and not the Mercedes! LOL!!! Had to laugh though as I did that a few years back ... now I take the keys out of the ignition find a nearby rock and toss the keys under it before I even take the detector out. Haven't had a problem with that system since! I used to attach the keys to a brass snap and clip to my belt loop until one day the loop broke and without even hearing them drop the keys were gone. Fortunately I have a spare door/ignition key in my wallet! Few days later detecting in the same location I found them.

Funny story, good day with friends and even a few targets to add to the collection ... overall the $12 was a cheap morning of entertainment for your friends ... and having met Andrew i'm sure he will razz you unmercifully! ... as he should!

Mike F

After you lock your keys in the car a few times you start to realize that you WILL do it again, so I put one of those magentic key holder doodads under the frame, had to use it many times. Once I did that with my 1yr old still strapped in the car seat...talk about a panic!!! It was right in the driveway of my house, figured I'd better get it open quick or the ol lady will kill me!! I had a slim-jim (not the ones you eat) in the bed of my truck but had never used it before...under that kind of pressure (death by blunt force injury) I'm a quick learner and in mere minutes I popped the door open, Whew!!!

One time as my daughter got older maybe say 7-8 we went fishing off the rocks in San Diego bay and she wanted to get the doughnuts out of my truck so she went back to the truck maybe fifteen feet from where we were fishing got the doughnuts and promptly locked the keys in it, now normally I would get the spare from my magnetic doo-dad but on this particular day I had a company truck and no spare, so I peeled the thin aluminum strip that said "tough box" or whatever the name of the toolbox was off and used my fishing knife to fabricate a slim jim and after 30 minutes or so I popped it open, whew...dodged another bullet!! Probably everyone in this forum has a tale about losing or locking the keys.

This has been a funny thread. But on the sad side and I'm feeling for you Terry, it only increases more with old age.

I'm glad you found your car keys in the door of your car. Adding to Bucket, I too have a key in the subframe attached to a wire. It's a bitch to get out, but worth the effort. Because I once was in a similar situation.

I borrowed my ex's car to quickly run an errand. Shut the door. Stage 1 locked. Stage 2, no keys. Stage 3, keys are in the ignition. Stage 4, engine is still running. No cell phone, no wallet, no nothing. So I stood there wondering what was going to happen first.. the engine blow from overheating or should I use my useless head to break the window.

It just so happens, a professional car thief came along and showed me his skills. Phew! All was well. But I pointed out a nice car he would like and I high tailed out of the scene asap.

Cheers,

Johnno

Well Terry, when you find out what's wrong with you, please let me know. I had a similiar situation happen to me a few weeks ago. I lost my keys. Looked high and low for them and found nuttin. Went and looked thru the winshield of my car to see if they were in switch and found nuttin. Walked everywhere I had previously walked that day looking and found nuttin. So I finally had given up all hope on finding my key's and decided a nap was in order. Walked up to front door of house and HOOP! There they were! Right where I had left them, in the front door knob.... :cool: Yup! It's tuff getting old... :brows:

Thanks for all the stories fellas! They made me cringe, laugh, and nod my head in agreement! Thank all of you for being here to share these life experiences with! :wubu:

Was on my way to Oklahoma driving the wife's new Chevy van. It was the newest car we had and I figured it would make the trip. Got out at a gas station and didn't realize what the dinging sound was so I locked the door and went inside. Coming back to the van was when I figured out the dinging sound was the van telling me the keys are in the ignition. Took me more that an hour to fashion a stick to get the door unlocked and I went right back in the store and had an extra key made to keep in my pocket.

Now days I know what the sounds means but it doesn't help with the keys on the seat. :grr01:

• 2 weeks later...

Terry just between you and me the very same thing happened to me a couple of months ago but I ain't about to spill my guts

about it here so every body can laugh his rear off at me..... :old:

Terry just between you and me the very same thing happened to me a couple of months ago but I ain't about to spill my guts

I won't tell a soul! :wubu:

Don, I think you just did! :ROFL: :ROFL: