Nugget Shooter Forums

Strange Looking Rock found on The Rock, Newfoundland!

Hi, I am looking for info on this strange rock! It was found about 30 years ago on the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland, Canada. It weighs about 150 lb, has what appears to be a fusion crust with a thumbprint pattern. I checked for iron with an Ace 250 metal detector and didn't get a response. I'm not sure if it could still be a meteorite or possibly a tektite or what...? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Attached are some pictures of the rock. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Paul

PB121021.jpg

PB121025.jpg

PB121029.jpg

PB121024.jpg

I am certainly no expert in meteorites but all the real experts are busy so i thought i would offer up my thoughts. A non- magnetic meteorite... not likely but possible. A meteorite of this size would surely weigh alot more than 150 pounds as they are very dense and heavy for their size. It appears to me to resemble vesicular basalt , which could have originated from one of the 4 large volcanoes in your area. I am just speculating here , could be totally wrong. Either way by the end of the weekend you will have more opinions so don't fret that nobody responded , because they will . Have an awesome weekend.

Posting a picture and asking THAT question is by far the easiest thing to do...

however, reading through the back posts, doing some research and conducting the series of elimination tests would be much more effienent and educational....

That said, my guess is also volcanic and perhaps transported glacier material...You must be a big, strong lad to haul that rock home!

fred

Due to my knowledge on the subject, or lack thereof, this info is like The Big Bang! Thanks Guys, greatly appreciated! Fred, I agree 100%. In the days/weeks/years to come, I will put this forum to better use.lol We come pretty big, 6' 4" 230 lb, hopefully I can drop a little weight exploring with a metal detector! This rock was found when I was a kid, and with a hand cart and dads 4x4, it was coming home!

Paul