Nugget Shooter Forums

Farm Field Find: 1883 Scovill Button

Hit a farm field this morning within view of the Hudson River, near Sleepy Hollow, New York. I scored a lot of iron, a couple of coins, and this button. It was made in 1883, by the Scovill Manufacturing Company, of Waterbury, Connecticut. They made most of the uniform buttons for the Union uniforms during the Civil War. The front says “Peoples Line Steamers,” which was a steamboat company operating between New York City, and Albany, New York. I wish it could talk!

post-22152-0-11403200-1340809802_thumb.j

post-22152-0-91649600-1340809817_thumb.j

post-22152-0-81375400-1340809832_thumb.j

My home stompin grounds Terry Connecticut.

That state used to be jam packed with manufacturers and mom an pop businesses up untill the 90's when all this govt. an greenie crap started rollin in.

Nice find keep it up an I'll bet something real unusual will be under the coil.

Wow! Thanks Frank!! What a cool flyer. I think I found myself a nice area to scour over the summer. Almost no trash other than old iron. Thanks again!

Terry,

Be on the look out for some of these too. U.S. army button. Not sure what the date is on this one. Waterbury Conn. must have been one heck of a button making place. I thought Scovill might have been connected to Waterbury Button company, but I guess not.

http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=1

But still some good old fashion history here.

Rim

PS-I guess my dad found this but could have been one of his. Not sure. He was in army air corps or something like that.

post-26159-0-97770700-1341103457_thumb.j

post-26159-0-82755700-1341103484_thumb.j

Terry,

Must have been one of his garrett finds I guess because he got out in 1945. Thank's for the info!

Rim