Nugget Shooter Forums

can any body I.D this Rock please

Hello I found this rock gold minig in a local River here in southeast michigan it was about Two foot down in some hardpack gravil . It most likely came down from canada Thank you Ryan.

post-26297-0-60078500-1340382277_thumb.j

post-26297-0-44713500-1340382313_thumb.j

post-26297-0-15429500-1340382347_thumb.j

Well, without doin some basic tests i.e: streak, hardness, specific gravity, etc. it looks like it could be nephrite ( a form of jade), or flint, or chert, but it could be a # of diff. minerals. We are the lands of glacial deposits.100's of different types of minerals can be found in our soils here in Michigan, all from different epochs in deep geological times-scales. Goldfinger, what do you think?

No Expert here but I too would say it's river tumbled Chert or Flint of some kind.

Jade is quite Soft.

Chert ... Spending the last 30 years along the shores of lake erie I found a lot of similar samples. I sold them to a guy who made cheapo rings for the flea markets. You could stroll along the rocky river and always pick up a few pieces. But still glad i moved to Arizona , it's a whole new game.

Yes you did !!! Good Job to you. :wubu:

Without being able to hold it in my hand, I don't have a clue. Not much help with indentifying rocks anyway. I think minerals have more characteristics which makes them easier to identify. (my opinion) Rocks are boring.- Sorry Frank. :D:inocent:

Steve

Without being able to hold it in my hand, I don't have a clue. Not much help with indentifying rocks anyway. I think minerals have more characteristics which makes them easier to identify. (my opinion) Rocks are boring.- Sorry Frank. :D:inocent:

Steve

But Steve, Rocks ARE minerals, it's just that their separate crystal structures are mircoscopicly granular, and to be able to veiw them, they must be magnified any where from 20X- 300X. But my friend, I must be insistant in arguing that you are wrong, and that rocks are definitely NOT boring! :rasberry: ...Frank

But Frank, rocks are so dull to look at... I'd rather have a nice crystallized specimen of iridescent marcasite on pyrite with calcite and dolomite then a piece of boring granite. :rasberry: But all rocks and minerals are viewed in the eyes of the beholder if that makes any sense. It's just that I was brought up to collect minerals so that's always been my preference. :D

Steve

Good Morning Steve ,

I understand what you are saying , as well as what Frank has said. All the sparkly minerals will always be prettier than the dull rounded " stones" but they are all prehistoric and made of some mineral or another. I like all rocks , except the ones in my head.... haven't seen them yet. Everybody have a great day... off to the mountains i go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I live near the Indiana/Michigan border. Once I sent a sample to an assayer of Ridgecrest, CA. The assay came back saying it was a type of Glaucophane which is common in Japan, found in some western coastal ranges, is commonly in association with Jadeite. It can be brittle, but can be hard also, bluish-green lighter or darker shades, lavender tinge, can be blackish like Apache Tears.

You can find tons of it in glacial till. Sometimes there can be white inclusions or ribbons, making it look identical to some AZ Malachite specimens.

post-21285-0-85645100-1341790364_thumb.j

post-21285-0-04538000-1341790404_thumb.j

Rule out the possibility of Jasper first, Michigan is known for bright glossy red stones, but can be black too.