Nugget Shooter Forums

What to do in this situation?

Hello everyone,

I was casually browsing craigslist, seeing if anyone was selling meteorites. Came across this: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bar/3083886431.html

it is obviously not a meteorite. I did not want anyone to accidentally purchase it assuming it was one, so I sent the seller a polite message saying that it was not a meteorite, for reasons x, y, and z. This is the response:

"Are you a member of the IMCS or just in to saying what you think!  I've done a few of the tests, though I'm certain that the rust would go on to anything if I streak it against it.

I can't say for certain whether it's just slag of some sort or another, but I'm positive that it's not terrestrial.  I think it could be part of the Sun and the cinders it throws off into outerspace.

I'm looking for an IMCS Member to learn about membership!  Or a Geologist that has an idea of what they're taking about.  Cause, there use to be a Crater about fifty yards from my house about twenty-years ago or so."

Any help in what to do in this situation? Should I just leave the seller alone and hope no one buys "part of the sun"? Thanks in advance.

Simon

I agree with Mike , this guy has looney tunes playing in his head !!!!!!

I just clicked the link, went to the add, and wrote dum-dum an eye and earful, sent a couple pics of real space rocks and told him nobody with any brains or common sense would give him a dime fer some train wreckage without some sort of certificate of authenticity from a state university, let him figure it out. :nutty::arrowheadsmiley::nutty:

Fred,

Contacted a meteorite expert at UC Davis and sent him pics. He says it looks interesting and would like to take a closer look at it, I will visit the campus later in the summer to follow up. I am 95% sure it is one, but I'm no expert, and the pictures I posted don't really do it justice. It just doesnt stick to a magnet as strong as magnetite does, though...and in hand it just does not have the look of a terrestrial rock.

Okay,

I am confused. :nutty: Noncents, Is this your ad on Craigslist???? Based on your last post, it is. If you contacted a meteorite "expert" at UC Davis, he could have told you what it was NOT right off the bat.

The picture in the link to Craigslist is NOT a meteorite. It is actually a very good example of Hematite or in that family of stones.

So, based on your posts here, you have me a little confused as you what you are trying here. Are you trying to convince us that rock you posted a link to is a meteorite??? If so, you would be so wrong.

Jim

Jim,

No, this is not my listing. Sorry for the confusion. The post about the UC Davis thing is completely different, I probably should have made that distinction. The craigslist ad is not mine, it belongs to an obviously uneducated seller looking to make a quick buck.

I exchanged a couple of emails with the Craigslist guy and he now realizes it's not a meteorite and indicated he is pulling the listing, I think. ... He said he found lots of them all along a traintrack in the San Francisco Bay Area... Cheers, Unc

• 3 weeks later...