Nugget Shooter Forums

The Tuscarora mining district contains the oldest and the only productive Eocene epithermal deposits in Nevada. The district is a particularly clear example of association of low-sulfidation deposits with igneous activity and structure, and it is unusual in that it consists of two adjoining but physically and chemically distinct types of low-sulfidation deposits. Moreover, Tuscarora deposits are of interest because they formed contemporaneously with nearby, giant Carlin-type gold deposits. The Tuscarora deposits formed within the 39.9 to 39.3 Ma Tuscarora volcanic field, along and just outside the southeastern margin of the caldera-like Mount Blitzen volcanic center. Both deposit types formed at 39.3 Ma, contemporaneous with the only major intrusive activity in the volcanic field. No deposits are known to have formed during any of the intense volcanic phases of the field. Intrusions were the apparent heat source, and structures related to the Mount Blitzen center were conduits for hydrothermal circulation. The ore-forming fluids interacted dominantly with Eocene igneous rocks.

The two deposit types occur in a northern silver-rich zone that is characterized by relatively high Ag/Au ratios (110–150), narrow alteration zones, and quartz and carbonate veins developed mostly in intrusive dacite, and in a southern gold-rich zone that is typified by relatively low Ag/Au ratios (4–14), more widespread alteration, and quartz-fissure and stockwork veins commonly developed in tuffaceous sedimentary rocks. The deposit types have similar fluid inclusion and Pb and S isotope characteristics but different geochemical signatures. Quartz veins from both zones have similar thermal and paragenetic histories and contain fluid inclusions that indicate that fluids cooled from between 260° and 230°C to less than 200°C. Fluid boiling may have contributed to precious-metal deposition. Veins in both zones have relatively high As and Sb and low Bi, Te, and W. The silver zone has high Ca, Pb, Mn, Zn, Cd, Tl, and Se. The gold zone has high Hg and Mo. A few samples from an area of overlap between the two zones share chemical characteristics of both deposit types. The deposit types could represent a single zoned or evolving system in which hydrothermal fluids rose along structures within the silver zone, preferentially deposited Ag and base metals, and then spread into the gold zone. Alternatively, the deposit types could represent two distinct but temporally indistinguishable hydrothermal cells that only narrowly overlapped spatially.

As noted in previous studies, the hydrothermal fluids that generated the Tuscarora and other epithermal deposits could have evolved from Carlin-type fluids by boiling and mixing with meteoric water. If so, the Tuscarora deposit may represent epithermal conditions above Carlin-type deposits, and Carlin-type deposits may lie beneath the district.

http://economicgeology.org/content/98/2/339.abstract

That's a good read Jim. Interesting.

• Like 1
  • Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A  funny about Jim.   He took a WW2 era mine sweep metal detector to a coin contest at Rancho Jurupa... The detector had no battery and  was not working.  He went into the field and picked up visible

The word is out that Jim has passed away. I last saw and spoke with Jim a bit over a year ago. He spent several hours on both Saturday and Sunday in the ICMJ booth with me at the Pomona GPAA show. He

Bill what I'm trying to say and continue to say it badly, but at my age I'm on my way out. I've had my 15 seconds of fame years ago... My day is past. I liken myself as a caboose on a train... Thus

Posted Images

Rim.... WOW. WOW... You are the GREATEST!!!! .... Listenup all you serious Nugget Shooters. Check out the

references to the above link. Today many larger mining companies are drilling epithermals and find them

associated with the various Carlin-Types...

However, there are many small overlooked precious metal epithermas (mainly a mix of silver and gold known as

electrum) out there in the 'hinderland' that can be today successfully worked with a metal detector.

It does not matter which detector... but being first is critical! But no matter what do not quit your day job,

neglect your family or lose site of ethicas and always follow the rules... And for gosh sakes, please do not ever

become a grown-up grade school bully. More later... Ol' tailgate :old: ...

• Like 1

Jim,

Is that information unique to Nevada only? I can't find other states mentioned.

Rim

Rim... we need to go back to earlier posts on this sub-forum. YOU ARE THE MAN :thumbsupanim

Go back to pg 2... then read the following posts beginning with 28 through 36 and especially

your link on pg 37.... Open up link and study the illustrations... Back in about 1961 the Lynn

epithermal deposit was drilled and found to be a CARLIN-type at depth... Lynn is in the north-

eastern edge of Eureka county and the name Carlin-trend is now known.

Today, some knowledgeable full-timers are now detecting the smaller epithermals and recovering

placer silver-gold known as electrum...

Now everyone join in as it is YOUR sub-forum... Jim :old:

Jim, Changing the subject again, I recently found a mint copy of your book "Magnificent Quest" autographed by you!

Title page says Second Edition, First Printing, 1000 copies , copyright 1993.

It has 8 pages of pictures showing your friends metal detecting and dry washing, the picture on the back cover with your bio shows you using a Compass Gold Scanner Pro.

Thought you would want to know someone took excellent care of your book for 20 years! I'll try to pass it on to someone who will take good care of it for another 20 years.

Max Borden

Max... thank you for the complement. You have a copy of the second edition and as I remember

it was retyped by "Verla's electronic office" and looks pretty professonally done. The first edition was typed out

by me on an Apple ll GS and it was printed on a dot-matrix printer which was the same as a

typewriter. Otherwise the text is about the same as the first edition with some minor typo corrections.

The first edition was my third book. It was printed by RDK in Rialto and over a 1000 were printed

and sold. Max, my home address is 19225 Mesa St. Rialto CA 92377. If you are wiling to send me a letter

with your home address I will gladly send you a complementary copy of the 2009 update. It is still

selling pretty good as gembooks is still distributing it and I just had 400 copies printed. Notice my late

wife Gloria is one of the photos. The photo dates back to 1984. Life was 'good' back then as we were

able to spend weekends at Jim Ross's Dome Rock section 33 west, of Quartzsite.

..... Max... thanks for sharing a a great memory with me... jim

I will now say: this thread can mean many things to everyone. All is correct, All are

welcome. We are all gathered around an 'electonic campfire' discussing and learning

and letting old and new times roll... Please, this is your thread and let us all remember

it is Bill Southern who makes it all happen... Thank you Bill and a Happy Birthday as

there are great times ahead of you, this I know... Again; Thanks Bill.... jim straight

Jim, Thanks very much for the offer, letter is on the way.

Among my other collections of metal detecting and gold prospecting books is a 1988 autographed copy of "Cache Hunting II" by H. Glenn Carson.

Glenn was a neighbor of mine in Deming, NM in the '80s and I even sold him a claim, I think he is still selling books.

Its fun to read the old Treasure Hunters Manuals by Karl Von Mueller when Fisher and Garrett where the Kings of detectors, I bought my first factory built MD a Whites 66T from Jim Alexander in Houston,Tex in 1966, Jim was the first person I knew who went to Australia to hunt gold.

Thanks again!

Max

Max... thank you for the complement. You have a copy of the second edition and as I remember

it was retyped by "Verla's electronic office" and looks pretty professonally done. The first edition was typed out

by me on an Apple ll GS and it was printed on a dot-matrix printer which was the same as a

typewriter. Otherwise the text is about the same as the first edition with some minor typo corrections.

The first edition was my third book. It was printed by RDK in Rialto and over a 1000 were printed

and sold. Max, my home address is 19225 Mesa St. Rialto CA 92377. If you are wiling to send me a letter

with your home address I will gladly send you a complementary copy of the 2009 update. It is still

selling pretty good as gembooks is still distributing it and I just had 400 copies printed. Notice my late

wife Gloria is one of the photos. The photo dates back to 1984. Life was 'good' back then as we were

able to spend weekends at Jim Ross's Dome Rock section 33 west, of Quartzsite.

..... Max... thanks for sharing a a great memory with me... jim

I will now say: this thread can mean many things to everyone. All is correct, All are

welcome. We are all gathered around an 'electonic campfire' discussing and learning

and letting old and new times roll... Please, this is your thread and let us all remember

it is Bill Southern who makes it all happen... Thank you Bill and a Happy Birthday as

there are great times ahead of you, this I know... Again; Thanks Bill.... jim straight

Thank you Jim and I will look forward to that!

The Tuscarora mining district contains the oldest and the only productive Eocene epithermal deposits in Nevada. The district is a particularly clear example of association of low-sulfidation deposits with igneous activity and structure, and it is unusual in that it consists of two adjoining but physically and chemically distinct types of low-sulfidation deposits. Moreover, Tuscarora deposits are of interest because they formed contemporaneously with nearby, giant Carlin-type gold deposits. The Tuscarora deposits formed within the 39.9 to 39.3 Ma Tuscarora volcanic field, along and just outside the southeastern margin of the caldera-like Mount Blitzen volcanic center. Both deposit types formed at 39.3 Ma, contemporaneous with the only major intrusive activity in the volcanic field. No deposits are known to have formed during any of the intense volcanic phases of the field. Intrusions were the apparent heat source, and structures related to the Mount Blitzen center were conduits for hydrothermal circulation. The ore-forming fluids interacted dominantly with Eocene igneous rocks.

The two deposit types occur in a northern silver-rich zone that is characterized by relatively high Ag/Au ratios (110–150), narrow alteration zones, and quartz and carbonate veins developed mostly in intrusive dacite, and in a southern gold-rich zone that is typified by relatively low Ag/Au ratios (4–14), more widespread alteration, and quartz-fissure and stockwork veins commonly developed in tuffaceous sedimentary rocks. The deposit types have similar fluid inclusion and Pb and S isotope characteristics but different geochemical signatures. Quartz veins from both zones have similar thermal and paragenetic histories and contain fluid inclusions that indicate that fluids cooled from between 260° and 230°C to less than 200°C. Fluid boiling may have contributed to precious-metal deposition. Veins in both zones have relatively high As and Sb and low Bi, Te, and W. The silver zone has high Ca, Pb, Mn, Zn, Cd, Tl, and Se. The gold zone has high Hg and Mo. A few samples from an area of overlap between the two zones share chemical characteristics of both deposit types. The deposit types could represent a single zoned or evolving system in which hydrothermal fluids rose along structures within the silver zone, preferentially deposited Ag and base metals, and then spread into the gold zone. Alternatively, the deposit types could represent two distinct but temporally indistinguishable hydrothermal cells that only narrowly overlapped spatially.

As noted in previous studies, the hydrothermal fluids that generated the Tuscarora and other epithermal deposits could have evolved from Carlin-type fluids by boiling and mixing with meteoric water. If so, the Tuscarora deposit may represent epithermal conditions above Carlin-type deposits, and Carlin-type deposits may lie beneath the district.

http://economicgeology.org/content/98/2/339.abstract

That's a good read Jim. Interesting.

Me and a buddy of mine from Idaho checked this area out years ago. It's all mostly patented or private property (in the form of ranches) with hardly any BLM acreage in the area. There's some but even that is all claimed up. It was difficult to get permission from anyone to hunt. Found out later they've had plenty claimjumpers in the past and the only way to hunt it is if you already knew someone in the area.

Steve

Max

Max... I met Glenn many years ago. He is a regular guy and goes out of his way to help others in need.

Glenn was a contributor for many years with Western & Eastern Treasures and wrote a monthly column.

Bill... a Birthday Present (package library media), is expected to arrive at your Morristown PO addess by

Wed 05/15/2013. A first class letter will arrive quicker and explain about your Birthday package...

Steve... the important thing about Tuscarora is that it is epithermal and a example of ore bearing minerals

interacting with Euecene volcanic rocks...

Epithermal ore-bringer fluids, such as Tuscaroa (Eocene volcanic host rocks) are examples

of epithemal-class that known to interact with Eocene.. Miocene... Plocene... and even late-Jurassic

volcanics... and many are now being found to have a relationship with the Carlin-type deposits.

Over the passing years many old mining areas and even water- and stage- stops have gone

from a mining based industry to an agriculture based economy... and even agriculture land is now

being gobbled up as urban areas.

Great posts... and links... I'm listening and learning... aren't we all! Keep them coming... jim

Me and a buddy of mine from Idaho checked this area out years ago. It's all mostly patented or private property (in the form of ranches) with hardly any BLM acreage in the area. There's some but even that is all claimed up. It was difficult to get permission from anyone to hunt. Found out later they've had plenty claimjumpers in the past and the only way to hunt it is if you already knew someone in the area.

Steve

Well wouldn't you just know it....shucks, i guess i'll never travel to Nevada then. NVChris, you're safe...............lol!

Thank's for the info Steve.

Rim

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

New question. I trying to learn more about Fishers and there relationship to gold. I can not find much information on them. I may be looking in the wrong place.

Please help.

Dan Taylor

Dan... I live close to you. Just a phone call away... My phone # 909-875-4812. if'n I do

not answer it may because I'm searching for the phone so try again. Then if'n I do not

answer likely I'm not there. Please do not leave a message as it goes to a mailbox and

I cannot hear the messages as I'm pretty hard of hearing... and if'n I answer please be

patient wirh me as you will need to speak louder and slower... I will be home most of the

weekend as I'm putting together a book order for Monday... Jim :old:

Jim,

Thank you so much for your time on Sunday. I learned so much. Jim is so thankful for this form, and thankful for all the people who so freely share there knowledge. Bill, Chris and Rimshot you guys sure are well thought of by Jim.

I did some looking last night on line for Epithermmal Gold & Silver. I found something I set to Jim. He asked me to in turn post it as it is hard for him to post links. Some good diagrams and picture to check out. So take a look.

http://www.kermode.com/s/qwikreport.asp?IsPopup=Y&printVersion=now&X8WZ=538765,523645,523710

Dan T.

• Like 1

Dan... I did not know of the Eastgate project. But I'm very familiar wth Eastgate. It was one a busy

stopover between Ely and Reno... State Hwy 50 which mostly followed the early circa 1800's trail

such as pony expess and other early traffic... However about 1950 Hwy 50 was realined and swung

to the north... thus the section cut off Middlegate but rejoined Hwy 50 again. Eastgate was once a busy

stopover and made the best apple pie ever tasted. A busy truck stop in the 1940's and 50's the traffic

on 50 was pretty good. Eastgate was a nice place with many services.. But it is now cutoff and

secondary hwy 722. Today Eastgate may be just a site or hanging on with little to offer. However 722

is historical and services some early places dating back well over 150 years beteen Eastgate and Austin

in.. But 722 is narrow and many passes such as Carroll Summit. 50 and 722 rejoined at Austin but time

passes and there is now little traffic between Ely and Reno... Ely is now fading away and it is much

quicker to take Hwy 80 from the west coast to Salt Lake by swinging north at Fallon through

Winnemucca, Carlin and Elko.

Dan... Thank you for posting about Eastgate... This is not my forum... It is eveyones and there is now

a lot of GREAT information leading to more successful prospecting. Please keep the information coming

as we all learn... And it is Bill Southern who keeps this subforum going... Thanks Bill... jim straight

I did some looking last night on line for Epithermmal Gold & Silver. I found something I set to Jim. He asked me to in turn post it as it is hard for him to post links. Some good diagrams and picture to check out. So take a look.

http://www.kermode.com/s/qwikreport.asp?IsPopup=Y&printVersion=now&X8WZ=538765,523645,523710

Dan T.

Dan,

Thank you for this link url. The photos are especially helpful/educational for someone like me, who wants to learn more about epithermal geology. Of course, thanks, too, to Jim S. for leading the charge for so long on this topic!

Dan,

I'm just trying to learn about gold prospecting. I have never hunted for gold, but one day I hope to do so. Awesome pics Dan! But if I can find a link for Jim, I don't mind helping out.

Just enjoy reading about prospecting.

Rim

Jim,

I'm out to Mt Ord at 4:30 am Sat. to my spot with Rogger D and a couple of othe guys. Thanks so much for the information you gave me the other day. I will be looking for different things now. Thank you so much for helping us all grow in our prospecting knowledge. You have been such a help to so many. I will come see ya next week, take you to lunch if you like.

Rim, I so wish you were going with us. Man NOTHING like finding gold for the first time. Maybe some day.

Dan T.

Howdy Everyone... Ya'all are doing a great job around this electronic campfire. Everyone is busy learning

from each other and no "sour notes." This is great and the way it should be. I cannot thank Bill enough for

making this all happening... So keep on learning and sharing and it is absolutly great...

Now I have some bad news. Glenn Carson passed away just a few days ago. Cancer. But one of his daughters

will continue his book sales. Glenn was a great person... A few years ago he organized the collection of warm

clothes of all sizes, new and like new. But not dirty worn or torn. He got a truck full of clothes and personally

drove them down to a poor village in Mexico... Glenn wrote a monthly article for Western @ Eastern Magazine

for years until a few months ago.... Most Sad I be as Glenn was a great friend... Our ranks are thinning.... Glenn

has been selected by B.O.N.E. for 2014... This is a High Honor award given to the top one or two each year

for their great contribution to "treasure hunting."

Jim

That is sad news, Jim. Glen was a great resource for books and I have read/bought several of his own books too...

At 63 I am watching as friends pass over, get sick and generally level off or start down hill...the good news is down hill can be a fun ride!!!

Live now, Do It Now-tomorrow may never come!

fred

I spent the day with Jim on Wed. He wants all to know he is ok, but still having problems with his enternet. So put one more log on the electronic campfire. Anything you want to talk about just ask. He LOVES to share his knowledge, trade ideas so we can grow as prospectors. Man he has some good stories.

Dan T

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Dan I'm now able to again post on this forum. Please remember it is an open forum and all

are welcome to join in so don'y be shy no one will critcise but will help any one with a question. No

question is "dumb" or not construed as stupid... This is what the electonic campfire is about. So as

Dan said... put another log on the campfire and ask a question (hey likely I many not know the answer

myself and this is how I learn too).

Fred... You are right. Glen was about my age and a retired 6th grade teacher. He forged on and

became a well known author and publisher of many books. Not only that he was able to write

a monthy column for Western & Eastern Treasures until near the end and then passed away

with cancer. But Glen will live on in the memories of all he touched.

At sixty three you are still young with many good years ahead. Many of us feel "old" when they are known

as senior citizens, but in truth it is not true... You still have good years both mentally and physically.

But you wil nowl slowly start to lose old friends, relatiives and classmates... It could be thirty more years

from now many will be fading memories. This is life. Do not fear it... But do not rush it.. "Elderhood' can be

a good time...

Now recently I have received phone calls those who are visting this "our" electronic campfire

but as you know there are many who have not posted but please do...

I'm "hearing challenged" (hey pretty deaf and it is sad that I need to constantly say over the phone

"speak louder and slower as I do not understand." (However I have no little problem with Dan as

he has a strong voice amd in my best freqency range.) As we know due to frequency and

amplitued many of us prefer different headphones when we are out detecting.

More later... Thanks Bill Southern as you are paying the bills for the subforum.. Jim

Jim,

Sorry for your loss. Wishing you all the best.

Paul