Nugget Shooter Forums
jim straight

Jim Straight here

Thank you Chris and good to know my old friend is well and still getting out and about at 88.... Wow how time fly's. :miner:

• Like 3

Good to see Jim up and around. He is an icon of the hobby! His writings have been very important to my success as a miner/detectorist!

• Like 3

On 2/28/2018 at 8:01 AM, Mike Furness said:

Good to see Jim up and around. He is an icon of the hobby! His writings have been very important to my success as a miner/detectorist!

I'll second that!

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 3

I'll THIRD it! Thank you Jim for helping me learn how and where to look for gold!

straight 001.jpg

• Like 4

No finer gentleman than  Jim.....When  he is around you do not talk but listen to what he has to say.  You will learn much.    Howdy Jim hope all is ok.  Jerry

• Like 1

To All

It had been a long time that Jim and I talked by email but here today he’s wanting to know how I’m doing. I should have been the one checking on him being he’s got about eleven years on me.

I guess the odd thing is if one would want to say is Jim and I have never meet. Jim is got to be the greatest guy that I have ever known but like said never meet.

I think it all started when I sent Jim something that I can’t remember anymore. I wasn’t wanting anything in return but here came a flood of material for me to read.

I just know if we had more in this world like Jim Straight it would be a better place to live.

Jim I Thank You for you just being you!

Chuck Anders 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

To All

It had been a long time that Jim and I talked by email but here today he’s wanting to know how I’m doing. I should have been the one checking on him being he’s got about eleven years on me.

I guess the odd thing is if one would want to say is Jim and I have never meet. Jim is got to be the greatest guy that I have ever known but like said never meet.

I think it all started when I sent Jim something that I can’t remember anymore. I wasn’t wanting anything in return but here came a flood of material for me to read.

I just know if we had more in this world like Jim Straight it would be a better place to live.

Jim I Thank You for you just being you!

Chuck Anders 

Chuck, thanks for your post, I and I'm sure others are grateful to hear Jim is still doing Ok it seems, we miss him posting here.

• Like 1

Every time I was with Jim I only had one thing to do Sit down, Shut up and listen.......No one finer to learn  from.  A  real gentleman who loves to pass on what  he has learned in life.  It is amazing what he has published on  mining.  I have always walked away with more knowledge than I came with.  Jerry

• Like 2

A  funny about Jim.   He took a WW2 era mine sweep metal detector to a coin contest at Rancho Jurupa... The detector had no battery and  was not working.  He went into the field and picked up visible coins and pretended to be detecting.   Several people complained his big detector was interfering with theirs even though it was not working and they never bothered to ask.  Here's to you Jim.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5
  • well done 1
  • wow 1

Jim, when you sold me your autographed copy of your book many years ago, it lit a fire in me to get serious about metal detecting for nuggets, and I've done well because of your unselfish wish to help me understand how to detect for nuggets. As well, I'd say you've achieved your goal to educate others in the pursuit of gold, to teach them how it's done. I have a great respect for teachers; I have a great respect for you for your years of professional service as a teacher, and as someone so willing to help others in a truly kind way.

All the best,

Lanny

Edited by Lanny in AB
  • Like 5

The word is out that Jim has passed away. I last saw and spoke with Jim a bit over a year ago. He spent several hours on both Saturday and Sunday in the ICMJ booth with me at the Pomona GPAA show. He was a good man and wrote many books on prospecting as well as many articles for the ICMJ. It is sad to see him go. I know I posted this picture before, but its my last one with Jim.

jim_straight01.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

Very sad to hear. I wish i could have met him. Thanks for the update Chris.

Thank you for sharing all of your knowledge with us that learned from your writing's/books Mr Straight. Rest peacefully. 

Dan

• Like 2

I'm really sad to hear that as well. We corresponded vis email a number of times and have an autographed book from Jim. Jim and I knew some of the same people and hunted in the same areas but we never met. What a loss.

RIP Jim

• Like 3

Sorry to hear of Jim's Passing,rest in peace Jim

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Chris, RIP Jim, we'll never be the same without you among us and sharing your knowledge, such a great loss to our community!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of Jim's passing.  May you rest in peace Brother in Christ.  

Old Tom

• Like 2

Jim was a good friend and mentor to many of us, especially those of us who got involved in nuggetshooting in the pre-1990 era. In the late 1980's he would frequently visit us at the editorial offices of "Treasure" Magazine, where many happy hours were spent "talking gold.". He was rarely absent from GPAA Gold Shows in Southern California, Las Vegas, or Phoenix/Mesa. At one such Show he approached my booth, handed me a spectacular specimen of auriferous quartz, and asked me "Where do you think this was found in Southern California?. Studying it, I answered "[site A]". "Nope." "[site B?]." "Nope." "[site c?]" "Nope." I then asked, as he turning away "So where?" "Ain't tellin'" was his response. Then he added, "but I now know of 3 new places to try!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Oh the stories I have to remember him by, so sad...... RIP dear friend.

• Like 1

RIP sad to hear. I know he will live on in the words he wrote, the stories he told, and the wisdom he shared. 

• Like 1

My Mentor has left..... It is not that I am selfish, but I feel a loss like no other over this. I dealt with the pain of knowing a month or two back of this day coming. I am sad and proud to have known this man so well for so long. :Just_Cuz_06:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I never knew you Jim, but have heard many great things about you. Thank you for passing on such great knowledge. Bill has passed your knowledge along to so many including myself. I am so grateful and blessed to be a part of this gold prospecting community. RIP Jim Straight.

• Like 3

Rest in Peace Jim ...  Sorry we never got to meet in person but so glad for our electronic com and our phone chat. You will be missed by many and you leave such a huge void in our community by your passing. I will be forever grateful for having known you! 

• Like 3

RIP Jim..... loved talking gold with you...

Dave

• Like 3

R.I.P.  Mr. Straight, I'll see ya on the other side.

• Like 5

Jim's interest in gold mining came about due to the stories told him by his grandfather, Joseph Vietti. "Grandpa Joe" frequently regaled young Jim with stories about the wild and wooly mining camps in "the old days" 50 (and more) years before Jim was born. I collect gold mining camp ghost town tokens, and when I learned that Joe turned from being a gold miner to being a saloon keeper in Delamar Nevada (The Pioneer Saloon} I put forth a considerable effort to locate a Pioneer Saloon token. When I presented it to Jim as a gift his gratitude was so great that you would have thought I had given him the Hope Diamond. As seen from the comments in this and other forums, Jim touched many lives. The Midas touch. HH Jim

• Like 6