are good stewards on our earth and back-fill our dig-holes so they are not

open and unsafe hazard for others such as the tortoise or a bike-rider. We

all know better to target practice willy-nilly with both a large calibre

revolvers and high-powered rifles in areas where there are others wandering

around. We all know better than to target practice on killing pit-vipers

such as rattlesnakes, as they are important members of the natural critter

community and will not attack you and normally out your way; but if cornered

they will defend themselves... So we all know to just back off and let them

go away... (we all know most of the snake bites occure when someone teases them)

• Like 4

I really agree, Jim, about not killing rattlers (unless they are on my property, then they are toast!) ... We have a problem out in the LSD area in that the state or feds blocked off a huge and popular area over by Lake Pleasant which is 20 miles away ... Now, we have lots of Phoenix idiots shuffled to LSD who shoot indiscriminately even knowing that lots of folks use that area ... I got into an argument out there with two idiots who were shooting high powered rifles out across the whole general area where people are out recreating... They roughly turned their guns toward me and I got into my truck and left ... Discretion being the better part of valor and all! :cowboypistol: Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

Uncle Ron it is to easy to be able to pass

a background check at local gunshow and buy a handgun or rifle

without any knowledge on how to use it... Sad... jim

It's not so much the ease in buying a firearm of any type ... but it is about the ignorant and dangerous practice of so many 'shooters' ... Many shooters have it in their mind that they have a 'right' to shoot wherever and whenever because they have the right to own a firearm! Owning a firearm carries a responsibility with it! That responsibility is to others as much as it is to themselves to use it safely and conservatively! I have called the sheriff when I felt shooting was going on that was not being done in a responsible way ... you (generic use of the word 'you') should too ... I would not try to confront shooters doing wrong without backup even if I am carrying!

Mike F

• Like 2

Out on 'the claim' alcohol and carrying are a poor mix. But we-all know that. jim

• Like 2

And those who persist....perish.....or really hurt or kill someone else by drunken mistake..as usual words of wisdom o sage of the hills-take care Jim-John

Gosh to add to the mix is the current heat wave... It is best to avoid any alcohol and drink plenty of water while out on the claim.  But you'all  know that..... Best to wait until cooler weather occurs... jim                    

• Like 3

Sadly our great nation now is be plagued with racial tensions... As the late Rodney King once said "Why can't we get along"

I guess everyone needs to take a break and go out prospecting.... jim

• Like 3

Ya know Jim, we aren't going to see any resolve to this in our lifetime so the best thing we can do is treat each other with the respect we would want in return.  The young are going to make the difference here.  Keep on keeping on Bro.....

Old Tom

• Like 2

Sadly Old Tom...It seems "civilization" is lagging beyond our technology... Changing the subject "our" Bill Southern is really an accomplished writer. His latest article, Determining Depth Advantage  in the current July/August Gold Prospectors Magazine is a must read...well-written, understandable and concise... Bill really knows his subject!

Jim ... The other alternative to prospecting for me so as to keep me grounded and out of trouble is fishing from my kayak ... especially tournament fishing for Largemouth Bass out of my kayak! Don't get me wrong I love the prospecting game but love that tug on the end of the line too!

Mike F

• Like 1

Mike for me it doing local park coin hunting....

• Like 4

Hi Jim,

Nice to see you posting.  :D

I hope you are fairing well.

Take care,

Luke

• Like 3

I concur with Luke..!

Swamp

• Like 2

Great to hear your still out there Jim a swingn' :head: tons a au 2 u 2-John

• Like 3

Hi ya Jim, what you up to old friend? Fixing to get cooled off here and into the desert I go....

Hi JJ, I hope Jim is doing well and I have not heard from him in quite a spell now. We miss ya Jim....

I got an email from Jim about a week ago. A professor he had at the University of Nevada but I only knew of (he was still there when I started) had passed away at more than 100 years of age and Jim let me know. He was a young buck when Jim was there and the old guard when I was there (with almost 30 years in between).

Anyway, Jim is OK.

Chris

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Sadly the elders of this hobby are dying off.... young ones would rather spend time on Facebook than out finding gold.

Thanks for the update on Jim.

Jen

Thanks Chris I was wondering where Jim was its been quite a while since he posted here-Mike C...:200:

Hey Chris, tell Jim to stop in and say hello....

• Like 1

On 8/10/2017 at 6:07 AM, Bill Southern said:

Hey Chris, tell Jim to stop in and say hello....

X2

Chris, thanks for letting us know you have been in touch with JIm, I was getting pretty worried about how he is doing!

Edited by Au Seeker
Becasue my spell checker is broken!!
  • Like 2

I was at the GPAA gold show in southern California (Pomona) this last weekend and had the pleasure of having Jim Straight sit in with me in the ICMJ booth for some hours on both days. It was fun, though at 88 Jim is slowing down just a little. Otherwise, he is doing fine. Jim was not the oldest prospector at the show, Pete Pederson was there and he is 90. I hope I can hang in that long!

jim_straight01.jpg

Edited by Reno Chris
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the update Chris. I bet it was great hanging out with him.

Edited by nugget108
  • Like 1

Thanks for the post and photo Chris, we haven't heard from Jim on the forum in quite some time and I was wondering how he was doing, good to know he's getting out and about!! :thumbsupanim

• Like 2