Nugget Shooter Forums

Bill, Rimshot and All.

Jim is in very good spirits. Right now, with family changing a few things around it is a little hectic but soon things will be back on track. Jim has a laptop that has been set up for wifi. I will be going over on Monday and helping him get his power problem taken care of. Now this is the important port...he loves your questions. So keep them comeing. Rob is right. Jim is " A living icon in the prospecting, metal detecting and the mining field" We are so luckey to be able to ask him questions. He is a TRUE teacher who loves to share his knowledge. TRUE STORY, Jim would rather help you find a 3 oz nugget through him passing on some of his insights than for him to find it himself. He love to teach.

So as Jim would say...Throw one more log on the electronic camp fire, ask a question and be nice in life to everyone!!! always.

One more thing Bill and Rob, Jim is so thankfull for your forms and all the exposure you guys have given him. You guys don't ever know how much you meen to him.

Dan T.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A  funny about Jim.   He took a WW2 era mine sweep metal detector to a coin contest at Rancho Jurupa... The detector had no battery and  was not working.  He went into the field and picked up visible

The word is out that Jim has passed away. I last saw and spoke with Jim a bit over a year ago. He spent several hours on both Saturday and Sunday in the ICMJ booth with me at the Pomona GPAA show. He

Bill what I'm trying to say and continue to say it badly, but at my age I'm on my way out. I've had my 15 seconds of fame years ago... My day is past. I liken myself as a caboose on a train... Thus

Posted Images

Hi, Jim, haven`t crossed trails with you since that great thread on 'Leached Outcrops and Gossans' on Doc`s forum back in 2004. Sorry to hear you are battling but as you say, 'one door shuts, anothery opens' . Now you can`t get around so much, you will have time to pass on more of your knowledge. That`s what I do these days---just talk about it, but the newbies seem to like to hear my advice. Some even score a bit of gold. :D Shame we only met on the `net, but I think we would have got on. That`s if you like bad cooking. All the best, Tailgate.

Roscoe

Jim here thanks to Dan. (he is helping me type this and got my laptop going)

Hi Roscoe I remember you. Please keep them coming, the questions that is. Your a smart guy . We need more imput for you and others. Welcome back to the form. Yes we must share our information to keep the fires burning.

Bill more that happy to get you started. Thank you for now keeping it going with this form. You know more than me. The student has out shined the teacher.

Rimshot thank you for all your help and imput.

Au Seeker yes it was good to talk to Rob. We had a good loooooooog talk. I will have Dan send the books Rob.

Well guys we are just testing out the new laptop and all looks good. So lets all get to work and start asking some questions. I will be talking to you soon.

Jim aka Tailgate.

Edited by jim straight

Well hey there Jim! I have been crossing my fingers each day for your return. I think i'll give you a call soon just to chat and see how your doing. Take care my friend.

Rim

Hi Jim, good to see you back online, hey a heads up there is a program called Dragon Speak you can get and eliminates the need to type at forums, email, etc. Just talk and your laptop hears it and writes for you.... Real easy to use.

Jim!

It warms my heart to see you still alive and kicking. You may not remember me, but I was a member for both PCSC and Chino Valley Prospectors about 15 years ago. I had lots of changes in my life and was unable to continue with the hobby for a while. I always remembered our field trips and riding up to Randsburg with you. I've never forgotten our conversations on the long drives, nor have I forgotten the things you taught me. I'll never forget your generosity--lending me your Tesoro Diablo since I had no detector of my own, and I will never forget all the targets you gave me. I wish I could have continued in the hobby, and continuds learning from you, instead of having to give it up.

I hope you are on the mend. I've seen that you may not walk again, but I certainly hope that is not the case. I hope to see you around often.

Thanks for everything,

Phil

Edited by d_day

Jim, Sure sorry to hear about your fall! I was in the hospital the 18 of June for right hip replacement so I am just now getting back on the forum and catching up. Glad you are doing better, tomorrow the 18 of July is my one month checkup with my surgeon. I am doing well but have a lot of rehab ahead, wish now I had got it done sooner.

I was very sad to hear of Glenn's passing, he was a treasure hunting, gold prospecting and mine operating wonder. I don't know how he found he time to do all he did!

Many people owe their start in prospecting to both of you for the books that you both authored and sold.

Get well soon and keep pounding on that laptop , I sure miss Randsburg and its friendly people, glad you where able to visit your old friends there.

Max

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried to call and no rings just a message to leave a message. Dan, if you are close, maybe drop by and see what's wrong with his phone please. I sure hope all is well.

Rim

• Like 1

Rimshot, All is ok. Worked with him Monday, and he went to DDS. today. If you call don't leave a message. Just call back till you get the live Jim.

He has a off suite answering machine he hates. But all is good and last check wiyh Dr. up went well.

Dan T.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jim.

I have a quick question when you have a chance if you could answer.

I bought your book:Advanced Prospecting & Detecting for Hardrock Gold.

I am wanting to purchase your book,Follow the Drywashers.

Which revision, or number do you recommend i buy for using my whites Goldmaster I just purchased.

I am no newbie as I have a few other detectors.Just want the tech stuff.

Of course if any other members have an opinion,chime in please.

I can buy one now but it is volume or edition #6, and the person says it says Mining.

Thanks for anyones help.And of course to you Jim.

Hi all,

Jim is doing well and on the mend. I'm taking him out for lunch today.

roadsrunner, I'm a little unclear on your question. Volume 6 is the last addition. Be a little more spacific and I will try and help or ask Jim as it is still hard for him to respond.

Dan T.

roadsrunner,

Just got back froms Jim's. Read him your question. You want Nugget Shooters Bible Vol. 3, 7th addition. You can get one from Bill Southern.

Jims wants to know if you are talking about the Goldmaster GMT? He also says for you to PM me your address and he will send you some information.

Dan T.

Just letting you know I just got off of the phone with Mr. Jim Straight and I don't think i've ever met someone with such a positive outlook as him. So with that said, in time, I think Mr. Jim will return to post again in time. He certainly picked my spirit up for sure.

Just letting you know Mr. Jim is a fighter and he loves life too much to give up. And that's GREAT!

Rim

roadsrunner,

Just got back froms Jim's. Read him your question. You want Nugget Shooters Bible Vol. 3, 7th addition. You can get one from Bill Southern.

Jims wants to know if you are talking about the Goldmaster GMT? He also says for you to PM me your address and he will send you some information.

Dan T.

Thank you.

I just purchased the Goldmaster V/Sat by Whites.Used. It is the one from 95 to 98.

For instance,on Amazon there is a listing for Follow the Drywashers, Volume 3. The Nugget Shooters Bible.

A person has one for sale that says Follow the Drywashers. Volume 3. The Nugget Shooters Bible. But he says it says MIning some where in the book,or on the inside cover.

PLus,it has a different picture of him on the cover.

What I want to know is,are his Follow the Drywasher books,the same,even though the picture on the front cover might be different.

Hope Jim is doing fine.

Tell him hello,and thanks at the same time. A new fan he has.

Oh,forgot,who is Bill Southern?

Edited by roadsrunner

Matt (Roadrunner) Great to see you on this forum. great bunch of people here and i'm fairly new myself and have yet to meet everyone. As Jims friend suggested Follow the Drywashers volume 3 Seventh edition is what i ordered about four days ago. Just a lucky guess on my part.

Joe

Thanks for the welcome Joe.

The one at Amazon says 7th edition. It has him in a pic holding a metal detector.

The one I can purchase has the same title,volume 3, but it has a pic of him kneeling down looking at a pan,with a metal detector(looks like my v/sat I just bought),and it says 6th edition.

So,I just wanted to make sure that the books are the same books,and contain the same info. Or,has newer version come out.

Also,the person selling theres,for some reason,said the book he is selling,says Mining.

I will have to ask him where he is getting the word Mining from.

Found 2 mistakes I have been doing with my new(to me).

MD.thanks for your help again.

Edited by roadsrunner

howdy all... Jim here.... I'm on my laptop, Hard to use it and very slow typist, as the keyboard is small and my fingers have a mind of ,

All is fine... getting better each day. Left hip is healing and pretty soon I will be free from my now about two years wheelchair which has faithfully

been a with with both Gloria and I through both good and not so good times. Dan took me out to lunch and to a wheelchair service shop where

it was skillfully fixed... It is my freedom as with it I can truly zip around on a hard surface,... Sorry about the typos as tt is now pastime

to feed and cleanup "Blue" who is a very sick no longer ferrlal kitten My Best to All and Thanks.... Dan can explain more about the connectiom

between epithermal's and CARLIN-type "invisible" gold. which has always excited me. "tailgate" jim

Jim ... Good to see you beginning to post again. Your posts are always so full of ... information ... and you thought I was going to say something else! :4chsmu1:

Keep up the good work healing yourself Jim ... no one can keep a good man down when he wants up badly enough!

Mike F

roadsrunner,

Bill Southern is who runs/ownes this form. You can go to the top left of this page and click on NUGGETSHOOTERS.COM my main Website. Bill does not charge us for using this website form, so it is nice to support Bill by purchasing prospecting thing when we can from him.

Thank you Bill for this form.

Dan T.